exhaust manifold: single vs twin entry

gpmarzan

Hey guys. Question regarding the old st165 exhaust manifold vs the twin entry on the 2nd gen. Pretty much on the turbo placement. Does the singly entry places the turbo lower and to the left(or right?) compare to the 2nd gen? I know there was a small placement difference between the two but I just cant remember. Trying to see if it will help with my clearance issue I have.

btw...I do miss my st165. My 92 MR2T is great, but just not the same. Someone scored a nice st185 around my town. He was asking about my MR2. Maybe I'll go trade him? lol :p

GT4_Vinnie

From what I can see, with both manifolds, the 165 is located at a slightly different angle then the 185, I think when its on the vehicle, i didn't notice any issues with left or right movement, just the 185 manifold had less distance from the block/head and didn't allow factory WG actuator arm to seat properly, Hence why I've got external.

Hope that helped a little.

Vinnie

Awesome-Trac

gpmarzan said:
Hey guys. Question regarding the old st165 exhaust manifold vs the twin entry on the 2nd gen. Pretty much on the turbo placement. Does the singly entry places the turbo lower and to the left(or right?) compare to the 2nd gen? I know there was a small placement difference between the two but I just cant remember. Trying to see if it will help with my clearance issue I have.

btw...I do miss my st165. My 92 MR2T is great, but just not the same. Someone scored a nice st185 around my town. He was asking about my MR2. Maybe I'll go trade him? lol :)

If he trades I say "DO IT"

gpmarzan

GT4_Vinnie":3lcapmwf said:
From what I can see, with both manifolds, the 165 is located at a slightly different angle then the 185, I think when its on the vehicle, i didn't notice any issues with left or right movement, just the 185 manifold had less distance from the block/head and didn't allow factory WG actuator arm to seat properly, Hence why I've got external.

Hope that helped a little.

Vinnie

Thanks for the reply. The reason I asked is that I have a bullseye single port turbo mated with the 2nd gen dual exit manifold. The current placement of the turbo creates a contact point between the downpipe and ac compressor hard line. I pretty much had to beat the crap out of the dp and bend the ac line just to make it fit. I wanted to see if the st165 manifold would make the fit better.

mx6er2587

if I recall from when I had my single entry manifold it angles the turbo down more and brings it an inch or so closer to block