ST185 conversion to ST205

sMARTINside

My car had the same problem, starting, not like yours. I cut all that metal and welded new sheet metal around to solidify it.

Overtriped

I'm thinking if grinding it back to the square tubing that its attached to and fabricating a new bracket that is about the same size as the other one. I'll post up my rear end teardown pics - lets see what treasures lie Beneath. Nice tercel btw, thoes cars are fun to drive!

Overtriped

Haven't posted in a bit.. Ive decided to rebuild my JDM st185 motor for now, got stiffed for the 205 setup. Gonna work with what i have. Sold my stock AT hood and bumper today, and also picked up a good 3sgte shortblock from a wrecked 93. Has some miles on it but everything seems to be in good condition.The shortblock has never been apart, or rebuilt. Cylinder walls look nice and smooth, could use a honing. Ill prob. take the whole thing apart, check clearances, clean it up and repaint it. I might get another longblock setup for a decent price, but that one has been rebuilt and has a scored cylinder wall. ( I dont like the idea of boring it twice, or at all really...) Other than the bored,scored block that might be a good thing to have on top of this 93 usdm shortblock and my ?year JDMst185... Could prob make one good motor with 3 right? haha... other than buying rings, gaskets and all the non reusable stuff.
I'm going to talk to my freind who has a valve grinder and try and do the shimless bucket conversion with a nice valve job. Trying to get a 3sge Side feed intake plenum... working on that... prob. run the stock cams and gears right now... also will be using my good ct26 on this engine. Eventually id like to build a 5sgte and get a nice Garret with a standalone. Untill ive got 6k to spend on that ill try and use what i got in front of me. After all its not a bad pile of parts.:) ill post pics in a sec...
6502A490-D443-48C1-9DD6-324AB89F49E0-559-0000006CA3891CC6_zps3f6fc709.jpg
1D82F307-85EC-4419-B3C1-B6079984FD20-559-0000006C894F35F3_zpsd02758d5.jpg
309F792B-F23C-4A9E-9794-6A5CE09F56B0-559-0000006C72CF5ABC_zps3bb9b3c0.jpg

I just hope the corrosion in the water jacket isn't going to be an issue with this block...

Overtriped

Oh yeah. If I use these parts I will defiantly do that, I don't want rust and dirt in my cooling system, or anywhere for that matter.

mixer72

are you keeping the 185 head? just that if you get the 162 side feed manifold it will only fit the 185 head

Overtriped

Called my local Toyota dealership today and inquired about some celica bibles... Shop manuals.. Gotten this far without one. Its about time for me to get it, since ive never rebuilt a 3sgte. Needing all the info I can get, this needs to be done properly. They quoted me about 100$. I could get a free .doc online, but it's not the same as a book.

Cleaned up my shop a bit today, put my seats in the attic- they are HEAVY... Also putting the short block on the stand was pretty fun too. Noticed that KO racing has some pretty sweet stuff, prob get his rebuilt kit, TRD thermostat and ported fuel rail, when I get $- This spring/summer should be pretty solid so I'll have this thing built in the next 6 months.
Also when my loan is paid for this car I get the money back, then I'll have the money for a nice turbo, and then some. My short term goal is to get this running at stage 1 and built to withstand big power. this way i dont have to pull the engine again. Once this car is running reliably I'm selling my Truck, which I'm doing a brake job on calipers, rotors(bolt on maunaly locking hubs) and pads... $400 parts, PITA. Looking forward to having a sick gt4, that the brakes are much Easyer to replace.

Overtriped

Sold my Truck, Bought this 5spd 94 ST 100000 miles, got a little cash on hand now. Ordered the ST185 shop manual today, Made contact with my parts supplier finally, Getting another mk2 Long block (good for parts only doesn't run.. head has been built though) hopefully a couple exhaust manifolds, hes also giving me a Greddy Emannage Ultimate, and some cash, got the side-feed intake plenum- hopefully being shipped now.... My parts pile is getting larger. Contacted a couple of friends with mechanical skills to help me get this thing together. Have to lock down a good machinist who wont destroy my wallet. Really want to get all new valves, springs, and shimless buckets, all new seats.. possibly new shafts/gears. Gotta ways to go but progress is being made. Once this thing is running and on the rd ill sell this ST and continue upgrading. More photos to come :D
7E46A0F7-F2A5-43EA-875E-1AD7C221BEF4-656-000000FEF57864CA_zps83380533.jpg
-

Overtriped

Picked up this GReddy Emannage Ultimate, working on a patch plug, I believe it came with an AFM sensor with plug, not sure yet though.
22416A06-8F33-4764-91FD-1E753C135D04-331-0000003A806302BF_zps586e0bce.jpg

Also picked these up today, for thoes who can't see the right side of the photo there is also my new 1991 celica engine manual ( celica bible ) :)
41C60685-0C42-4F38-8A10-A28A541F5662-331-0000003A3B1DEC37_zps8079a77a.jpg

Overtriped

Buying a st205 engine, trans, ecu, and wiring
Harness on sat :) cash money, Truckin' it up myself.
Excited to see what they have in the JDM warehouse!!

Overtriped

FINALLY :smokes: !! This is the clip I picked up this weekend.
When checking out the warehouse I also stumbled upon this TRUST 2.5in cat-back from a st205, Now all i need to do is finish my mid pipe section, this piece will save me some time and $$ Hope its not too loud :/
B5467312-0B41-48B1-9591-B3921841E82D-385-00000045381F3C06_zps581cf8b9.jpg

Dinosaur lift strikes back!! My GF is 5'2 so you have an idea of how big that damn lift is, threw my back out rolling the engine around my garage on a 4 wheel dolly, and having to move that lift is a nightmare. Not to mention whoever installed our garage doors was not qualified, they are nearly impossible to get up and down.
C35A6484-7B7D-400B-8BB4-14C9338E55B5-1266-000000EE1A18FF9E_zpsadde95ff.jpg

alltracman78

Sweet!
Looks like you got a WRC engine. Not much different from a regular one other than the disabled antilag, but it's cool I guess.
Though it does have the steel wheel CT20b.
That's one gigantic hoist; looks like it was for cast iron big blocks. holy crap.

If you have a 185 harness you're better off using it and attaching the plastic from the 205 harness onto it.

Different girl than the one I met, right?
I don't remember her being that short. :p

Overtriped

Yeah, haha... I just started Dating her, this wiring is making me shweaty.
I do have the harness from my 2nd gen engine, already taken off. I'm still not exactly sure what I have to do to make this work. Need to sit down and do my homework. Any tips appreciated.

alltracman78

What year is your 185 harness?

Either way it's pretty close to bolt in [the harness].

The chassis stuff stays the same, and most of the engine stuff is the same or very similar.

For now I'm actually just using small jumper harnesses [just 2 wires each] for the sensors that are in different positions, so I can get the car running. This is how I ran the 205 ECU on my 185 engine.
I'm building a harness from the 205 one, but that's because I don't want to cut up a 185 one.

You can either use jumper harnesses and repin a few things or if you don't mind cutting the 185 harness up [just a little bit].

I'll try to go a little more into detail later, I don't have time for more right now.