turbo bearings

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: turbo bearings

Postby l0ch0w » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 am

The problem is efr turbos are impossible to buy due to availability problems. And they cost $2k

Match-bot is freaking sweet though
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
Frankenstein engine, lots of mods :P
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby tw2 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:51 am

donnyavery wrote:any one have any feed back on using the TD06-20g? can it get you into the big hp numbers

In my humble opinion, this is an antique.
Thomas, JDM 90 185, 06 350z
tw2
Established Member

Postby l0ch0w » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:05 pm

^ This is true... Since the 20g we've got to see neat things developed like:

-Extended tip compressor blades
-Billet compressor wheels
-New materials science with Turbine wheels (TiAl, Ceramics etc...)
-Commercially available ball bearing turbos
-Anti-surge housings
-New machining processes allowing for thinner, more lightweight rotating components
-Better blade designs for increased flow
-Cast stainless exhaust housings

This list could probably go on for awhile, but given the popularity and low pricing of the 20g its not a bad choice still for a budget 300-350 awhp project.
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby donnyavery » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:26 pm

nothing is getting heated here im just here for info so i dont wast my time or money and if someone here thinks im not as educated as them thats fine hell it might be true but im just here for info and opinions but im not going to fight with anyone hell if i wanted to fight with someone that thinks im below them i can sit here and fight with my wife
as for the 20g seems to be out thanks to the info and opinions i think ill look for something else oh and i have been looking at compressor maps but some times whats on paper vs what works in real world environment is two different things thats why im here to find out what works and dont
im not asking all this questions because im a noob or any thing to turbos(but with that said i also know there's all ways more to learn) its just i have all ways built 4age's and this is my first full build 3sgte build and this motor has total different characteristics
it's called nitrous moron
donnyavery
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby l0ch0w » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:52 pm

In an effort to keep the flame-wars at bay, can I get some ideas on what we are looking at with your build? There are hundreds of threads a month like this at any given car forum, so I apologize for acting so skeptical and cynical, but alot of us with high dollar builds get a little jaded when we see people throw things around like wanting to plop a 70mm turbo into their 2.0L with little explanation or direction. Help us out so we can maybe point you towards an end goal. There is nothing more disappointing than to spend lots of money on parts that dont work well together. Remember, your motor will only be as capable as its weakest component.

Here are some things that will help us to point you in the right direction:

-Budget & Timeline
-Power Goals (if you are unsure of a HP number, give examples of what you want it to do)
-Is your car an AllTrac or a HalfTrac?
-Will you be wrenching on the car? Or is this going to be done at a shop?
Andrew

1991 Red Alltrac
l0ch0w
Established Member

1991 Toyota Celica

Postby donnyavery » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:43 pm

l0ch0w wrote:-Budget & Timeline
-Power Goals (if you are unsure of a HP number, give examples of what you want it to do)
-Is your car an AllTrac or a HalfTrac?
-Will you be wrenching on the car? Or is this going to be done at a shop?

time: senses this season street legel drags is almost over and my money situations im shooting for the end of next summer

budget:is kind of as i go, as i put money together to buy parts one at a time i got gen2 block and gen3 crank and should be ordering h-beams this week and ect

power:i i think i need to be like in the 375 to 400 awhp, im trying shooting for a mid to high 12sec street bracket (ever sense the flood of srt's at our local track even 12's will not be real competitive)

my car is a 1990 altrac not at fwd swap 3sgte

i will be doing all the work except the machening that will be done by a friend if mine Andy jensen http://www.jensensenginetech.com/
it's called nitrous moron
donnyavery
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby tw2 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:33 am

The goal of turbo selection is to use the smallest fastest spooling turbo that will meet your goals.

gtx3076, precision 5857 and an equivalent from compturbo would be what I would be looking at for your power goal. All of these come with either double or triple ball bearings, some offer ceramic ball bearings, all have some sort of advanced compressor blade materials- mostly billet aluminum and advanced designs. They are all pretty good value for money. I think borg warner ERF turbos are nice but too expensive and not really much better than the new stuff from other companies. I would stick with a T3 footprint with hopefully a 0.63A/R.

It also depends how much boost you want to run since you can make the same power on 10psi and 30psi depending on the turbo.
Thomas, JDM 90 185, 06 350z
tw2
Established Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power