Engine and tranny swap

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Engine and tranny swap

Postby nextmod93 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:07 am

Hi, i have a 1990 celica all trac and i found a jdm 1993 RS/CS celica front clip... i was wondering if i used the jdm ecu will my speedometer read correctly? like it wouldnt be read wrong being my celica from Canada and the front clip from Japan... and whats the speed cap in Japan? will i need to get a speed limit defencer? is there anything else i will need for it to run correctly? is there any other info i should know about while doing this swap? sorry if my questions are confusing...
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
nextmod93

Re: Engine and tranny swap

Postby Redrkt01 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:40 am

I don't know if the RC uses an electronic speedo, but if it does just switch it over to the mechnical one that you currently use in your 185. End of problem. If you're getting a front clip then everything should be there that you'll need. If you've got the money for the swap go ahead an pull the trigger. It'll be a fun experience.
1989 ST162
1988 ST165 Black
1988 ST165 Red Parts Car
Redrkt01
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:16 pm

Speed limiter in Japan is 180kph which is about 112mph. Its up to you if you want/need to go faster than that.

The ECU has nothing do do with the speedometer. Your gauge cluster uses a mechanical speedo that you should keep during the swap. There are minor wiring differences between the RC and the standard Alltrac/GT4 for the intercooler pump circuitry that you will have to take care of.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby quieter » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:30 pm

the JDM ecu cuts at 180 km/h, so yeah you will need to get a speed limit defender, dont forget to stay mechanical for the odometer. i believe only st205 came electronic but you can still put a mechanical one. dont forget to polyfill your mounts, change the clutch and add a 10-12 pound flywheel if the clip doesnt have one. if your on a budget then resurface the flywheel. release bearing too is a must. Get those shifter bushings replaced by the brass ones its max 20$ on ebay. Make sure that clip comes with the the rear subframe because its for sure an LSD because its an RC clip. not every all trac has LSD

good luck with the build!
1990 toyota ST185 with st205 goodies (scrapped)
2011 BMW 535xi M pack (daily)

-Simon
quieter
Club Member

Return to Performance and Power