CT20B

Kyoto

Thanks Chris. Are there any issues in fitting the 185 manifold to the 165 head? The price i can probably pick the CT20b up for should almost certainly allow for work of this nature. :)

Kyoto

A few weeks ago i bought what looks to be a CT20B. I say it looks like a 20B because i haven't seen it yet, but from the seller's picture on eBay the compressor housing was 20B so...

Anyway, the pic only had the compressor housing and the wheels, ie no ancillaries such as a manifold, heat shield, oil/water lines.

What i would like to know is whether or not the CT26 ancillaries (more specifically the oil and water lines, and wastegate etc) are interchangeable. I know the heatshield prolly wont be but the other stuff im not too sure about.

Any help appreciated. :)

lhoy12

Have any of you heard of the CT27 from ATS? It will cost $850 with your core. There is a 4 part thread on the MR2 Board, over 350 posts in there.
There are 4 parts to the thread:
Part 1 - http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39877
Part 2 - http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40771
Part 3 - http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49406
Part 4 - http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52635

*Note, the jump in hp between runs is b/c they went from 2.5" dp to 3" dp

Here's a few dyno's from it:
Todd's car is a plain ol' 2.0

BTW that 17 psi pull was just a quick 3rd gear run, I wasn't really planning on testing at that boost (hence the poor tuning there) but thought some people might be interested.

Aaron
3versus25.JPG
[/url]

lhoy12

The CT27 is not just a CT26 with T4 46 mm upgrade. ATS won't release the specs, but the is torn apart, they do a complete makeover on the whole thing and replace oil seals etc. MR2 guys just can't wait to get their hands on one, it is $1150 but if you send them your CT26 then you get $300 back so it comes down to $850. So before you jump all over CT20B and spend $650-$750 which you will have to be pushing to its very limits to hit 300 whp, you may want to consider this turbo, it will be released shortly.

Kyoto

Thanks for the prompt replies as always guys. I would buy the ATS CT27 except for one thing, money! I was able to pick up the CT20B for a song and a dance (about $350 USD) and the engine its going on is hella old (VIN 735!) so i don't really wanna push it without a host of longevity insuring products.

Cheers
Tim

stevieg

BTW the CT20B WILL NOT fit on the 165 manifold, just spent 7 hours trying it and now i gotta pull it all back off, it is possible to physically fit the turbo but the 165 manifold places the downpipe aimed directly at the radiator.

will get pics tommorow

steve

ChrisD

That is correct. Like I said you need a 185 manifold and more than likely will have to relocate the oil cooler, and possibly the oil filter. :)

Good luck with it!

Too add to this thread, Im now running a 13.6 on this turbo at only 14psi...still have the stock jdm ecu too.

stevieg

still debating on whether or not to drop in my complete gen3 motor yet, bigges thing is it isnt ready yet (havent finished cleaning it up yet). That and i dont know if i am gonna keep the car long term yet.

steve

stevieg

i'll probably decide what i am going to do in the spring, gonna drive the alltrac for the winter and see if it grows on me, my last project car was an 87 mr2 with gen3@17psi which laid down a 13.2@102mph with zero tuning and massive heatsoak, then it promptly burnt up the next day :-( so me hopping into this alltrac it really feels like a slug in all aspects of performance.

steve

AWDios

what do we think the max boost should be on a 20b. Not thinking so much for now as after a do more mods, just trying to see where this thing will top out.

ChrisD

If tuned properly, I can see it being quite efficient up to ~21psi. Maybe a bit more. You could get deep into the 12's on this turbo if you wanted to imho.

MARLON1211

okay as soon as am done with my vacation am considering getting a 20b. Can't wait, does anyone have this on their track installed and running especially on a 185 allready, did it make a whole lot of differenceI know lots of MR2 guys favoring this set-up especially for its no hassle bolt on, and a turbo upgrade.

ChrisD

Yeah I have a 185 engine...so everything that I'd said on this turbo should apply to you as well. :)

Can't say much. It's a kick ass turbo!