help me choose a turbo

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

help me choose a turbo

Postby Shafer777 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:23 pm

so i have an '88 all trac with a '92 mr2 swap with the second gen twin entry ct26, nothing fancy. the bearings went to poop bcs of a crap BOV, and well i've always wanted more. nothing crazy, but my stock ct26 with a godspeed header setup, 3in DP to 2.75 full stainless exhaust, 2.5" intercooler hoses and an HKS front mount intercooler, its like 4x8x36 or something like that, came with the car and never measured it but you get the idea. but stock turbo i could reach 20psi at around 3.5k but quickly dropped and cant hold anything more than 13psi up near red line. i've researched it enough to understand that a ct26 is only capable of that.

my question is simple, i just want a factory bolt in replacement that can make 25psi but hold at, at least 20psi. i want to retain my current downpipe and headers and not add that many supporting mods such as pistons and rods and that crap, money is limited. i already have bigger injectors and fuel pump.

i was thinking about using my core (after i rebuild it first) and using either a 16-20g, supra, or gt35 compressor swap. only bad thing is i cant seem to find details on how these compressor swaps work with the ct26 exhaust turbine and lag times, i would like something that spools about as fast as mine so i dont have to retune it (currently tuned for 25psi, how that is, idk, thats what the previous owner said anyways) . i know that the twin entry is a little restrictive due to its purpose being a faster spooling ct26. ive already ruled out the ct20b (or ct26c2), whatever you call it, due to this fact. i really need help with this so i can get my car back on the road, if no one helps, my car will sit for eternity as i ponder what to do haha, well thanks guys!

**i hope most of my info is right, i got it all from different forums, its what happens when i get a free day in school on the computer, i'd much rather look up this stuff vs play games
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Shafer777
Club Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 am

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby monkey8oi » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:03 pm

20psi on a stock ct26? that turbo is only efficient to about 16psi or so.. anything after that, you're pretty much out of air with that turbo.. if you want to keep your downpipe and exhaust manifold, i think your best plug n play option is the ct20b but you're maxing out that turbo at about 18psi.. otherwise you can go with a KOracing gt28 turbo kit.. but with those kits, you'll need to retune to utilize the max potential of whatever turbo you get.. if it was me, i would go with a gt30 kit and be done with it.. good luck with your decision..
monkey8oi
Club Member
 
Posts: 777
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:11 pm
Location: South San Francisco

1988 Toyota Celica

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby 4rsnduction » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:42 pm

Bite the bullet, spend big and get a Borg Warner EFR series turbo.....they are the best.
Waiting list times can be annoying...and you will need a custom exhaust manifold and dump pipe...but its worth it.
User avatar
4rsnduction
Club Member
 
Posts: 452
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby aus jd 2703 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:45 am

ive heard of their being casting defects of the turbine housing with the EFR's but they should have fixed that by now.
and also they are sensitive to being spun to fast, this causes a shaft failure. again their both rumors ive heard but they were enough to make me question it. just throwing it out there
aus jd 2703
Established Member
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:02 am

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby 4rsnduction » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 am

Rumors are nothing more than words with no weight behind them, anyone can start a rumor.
Casting defects...possibly, shaft problems...no way
All the top European manufacturers use Borg Warner turbo.
User avatar
4rsnduction
Club Member
 
Posts: 452
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Fox 21 Alpha » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:40 am

25 psi with minimal supporting mods? I feel a rebuild in your future....
User avatar
Fox 21 Alpha
Club Member
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:21 am
Location: PA

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:52 pm

You want a bit more from a turbo that bolts into the stock location. Have you looked into upgrading the ct26? CT27 or other alteration versions? I know there is a guy on mr2oc doing it. Think it is in the 600 range or something like that.
The more you increase that boost the more supporting mods you will need. Lack of fuel will become an issue quickly with the tiny stock 440s

~James
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
User avatar
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3480
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:45 pm
Location: DFW Texas

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Shafer777 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:45 pm

Fox 21 Alpha wrote:25 psi with minimal supporting mods? I feel a rebuild in your future....


the car has remained the same since i've bought it and the only thing that has started to fail is the clutch every now and then, it is a mr2 engine swap, im sure other things were done to the motor, but im just assuming that if i go any bigger than what it is now, then ill have to do some supporting mods, but if i keep it within a couple psi to the same then i will be pushing it. if something lets go then i have a race car project. but i just want it to hold constant pressuse.
Shafer777
Club Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 am

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Shafer777 wrote:
Fox 21 Alpha wrote:25 psi with minimal supporting mods? I feel a rebuild in your future....


the car has remained the same since i've bought it and the only thing that has started to fail is the clutch every now and then, it is a mr2 engine swap, im sure other things were done to the motor, but im just assuming that if i go any bigger than what it is now, then ill have to do some supporting mods, but if i keep it within a couple psi to the same then i will be pushing it. if something lets go then i have a race car project. but i just want it to hold constant pressuse.


Upgraded ct26 and your good.
~James
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
User avatar
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3480
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:45 pm
Location: DFW Texas

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Shafer777 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:05 pm

what exactly do they do to the ct26 to upgrade it? i've went through some metal working and welding classes, and i have done my own port and polish jobs on some of my quads (i race MX and do quite a bit of my own motor work). i know theres a huge difference between a motor and a turbo obviously, but shoot me with what has to be done and i can judge if i coud do some of it myself or to have a professional do it all.
Shafer777
Club Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 am

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Mafix » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:47 pm

my 2 cents...
how long do you want your turbo to last?
do you like turbo noises?
how much power are you planning on?
Mafix
Gold Member
 
Posts: 5877
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:56 pm

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby 4rsnduction » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:50 am

Mafix wrote:do you like turbo noises?

Trick question ?
User avatar
4rsnduction
Club Member
 
Posts: 452
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Mafix » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:56 pm

yes = everything else
no = efr
Mafix
Gold Member
 
Posts: 5877
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:56 pm

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby gearhead313 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:39 pm

Shafer777 wrote:so i have an '88 all trac with a '92 mr2 swap with the second gen twin entry ct26, nothing fancy. the bearings went to poop bcs of a crap BOV, and well i've always wanted more. nothing crazy, but my stock ct26 with a godspeed header setup, 3in DP to 2.75 full stainless exhaust, 2.5" intercooler hoses and an HKS front mount intercooler, its like 4x8x36 or something like that, came with the car and never measured it but you get the idea. but stock turbo i could reach 20psi at around 3.5k but quickly dropped and cant hold anything more than 13psi up near red line. i've researched it enough to understand that a ct26 is only capable of that.

my question is simple, i just want a factory bolt in replacement that can make 25psi but hold at, at least 20psi. i want to retain my current downpipe and headers and not add that many supporting mods such as pistons and rods and that crap, money is limited. i already have bigger injectors and fuel pump.

i was thinking about using my core (after i rebuild it first) and using either a 16-20g, supra, or gt35 compressor swap. only bad thing is i cant seem to find details on how these compressor swaps work with the ct26 exhaust turbine and lag times, i would like something that spools about as fast as mine so i dont have to retune it (currently tuned for 25psi, how that is, idk, thats what the previous owner said anyways) . i know that the twin entry is a little restrictive due to its purpose being a faster spooling ct26. ive already ruled out the ct20b (or ct26c2), whatever you call it, due to this fact. i really need help with this so i can get my car back on the road, if no one helps, my car will sit for eternity as i ponder what to do haha, well thanks guys!

**i hope most of my info is right, i got it all from different forums, its what happens when i get a free day in school on the computer, i'd much rather look up this stuff vs play games



I hope you can understand that an "upgraded" stock turbo at 20psi would make less than a "properly" sized turbo at say 13psi...? Get the PSI figure out of your head and focus on lag, spool time and peak hp.

If you must have a bolt on turbo, then I'll throw out this recommendation:

http://gpopshop.com/toyota-turbos/

I've used them for a lot of hybrid/custom turbos that dont exist except in my evil dreams. They are very knowledgeable and can help you obtain your goal.........once you figure it out that is!
ST165 counter:
#2597 - fail
#3193 - fail
#xxxx - sold
#4598 - sold to Canada eh
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/gearhead313/turbosticker.jpg[/img]
User avatar
gearhead313
Established Member
 
Posts: 1358
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 8:17 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

1988 Toyota Celica

Re: help me choose a turbo

Postby Shafer777 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:48 am

That actually helped me out the most so far lol. Thanks man
Shafer777
Club Member
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:05 am

Next

Return to Performance and Power

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest