going from 2nd gen to 3rd

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

going from 2nd gen to 3rd

Postby scottjackson1209 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:29 am

So I currently have a 2nd Gen 3S-GTE in my 88 All Trac...The engine came out of an american MR2 and is getting really tired and worn down. I'm looking at buying a 3rd gen 3S-GTE but first I have a few questions from the experts. I have a custom Exhaust manifold for my 2nd Gen, will this fit the third? what other parts are interchangeble? Which gen 3S-GTE do you guys recommend? I'm planning on 300-350WHP Max and would eventually like to get a MegaSquirt ECU...is ther support for a 3rd gen? I haven't been able to find any if there is.

Thanks for any replies!
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
scottjackson1209
Club Member

Re: going from 2nd gen to 3rd

Postby Hotrodhendrix » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:42 pm

3rd gen uses an extra exhaust manifold stud but all heads are tapped for it so yes your manifold should work fine. At those power goals either gen are more than capable. Personally I would just rebuild the 2nd gen with some forged pistons, nice head gasket, arp studs and you will still come out cheaper than buying a 3rd gen while ending up with a superior motor.

Megasquirt PNP is currently pinned for 90-91 2nd gen but can easily be swapped to 92-93. Currently the only megasquirt 3rd gen motor option would be to go one of the non PNP style units like Megasquirt III.

~James
"The more you let life's obstacles slow you down the longer it will take to defeat them."
~Yours truly
Hotrodhendrix
GTFour God

Postby phattyduck » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Intake and exhaust manifolds are incompatible between the 3rd gen (ST205) 3s-gte and the earlier 3s-gte's (ST185/ST165). The ports on the head are shaped differently.

You can use a MSPNP if you want, but you would have to repin the harness somewhat.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby alltracman78 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 pm

Yup, 3rd gen manifolds and 2nd gen manifolds don't have the same bolt patterns.
You're confusing that with the turbo outlets.

If there's a PNP for the gen 2 it should work for the gen 3 also, the wiring is very very similar.
Same connectors.

I like the fact the gen 3 has a better IC and a larger throttle body to match it as well as the oil filter on the bottom of the engine, but I also like the fact the gen 2 has a higher compression ratio.
I've gone with a gen 3 personally.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Return to Performance and Power