bogs/falls on it's face when under hard Acc./boost

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: bogs/falls on it's face when under hard Acc./boost

Postby Schneidy95 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:30 pm

I had a bad upper end knock this morning. I pulled the valve cover to look and also the spark plugs. It had 1 regular ngk on far left cyl. And the rest were iridiums.. The car usually knocks a lot when cold(was thinking it was spark knock) but this is a diff. Knock. Could this be an issue?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Schneidy95
Club Member

Postby polm » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:52 pm

If the temp gauge doesnt work then theres a good chance the sensor isnt working correctly. You can get a brand new one off ebay for cheap, I got one 2 weeks ago for less then 20 $ shipped. I'd start there, cold mode does limit a number of things on the car. The fact that the tvsv isnt controlling boost under cold mode could very well interfere with the good functionning of the engine. If the knock is bad itll pull timing and that as well will affect acceleration greatly. Do you have the knock check engine light? If so thats another problem, the car runs in safe mode and its runs terribly. Oh and swap those iridiums for some regular ngk copper bkr6e or bkr7e if you want a step colder which is recommended when runing more boost. Iridium plugs didnt exist in the early 90s, use what your car was designed to use. Plus many people have complained about misfire with iridiums on several different platforms. Coppers are cheap and proven good. My 2 cents.
polm
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Schneidy95 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Thank you i will change plugs and sensor. My stock boost guage is still working even though the tvsv vac. Line is cut and plugged on both ends..is something wrong? I did just how it shows in the tech article.
Schneidy95
Club Member

Postby Schneidy95 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:05 pm

Thank you for the reply. i will change plugs and the sensor.There is no light on in the car. My stock boost guage is still working even though the tvsv is spliced and pluged just how it shows on the tech article shows.
Schneidy95
Club Member

Postby polm » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 pm

It should still "work" though it will only read atmospheric pressure even if youre running 15psi of boost for example. So the needle will always be in the middle/center mark and wont move so it doesnt actually do anything anymore.
polm
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby Schneidy95 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:19 pm

The boost gauge still reads positive pressure.. I don't know were this knock is coming from. I put everything back together and it still knocks really bad. I'm afraid to drive it.
Schneidy95
Club Member

Postby polm » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Schneidy95 wrote:The boost gauge still reads positive pressure.. I don't know were this knock is coming from. I put everything back together and it still knocks really bad. I'm afraid to drive it.

Thats a problem you should address before trying to boost more..
polm
Club Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby phattyduck » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Schneidy95 wrote:The boost gauge still reads positive pressure.. I don't know were this knock is coming from. I put everything back together and it still knocks really bad. I'm afraid to drive it.
Definitely figure out that knock issue... hopefully it is something simple.

As for the boost gauge, that is fed using the signal from the MAP sensor and has nothing to do with the TVSV or anything on that side of the motor.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby Schneidy95 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:30 pm

phattyduck wrote:
Definitely figure out that knock issue... hopefully it is something simple.

As for the boost gauge, that is fed using the signal from the MAP sensor and has nothing to do with the TVSV or anything on that side of the motor.

-Charlie

That makes sense thank you. I had to start another post on the engine knocking. after trouble shooting all day yesterday and last night. and also today. I came up with nothing on why its knocking.
Schneidy95
Club Member

Postby brutekiller787 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:55 pm

if the gauge is maxed the sensor is unplugged. that's what it does
brutekiller787
Club Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power