fuel question with turbo upgrade

erice47

Over the last year I have been rebuilding my engine. At this point my modifications include cylinders board to 87mm, Wescio pistons, ACL race bearings, ARP (head studs, main bolts, and rod bolts), Apexi 1.5mm head gasket, and Head ported and polished with a valve job.
Now that I am getting close to finishing my engine I realized my stock turbo was shot. That being said, I am currently looking into upgrades. I am somewhat on a budget so I was thinking of getting the ct26 upgraded to a larger compressor wheel maybe (50 or 54). But that makes me question the current state of my fuel system and whether or not it could withstand relatively low boost pressures (10-12psi) from one of these turbos.
I have done extensive post searching to see what others have done and I have come to the conclusion that 1) I don't want to use the SAFC 2) I don't have the cash for a standalone unit. I have read that some people plan to use larger injectors say 650 and a larger fuel pump, but I don't see anyone post that they have had success with a system similar to this.
also does the single entry turbo from the supra mk viii fit on the st185 exhaust manifold? I've read you have to rotate the housing, but i just want to confirm this. i have also read that it doesn't fit so any response would help.

If anyone has advice on what i should do with this current set up it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Eric

Theman88b

I may not be an expert on the tuning aspect of the All Trac. I have a ST165 and will let you know I am running 14 psi on a basically stock engine with a twin entry ct20b (ceramic turbo) and have had no problems with fuel. I am running a wideband and under full throttle/boost it stays at 10:1 the whole time. Also make sure you are running copper plugs. I am not sure on the supra turbo, sorry.

built2run

Supra turbo is basically a older version of the "ct20b" and just as a FYI the 3sgte won't respond well to high hp with an 87mm bore unless it's a stock 5sfe block at 87mm already.

Do plan on having a sub 400 hp limit.

erice47

Eventually i would like to be around 350 whp, im not looking to build a track monster i just want a fun daily driver.

built2run

The third gen turbo will make that like once, and on a fully built engine. Better off getting an after market turbo or do a compressor upgrade if you want to see 350 from the ct series reliably.

erice47

thanks built2run. i think i would like to go with a 54 trim or 50 at the smallest. also would it be better to to go with a supra housing or the twin entry system i have on my st185?

built2run

Keep the twin entry it will avoid having to change a bunch of parts, and also has a better wastegate flow and you can port the exhaust housing to increase exhaust flow and it really won't hurt spool. And any compressor will be better usually but if it were me I'd go with the 54 trim I have the 46 currently and it's better by far but I would prefer more lol

celica_gtx

im having problems w mine pulling on boost.

same w the rebuild but shimless bucket hks adj cam gear. w a modded ct26 to a t3/t4 hybrid.
left it stock to break in and w milage picking up i finally did a pull hit and held 10psi in 3rd but
sounded like i was hauling ass but wasnt putting me in my seat it pulled but not the way the eng sounded and should have..

feels like not all the power is getting to the wheels.

suggestions?

i do have a apexi avcr but not working properly that need to be sent in to be fixed. would that help. plus some tuning.?

built2run

Use a mechanical boost controller to confirm. Also check ignition timing and knock response. If you're going lean a little it can cause the ECU to pull timing as if you had low octane fuel.

What size cams do you have and what's the setting on the cam gears you currently are using

celica_gtx

All stock. Hks adj cam is 0º and AVCR is not controlling anything yet. The gas was I had in it was sitting for a month bc I live in phx and its hot w/ out Ac!

But I added octance booster to see of it would help but did little..

I know timing is good but ill check it again. Havent checked codes yet.. its always on bc of a bad VSS.