98+ 5sfe block

zero06

what Is needed to be done to a 98+ 5sfe block to create a 5sgte stroker.
I am under the impression that crank journals need to be ground and the obvious deck, bore and hone(s).
I am also aware of the grinding to the casting in the rear.

but is there anything that I'm missing over that is unnecessary on the 97 and below blocks?
I know all of our accessories will bolt to a pre-97 block.
I don't have a block infront of me to compare as I am weighing out going pre-97 or 98+

sinerasis

You should be able to search Google and find all the info you need...

You need to machine the crank in both cases.

The reason the 98+ block is preferred is it has thicker cylinder walls, is reinforced between the water pump and cylinder, 1mm larger bore... and it's just newer.

built2run

Sigh... Even at a bore size of 88mm the pre 98 5S-FE block in good condition will hold 800 whp, the 98+ block is more forgiving to tuner and user error due to the casting improvements and the whole reason to do a 98+ is to make 850 and above

Sure it's a great selling point for the ones who build them professionally (myself included) because it makes us more money but if you are going for less than 650-700 whp a well built 3S-GTE will do the job just fine.

built2run

Unless you simply want to have a stroker or simply want to have higher displacement or say 300 rpm faster spool then by all means do a stroker. I just want people to know that you don't necessarily NEED a stroker. It is however nice to have and some prefer the feeling to the more rpm happy 2.0 setups

built2run

People understand "3s stroker" as any larger displacement 3S-GTE setup, even when using a 5S-FE block and crank or just the crank in the 3S-GTE block. No need to nit pick

MWP

Smaay":n9iv0few said:
there is no such thing as a 5S stroker.

No, actually there is :shoots:

You can offset-grind the 5S crank big ends to gain even more stroke length.
With a 88mm bore, you can get close to 2400cc.

built2run

Offset grind would be 3mm tops with 3S-GTE rods, total cc would be about 2265 or so. Still making it a 2.3 and still capable of over 1000 whp and still able to rev up to about 8000 rpm for track use and going for broke in a drag race good for 9500 rpm rev limit

Piston speed is going to be pretty high at 9500 but still will hold for a while, at 8000 to 8500 it's still very capable and will be more reliable. But yes most people that do any sort of stroker weather it be the ATS style 2311 cc engine or the 5S-FE crank and 88mm bore "5S-GTE" usually stay at lower hp levels. As I said before usually a stroker is more for 750 and up whp. Sometimes not even then

built2run

But it's your money spend it how you like.

Oh and it's actually 2287cc with the 3mm offset grind and 88mm pistons

The max bore (reliable max) on a 5S-FE is 88mm and you would need a 97mm and higher stroke to be above 2350cc and qualifying as a 2.4 and I doubt a 97mm stroke would allow high rpm let alone simply fit in the block

MWP

The 5S has 54mm bigend journals, the 3S is 50mm.
Assuming the 5S crank is perfect, you could get very close to a 4mm offset grind which gives 8mm of extra stroke.

8mm of extra stroke (90.9+8=98.9mm stroke) at 88mm bore gives you 2406cc :wink:

The rod/stroke ratio is rather nasty, but there racing 5S's around running this long.

aus jd 2703

I would be very curious if running wet sleeves in a 5sfe block and crank would reliably get more capacity.
what I mean by reliably is the ability to support 600awhp and 8500-9000rpm in a circuit racing environment.
big $$$ but might be a way to get 2.4l with an acceptable rod length and ratio

built2run

600 awhp can be done with a 3S-GTE and stronger fasteners no sleeves no special crank no special anything just a clean unbored 3S-GTE block and good 3S-GTE crank