Turbine hub burst pics.

Darth Boost

To make a long story short, I over sped my turbo a few weeks ago, and finally installed the new turbo today. Here's some pics of what happens to a turbo when the hub bursts.

Looking up the downpipe- say, what's that thing sticking out there like a turtle head?
DSCN0823.jpg

Let's take a closer look, shall we? Great scott, that isn't what I think it is!?!?
DSCN0824.jpg

After removing the downpipe elbow... Holy mother of fuck, it's the turbine wheel! No wonder it wouldn't build any boost!
DSCN0825.jpg

Where the turbine wheel came from...
DSCN0827.jpg

Some crappy pics of the wheel on my tool box...
DSCN0828.jpg

DSCN0829.jpg

Since I had to remove the subframe and downpipe, I just removed the whole exhaust, since it's only held on with two hangers and the three bolts that hold it to the DP. Yes, what you see is my entire exhaust.
DSCN0830.jpg

Gary

Ji,
How did you overspeed it? How much boost were you pushing?
That turbine wheel's going to turbo's wall of shame. :p :D

InitialD93

my friend has a RB24DET in a 240SX... with full 3" exhaust... same thing happened to him.. but his turbine wheel passed all the way through the exhaust and out the muffler :shock:

Darth Boost

Dustin, no sound clips. I could call you up and let you listen to it, if you wanted. It's LOUD on a totally different scale. I wouldn't recommend it for a daily driver, but you can always try it and add a muffler in later. Did you mean RB25DET?

Gary, I was running 17 PSI, and the nearest I can tell is that my MBC froze, causing the overboost. I'd guess I was up around 20 PSI, since that's about where the ceramic turbines fail?