engine swap alternatives?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

engine swap alternatives?

Postby leekycelicy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:43 am

Swapping the gte between models is well known.

What about swapping between makers.
The gte is a great engine but has anyone thought about an mitsubishi evo engine (same layout) imprezza or other 4wd 4cyl turbo?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
leekycelicy
Club Member

Re: engine swap alternatives?

Postby bobtherider123 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:18 am

Ive been extremely curious about v6 swaps like the mr2's do. Instant gobs of torque and almost 300hp with near 30mpg from the 2gr. My fear is that it may not clear the transfercase on the alltrac.
bobtherider123
Club Member

Postby Mafix » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:38 am

LEEKY: why bother with all that work? just go buy an evo or a sti. better platform than these old girls.
bob: you have to use a rav4 transfer case IIRC. and a little block grinding. it's been done.
Mafix
Gold Member

Postby underscore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:59 pm

leekycelicy wrote:Swapping the gte between models is well known.

What about swapping between makers.
The gte is a great engine but has anyone thought about an mitsubishi evo engine (same layout) imprezza or other 4wd 4cyl turbo?

If you want to spend a tonne of money building a car that you could never sell without losing a tonne of money, only to be slightly different (not necessarily better in any way) then sure. Doing something odd to an AWD platform isn't as easy as in a RWD one, you can't just fab a couple motor mounts and get a custom driveshaft made.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God

Postby CSAlltrac » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 pm

Like Underscore said, lose two drive wheels and the world becomes very open when it comes to this topic. That's not to say it isn't possible, just how deep are your pockets. I would say get a RWD car to experiment on, much less expensive(and rare). I love crazy swaps but an Alltrac needs to be 3S powered. I've always liked the idea of a Beams 3SGE on ITBs in an Alltrac, that's about as crazy as I would attempt.
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby Sifu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:00 pm

1uze swapped RWD V8 Celica in Australia has been around for a while.
I remember an ST165 swapped MR layout drag racecar. I believe the owner used an American V8.
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby underscore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:12 pm

I thought it was a hill climb car? Either way, it was a neat car but probably impossible to sell. Was it MR or did they make it MA like an exotic?

Edit: Here it is, it's a Ford 460 V8 with a supercharger, and it's still AWD! viewtopic.php?t=46070
underscore
GTFour God

Postby CSAlltrac » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:24 pm

Since its related I have to post this.
http://youtu.be/FghHghOaypM
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby leekycelicy » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:49 pm

I want my car to look like an st165 with an fq400 from an evo lol
leekycelicy
Club Member

Postby underscore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:10 pm

IMO crazy swaps like that K20 MR2 are pointless when the original engine or a bolt in engine is just as capable. Unless you secretly enjoy doing completely unnecessary fab work and ordering custom parts, in which case go ahead.
underscore
GTFour God

Postby sinerasis » Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:30 pm

leekycelicy wrote:I want my car to look like an st165 with an fq400 from an evo lol

Why? I don't know much about Evo's, but from reading wikipedia for 5 seconds, I see a FQ400 is a 4g63 engine with ~405hp. You can do that with a 3sgte without all the crazy work involved of getting the motor in the car. 400hp is a very obtainable goal with the motor an Alltrac comes with already.

underscore wrote:IMO crazy swaps like that K20 MR2 are pointless when the original engine or a bolt in engine is just as capable. Unless you secretly enjoy doing completely unnecessary fab work and ordering custom parts, in which case go ahead.

I'd have to agree. While it's obviously cool and fast or whatever, there's no reason that car couldn't have been powered by the motor it came with. At those kind of power levels, so much is custom anyway it doesn't really matter what you start with (within reason).
Jeff
1989 ST165 Black
sinerasis
Club Member

1989 Toyota Celica

Postby WideFNopen » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:10 pm

The cool Toyota to swap is the Starlet not a GT Four.
https://www.facebook.com/peakcityrally

http://cdn.makeagif.com/media/1-12-2015/ZMp5Gn.gif
WideFNopen
Club Member

Postby Sifu » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:58 pm

WideFNopen wrote:The cool Toyota to swap is the Starlet not a GT Four.

Paseo!!!
1990 Celica ST185 "The Money Pit"
BROKEN! BUT NOT BEATEN!
2005 Scion tC FW21
1985 AW11
1987 AW11
Sifu
GTFour God

Postby CSAlltrac » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 am

underscore wrote:IMO crazy swaps like that K20 MR2 are pointless when the original engine or a bolt in engine is just as capable. Unless you secretly enjoy doing completely unnecessary fab work and ordering custom parts, in which case go ahead.

I agree with you that the 3S is just as capable. What it does not have is 1/3 the aftermarket support of a K series Honda engine. That with the cost difference of what it takes to make a high HP K series vs a high HP 3S. Ill take the "completely unnecessary fab work" route, the difference is that big. To each their own, diversity in the car world is why it's so good.
ALLTRAC AT FIRST SIGHT
CSAlltrac
Established Member

Postby ALLensTRAC » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:48 am

CSAlltrac wrote:

I agree with you that the 3S is just as capable. What it does not have is 1/3 the aftermarket support of a K series Honda engine. That with the cost difference of what it takes to make a high HP K series vs a high HP 3S. Ill take the "completely unnecessary fab work" route, the difference is that big. To each their own, diversity in the car world is why it's so good.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who agrees with diversity. I have always been a Toyota purist but some of the best cars have been built walking the road seldom traveled. Honestly that's why I own an Alltrac in the first place. It's not an MR2, AE86, Supra, or a Starlet. There isn't a large aftermarket for the car and that makes it challenging( and frustrating lol).

As to that MR2, a shop had the engine in a Honda and decided to do a RWD platform. That video was taken here when FL2K was going on at BMP. It's so nice to see a 20 year old Toyota hand a modded GTR its ass!!

But why not go even crazier??
How about a 2jz longitudinally mounted with a custom oil pan setup to use an R34 Getrag and front diff setup. That way you keep AWD and a Toyota engine using solid drivetrain components with plenty of support. The fab work is the fun part!!!

Or how about a twin 3sgte setup using an MR2 layout for the hatch mounted power plant. It would require a hell of a Computer to sync the engines and an interesting shifting linkage but how cool would that be?!?

There is a reason so few Mr2's and GT4's make gobs of power or show up in popular YouTube videos beating on Lambos or GTRs. It's this mindset that it can't be done or that our platforms can't be changed without angering the 3s gods!
Allen

1992 Toyota Celica Alltrac "Never ending Project"
2014 Lexus CT200h Redline/Black "Daily project"
2006 Toyota Highlander Wifes daily
ALLensTRAC
Club Member

Next

Return to Performance and Power