question about fuel

gpmarzan

though i have a 2nd gen jdm engine in my st165, im still using the st165 harness and ecu. my question is, does premium (93 or higher octane) gas really required for this setup? i know a stock st165 can take plus 91 octane fuel, and i also know that the compression of this jdm engine is a lil higher. i know its good to use higher grade fuel for detonation purpose, but is it safe to use regular unleaded fuel with this setup?

AWDios

I would never use anything but premium in a turbo car.

If it calls for it in the owners manual there's a good reason for it.

gpmarzan

AWDios":1p06t17e said:
I would never use anything but premium in a turbo car.

If it calls for it in the owners manual there's a good reason for it.
my owners manual says to use 91 or higher. can i go down to 91 instead of using 93-94 like people say to use for jdm swap? in my case, with the st165 ecu?

toyotaluver

is it really worth to test it, by saving a few pennies here and there? i know some might be strapped for cash but whats 5$ more in the long run? if even that more every fill up

gpmarzan

toyotaluver":qg9t3e7k said:
is it really worth to test it, by saving a few pennies here and there? i know some might be strapped for cash but whats 5$ more in the long run? if even that more every fill up
i know, i know..but hey, im a poor commuter college student. i complain about stupid lil things. :evil:

toyotaluver

hey man im in college too, i hear ya, what i do is i save my change and that stuff really adds up and you can make up for all the lost money in the car, well maybe not all of the lost money, as i have just dropp 4300 on my car recently, and its still not running after a month of work at the shop

sardgt4

91 should be ok. Ive been using 91 for the last 6 years or so since 99+% of the gas stations in california went from 92/93 to 91 6 years ago or so. I dont have much of a choice though. If it isnt much more Id get 92 or 93 if possible. I tried using 87 a few years back to just test it and i blew my knock sensor running it hard. I say if you are going to use lower octane gas retard the timing a bit or dont boost high.

John 92 st185