Turbo Upgrade for 400-450 whp.

EvanP246

Hi everyone. I'm trying to figure out what turbo to replace my GT2871R with.

My engine has forged pistons and rods and I have a ported head with HKS 264s, valvesprings and cam gears.
The exhaust mani and intake mani are also port matched with deleted TVIS.
For fuel I'm running 660cc injectors and a dual entry rail on a bosch intank pump.

Compression is around 9.5:1 and the displacement is 2020cc's. I'm running an Autronic SMC for engine management and have a large FMIC to keep everything cool.

I have been told that I should be making about 340whp in the mid 20psi range. Unfortunately we don't have an AWD dyno in Barbados.

I live in Florida now and will be importing the car here next year under the 25 year exemption. I'd like to upgrade to a GT3076 or similar to make roughly 400-450whp on 93 octane. Is this a good choice? What kind of spool should I expect?

Thanks in advance.

EvanP246

Haha, no thanks. So far these are my choices: GT3076, GTX3076, GT3582R, PTE5858 DBB, PTE6262 DBB

I have heard that Garrett's have better reliability/ longevity than the Precisions. Is this true?

Can anyone comment on the spool of a 3582R on a 2L vs a 3076R?

sentraman

My experience with Precision has been great so far. The DBB is the way to go, since you noted about longevity. A 5858 Dbb is the turbo I would go with. If you end up going precision let me know as I can get you great deals on them

klue

the gtx3076 will make your 400whp goal, but your going to need bigger injectors at that level. That power on a two litre with a 35 .63 A/R a car I tuned was getting full boost in the 52-5500 range. Mind you it had a gen 3 cam so you might shift your VE over the left a bit.

I just ordered a gtx3076 to do a build in the same power range. Tial vband housing SS looks tits :) Injector dynamics for fuel supply. Let me know if you need a good price and I can hook it up

cheers
Luke

EvanP246

Thanks! I was thinking of using Sard 800cc injectors. Will I see any benefit using the GTX on pump gas boost levels though?

I should mention that I will be using water injection for safety. I'm a a little afraid of tuning for the water/meth as I've had friends destroy their engines when the system failed.

klue

EvanP246":1tqz8xr3 said:
Thanks! I was thinking of using Sard 800cc injectors. Will I see any benefit using the GTX on pump gas boost levels though?

I should mention that I will be using water injection for safety. I'm a a little afraid of tuning for the water/meth as I've had friends destroy their engines when the system failed.

Personally, I would go top feed tyle injector. The stock rail is terrible for flow, you want a solid supply to your injectors at that level and lots of head room so go a bit bigger.

at 450 awhp I was maxing 950cc ijectors. I would not suggest going past 75-80% duty cycle on an injector to prevent injector failure

About the water injector. Some tuners will tune mbt with your injection system, NOT ME. Your asking to blow your motor. Water injection is not a adequate form of intercooling so I would strongly suggest having the engine tuned without and assistance from water injection or methanol and then adding it in after the map is built. Tuning for water alone is not going to change your AFR, methanol will and you can correct for it but then again if it fails....

EvanP246

klue":bqji9f2s said:
EvanP246":bqji9f2s said:

Personally, I would go top feed tyle injector. The stock rail is terrible for flow, you want a solid supply to your injectors at that level and lots of head room so go a bit bigger.

at 450 awhp I was maxing 950cc ijectors. I would not suggest going past 75-80% duty cycle on an injector to prevent injector failure

About the water injector. Some tuners will tune mbt with your injection system, NOT ME. Your asking to blow your motor. Water injection is not a adequate form of intercooling so I would strongly suggest having the engine tuned without and assistance from water injection or methanol and then adding it in after the map is built. Tuning for water alone is not going to change your AFR, methanol will and you can correct for it but then again if it fails....

Thanks for the great advice. Here's what I'm thinking now: GT3082R, top feed rail and 1000cc injectors and a walbro 400 pump.

From what I've read I should get near 35r power with better spool. The 3082 should make the power a little easier than the 3076 while being cheaper than the GTX.

klue

spring for the gtx, the improvment in topend is worth it!

xiiimotorsports is a dealer for Garrett, injector dynamics and walbro all the top quality parts you need let me know if you need some help getting your items
Luke

Hic

Garrett is shitty turbo, 20+ years old exh wheel design. If u want to upgrade then u don't buy 20+yo stuff. You buy NEW design and technology.
I would suggest EFR7163 in vband ex housing adaptor. Spools like crazy and maintain 400whp easily on 1.3bar of boost.