V6 in Camry All-Trac

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Re: V6 in Camry All-Trac

Postby de_engineered » Tue May 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Ok kids... Just got off the phone with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, and have a phone appointment in "2 to 3 business days" to hear back from a state ref about the legality of this swap.

For reference, the official terminology here in California at least is a "change," that is an "engine change" not an "engine swap" (de facto, if not necescarily de jure the same thing though).

From what I gather, if I can transplant the gears from a 3VZ-FE manual Camry (or Lexus ES300, or maybe not - not sure offhand if they offered those in manual) into the Trac, apart from keeping the car driveable, it will in theory be a 'clean' change. For the purposes of changes, CA consideres the transmission as part of the motor.

See details about a similar 2.0 to 3.0L swap here, where I got the inkling the gear swap was even possible.

I'm not sure if I'd need to document the gear changes (nor how that could be accomplished), or if it would be effectively proved by way of the car matching the emmissions of a 92-93 5-speed V6 Camry. If it passes BAR, thereafter for smog purposes it will effectively be a 92-93 5-speed V6 Camry.

And mind you, I'd just go ahead with this harebrained scheme if not for the smog tech being able to see clearly that the stock vehicle, with that drivetrain at least, was only a 4 banger. Yes they had the 2VZ-FE in that gen, but never a an All-Trac. There's a somewhat misleading passage on the Camry WIkipedia article about that that seems to sugguest there was such a car, but so far as I know and have seen, Camry All-Tracs only ever came with 3S-FEs.

Wikipedia wrote:The four-wheel-drive system dubbed All-Trac was introduced for 1988 and a 2.5-liter V6 engine was added as an option.

Fingers crossed, and hopes high...
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
de_engineered
Club Member

Postby de_engineered » Tue May 26, 2015 9:03 pm

More reference reading, How To: CA Smog Legal 1MZFE V6 Swap.

Big difference here though, is in a '2, you're just assbackwardsing a FWD motor/transmission front layout engine into a RWD mid.
de_engineered
Club Member

Postby bajallama » Wed May 27, 2015 12:36 pm

All they look for is that all the factory smog equipment is retained from the vehicle you pulled the motor from. Obviously must be from a newer vehicle year and must be from a car (not a truck). They don't care for gearing, so don't sweat it. I would go 1mz/3mz though. They are dime a dozen in the junkyards and have higher output.

I think your biggest worry over anything is how you are gonna get that AWD trans to fit onto the V6 without excessive grinding.
ProjectZ61.com
bajallama
Club Member

Postby fussellbug » Wed May 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Take a look at this thread to see what someone else is doing to make a 3VZ fit with the AWD transfer case. He hasn't assembled it all yet, but it requires a lot of metal removal including the bottom lip of the engine block where the oil pan seals to it.

http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=50460
fussellbug
Club Member

1990 Toyota Celica

Postby de_engineered » Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 pm

More responses later, but the state ref just got back to me, and said among other things, if it retains all stock smog equipment and stock location cats (imagine them holding the same position in 3-D space)... It's doable!

There's a slightly ambiguious 3" of net movement that they will allow, which I think means spacers/adapters etc. I couldn't get much more clarity out of the guy, who was impressed with the prospect (and earnestly wished me good luck!).

Also said they couldn't enforce gearing because it was internal stuff, but I may yet still but the 3L gears in. The stock gearing always felt a little short to me, not a bad thing nececarily, but I don't want my mileage to drop even more. This car would be a fun, unique daily, but a DD nonetheless until I can get my rex fixed too.

Ultimately, it's still the ref's call though.

Hmmmmmmmm...
de_engineered
Club Member

Postby phattyduck » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Or find a good smog guy and stop worrying about the ref. It'll blow perfectly clean out the tail pipe no matter what you do (as long as it has a good cat on it). As long as you don't have an obnoxious exhaust, a cop will NEVER have you pop the hood in an old Camry. Trust me.

-Charlie
'89 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GTE - SV25/ST205 hybrid
'99 4Runner SR5 4WD 5VZ-FE
Previous: '88 Camry LE Alltrac 3S-GE BEAMS, '90 Camry 3S-GTE, '90 Camry DX
phattyduck
Established Member

Postby de_engineered » Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:02 pm

phattyduck wrote:Or find a good smog guy and stop worrying about the ref. It'll blow perfectly clean out the tail pipe no matter what you do (as long as it has a good cat on it). As long as you don't have an obnoxious exhaust, a cop will NEVER have you pop the hood in an old Camry. Trust me.

-Charlie

I've been thinking that lol. My brother has an '85 MR2 reg'd in a county where there is no smog, friend of a friend lives there kinda deal, might get in on that too, or a hook as said.

I've read the newer V6s blow cleaner without cats than the old 4 bangers ever did with. Still keeping the cat for teh earf, and indeed noise abatement.

This is all pending better better employment eventually, so this will remain armchair for a while til then. Gonna measure twice and twice again til I start cutting (or at least starting to gremlin out the old lump in the meantime!).

Now I have to see if it's cheaper to hack an MR2 V6 header, or go from the ground up. I'd like provision to go twin turbos possibly (dreaming big!), say using T3 flanges to mate manifolds to Y-pipe, maybe that can be worked into an existing design.

Thanks for the feedback!
de_engineered
Club Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power