Anyone RECENTLY Buy A Complete Ebay Exhaust?

alltracman78

I needed one for a quick cheap fix, so I ordered this one. $290 shipped is too cheap to pass up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190627860043

It doesn't quite fit. It's very close. It's rammed up against the front crossmember on the rear subframe, rammed up against the transfer case [both those I made work] but it's also rammed into the front crossmember to the extent I can't install the crossmember [more than what a hammer will quickly fix].
Yes I know it's cheap ebay. I understand all that. I'm debating whether to keep it and try to reweld it or if it's worth it to try to return it for one that MIGHT fit, it's going to be a while before I'll be able to get around to reworking this.

I was wondering if anyone has received one that they were able to make work on the car? If so from what seller? I'm wondering if these are all comeing from the same factory/jig or if different people are making them. They look the same in the pictures [if you do an ebay search for ST185 exhaust].

alltracman78

That looks exactly the same as the one I got.
Which doesn't mean it is. A few small tweaks and the one I have will fit just fine.

Only way to really tell is talk to someone that has ordered one.
Or if you can get the seller to confirm in a message, then when you get it and it isn't you should have a good case for returning it.
Which by the way it the reason I pay with a credit card; much less hassle to get your money back.

Anyone else?

CMS-GT4

Drew Monk ordered one. I think he had to have the midpipe bent to fit just right but the cat back was another brand. Crossmember figment with 3" midpipe has always been a problem. People either dent them or add spacers.

alltracman78

Yeah, up til now the problem was just rattling though [at least for me].
I'll have to actually cut a chunk out of the crossmember to fit this unless I cut/weld it.

celi703

I ordered this for my alltrac and it was a pain to install. It fits but is a tight fit. I recommend starting with the back portion. After that it should all fit in place.

alltracman78

So the one you got from the exact same seller fit?
Mine doesn't. It's all in the car but I have to cut the front suspension crossmember to be able to install it.

sammyw

Ohhhh goood lord! This looks exactly like the one I got on Amazon. Biggest issue is that it is bigger than 2.5", more like 3". So many issues getting it to fit. Haven't got it quite right yet but the rattling is only really bad at 3000 rpm.
The thing is, I asked about it on here and a couple people had bought it and they said nothing about the fit. Maybe it was a different seller...
The exhaust has been the bane of my existence the last few months :shoots:

TheNubkins

My advice, don't cut the cross-member to fit an exhaust pipe. Dent the exhaust pipe where it is interfering to gain clearance. It's just a pipe carrying exhaust to the back of your car and is really not that important; and you will see pretty much zero power loss for the tiny dent you may need to put into it, and eventually the exhaust will corrode and need replacing anways. The cross member, should, last the lifetime of the vehicle barring any accidents. Again just my two cents, but remember these cars are rare, and one day parts will become even more scarce than they already are. Anyone can make exhaust to replace what wears out, but special car components are a different story.

alltracman78

I appreciate the advice, but I had no intentions of cutting my crossmember. :p
I was just stating that's the only way it will fit [other than denting the pipe].

I have dented a 3" exhaust previously so I could use the Cusco lower brace. I never dynoed it but the boost did come up noticeably quicker. It required close to what this will. I'd guess it makes the exhaust ~ 2 1/2 inches at that point.

yyonline

alltracman78":ylhhuskc said:
I was just stating that's the only way it will fit [other than denting the pipe].

I don't have that particular exhaust...but my exhaust does have some clearance issues with the front cross member. THe previous owner cut a chunk out of the cross member, and I didn't particularly like that solution. So, I bought a used cross member and shimmed it up with some washers and longer bolts. No more exhaust rattle. The bolts I used were Volkswagen P/N WHT003467 and are 70mm long vs. 54mm for the stock bolts. They're M14x1.5 so it's an odd size and I didn't have much luck finding them in hardware stores in the right length. Plus the VW bolts are hardened steel and plated to resist rust.

alltracman78

Sounds good at idle. That's as far as I've gotten.

yyonline":31npntx7 said:
I don't have that particular exhaust...but my exhaust does have some clearance issues with the front cross member. THe previous owner cut a chunk out of the cross member, and I didn't particularly like that solution. So, I bought a used cross member and shimmed it up with some washers and longer bolts. No more exhaust rattle. The bolts I used were Volkswagen P/N WHT003467 and are 70mm long vs. 54mm for the stock bolts. They're M14x1.5 so it's an odd size and I didn't have much luck finding them in hardware stores in the right length. Plus the VW bolts are hardened steel and plated to resist rust.

That's good info. I thought about lowering [shimming] the member, but the stock bolts are way too short.
Thanks.

black88alltrac

i have an 88 and bought the same one last month, i shimmed the crossmember as much as i could while being able to engage several turns of threads. it also helped to loosen the exhaust clamp section while putting the crossmember on then tightening it. also i paired it with an ebay downpipe. works and sounds good to me with st205 swap.

psipwrd

I had about 2 inches cut from the crossmember lengthwise (left to right) and some metal added to go around the pipe. front to back, 70-80% of the original crossmember is intact, fairly quick fix

I'll update with a pic soon...

it's a Japspeed exhaust from UK, mated to KOracing kit

3SDNA

Likely not the same manufacturer, but I've got a Motoria-branded 3" single outlet(what I've been calling the potato shooter; wasn't this an SSAC special?) on my '165. Frankly, I'm not too happy with it. It drones quite a bit, and while a friend of mine likes it and calls it 'throaty,' it lacks the characteristic 3SGTE 'growl' that I remember from the stock exhaust. I do have an Aussie 3" DP on the car, so it's pretty much straight from the turbo back. The shop I'm having my '165 worked on by did mention the exhaust was giving them fits(I'm getting the belts, water pump, and oil pump done for good measure).

Tell everyone the truth, I'd love to back down to a good 2.5", twin outlet system with a high-flow cat. That should tone things down a bit and get some of that growl back. Is that 2.5" system listed earlier in the thread any good?