Mech Boost gauge install

Rallly

Hey, okay so the pictures in the "HOW TO" boost gauge install section are not working for me. I'm unsure of which oem vac hose I need to tee into to install my mechanical boost gauge. Also can I use a silicone or rubber hose instead of the nylon one? I bought my gauge used and there is no nylon hose.

Thanks!

CMS-GT4

I'll have an answer about the nylon hose by Monday. I ordered a barb to use silicone instead.

Rallly

Sounds good:)

quote="CMS-GT4"]I'll have an answer about the nylon hose by Monday. I ordered a barb to use silicone instead.[/quote]

slakeco

I'm no authority on anything mechanical, but I had the hood open already and wanted to try to help.

m2znvvV.jpg

giGnyBq.jpg

I hope this helps. If someone can confirm, that'd be helpful.

underscore

I'm just using whatever standard vacuum line is made of for mine, just remove a cap from one of the extra ports on the back of the intake manifold and hook up to that.

Rallly

Thanks man, I don't think my stock Alltrac has a BOV though?

slakeco":35hiv2q2 said:
I'm no authority on anything mechanical, but I had the hood open already and wanted to try to help.

m2znvvV.jpg

giGnyBq.jpg

I hope this helps. If someone can confirm, that'd be helpful.

CMS-GT4

underscore":19knldhz said:
I'm just using whatever standard vacuum line is made of for mine, just remove a cap from one of the extra ports on the back of the intake manifold and hook up to that.

This is the most common hook up point. I am using an unused port on the manifold, but I may be changing it after some upcoming testing. I got data from an electronic sensor and found my boost gauge is not correct.

underscore

What makes you say that it's incorrect? Ideally you want it to read from the same source as the sensor for fuel cut since that's the biggest worry.

CMS-GT4

underscore":1hhyjwx8 said:
What makes you say that it's incorrect? Ideally you want it to read from the same source as the sensor for fuel cut since that's the biggest worry.

It reads a different vacuum and max boost as my map sensor is detecting. I looked at it, and saw that it is not zeroing when off. It rests on a few psi, which might explain why it reads low on vac and high on boost. Once I zero it, if it does not match up, I will experiment with places to hook up for readings.

On a note of the hook up, they sent the wrong size... so I will have to wait till a new one comes in.

Rallly

Wrong size hose?

CMS-GT4":252m6rls said:
underscore":252m6rls said:

It reads a different vacuum and max boost as my map sensor is detecting. I looked at it, and saw that it is not zeroing when off. It rests on a few psi, which might explain why it reads low on vac and high on boost. Once I zero it, if it does not match up, I will experiment with places to hook up for readings.

On a note of the hook up, they sent the wrong size... so I will have to wait till a new one comes in.

Rallly

Where else can I tee into my stock st185 celica? I had a look between the firewall and intake and only noticed 1 rubber hose coming off the intake but it's a bigger diameter hose then I am using on my boost gauge. I would like to tee into an accurate source that uses a 4mm hose. Any ideas?

underscore

I have (had?) mine tapped in near the tb, but I can't remember where exactly and right now everything is torn apart.

CMS-GT4

I have a barb that fits the autometer gauge... But I took it out to calibrate it and the needle fell off. So I need to see if I can find my old boost gauge or get a new one. Likely won't buy autometer products again.

EvilStig

sorry for thread necromancy, but does anyone have a picture of where the attachment point is on the back of the manifold?

EvilStig

Is this the port you're talking about? incredibly hard to reach...

Jo93JaQ.png

I noticed the ST205 intercooler core has a vacuum hose port on the back of it. Would this be a suitable alternative location to connect a boost gauge and EBC sensor? or would it be problematic in that it wouldn't be measuring the pressure wave right at the manifold?