3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby awdmofo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:49 pm

Doing a rebuild of my 90 alltrac, need advice as I don't want some very aggressive cams that need tuning (just yet) so I was wondering if I can use 3rd gen 3sgte cams on my 2nd gen stock head without any modifications? If yes, what would I need to tell the machine shop? And, what gains if any would I be looking at with a rebuilt 2nd gen engine, ct20b turbo, intake, DP, 3" no cat exhaust and a little boost? Thanks :D :D :notworthy: :notworthy:
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by awdmofo on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby 819_ay » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:22 pm

If. I'm not mistaken the intake cam is the one you want, the exhaust cam is the same, anybody feel free correct me if I'm wrong, and for gains I can't help you there, you would get a noticeable gain I'm sure , I'd get some 3rd Gen 550cc Injectors to go with it
... Hope that helps a bit...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
819_ay
Club Member
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby underscore » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:04 pm

Do a search on here for the camshaft life line, it should have the info you need.
★ 1991 GTFour RC ~ "Rebel Scum" ★
It's for sale! http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=52181
Build thread http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44216
underscore
GTFour God
 
Posts: 3792
Images: 0
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby audiodjmp77 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:40 pm

I looked into this and the head needs a shim under bucket conversion, even managed to get some stock 205 cams to use.

The only problem using 540cc injectors, the standard ecu will run really rich. If you put the larger injectors in a piggyback ecu is needed.

Sent from my phone. Sorry for any mistakes
audiodjmp77
Club Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:02 pm

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby MrDB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:07 am

Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.
Image
Car Build : [ http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=26755 ]
MrDB
Club Member
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:22 am

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby awdmofo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:23 pm

underscore wrote:Do a search on here for the camshaft life line, it should have the info you need.


Underscore good advice as always. I read it before but was still unsure if I needed to change anything else for the intake cam to work, as I don't see a definitive answer about a 2gen 3s-gte running 3gen cams. Seems like everyone is talking about 3sge cams which I'm not interested in since I have a set of 3gen 3s-gte cams I can get for cheap at the moment.

MrDB wrote:Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.


Thank you MrDB, so from what the camshaft life line shows only the intake came is worth swapping as the exh shows the same duration. did you run just the intake cam? Also, are you running the stock fuel system? I don't plan on upgrading the fuel system until I build a more powerful engine next year. I have it all apart at the machine shop, just need to know what to tell them to do when then put everything back together. Thanks for your help. :notworthy: :notworthy:
Last edited by awdmofo on Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby audiodjmp77 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:58 pm

MrDB wrote:Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.

Pardon my thickness, but how do you re-shim the valves ? If it is something simple, I may look into this

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
audiodjmp77
Club Member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:02 pm

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby 819_ay » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 pm

audiodjmp77 wrote:
MrDB wrote:Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.

Pardon my thickness, but how do you re-shim the valves ? If it is something simple, I may look into this

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

You mesure the gap between the lifter and Cam lob using a feeler gauge, then buy the right shim thickness to bring back to spec... Check the bgb for gap limits and a better how to... Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
819_ay
Club Member
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby awdmofo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:19 pm

819_ay wrote:
audiodjmp77 wrote:
MrDB wrote:Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.

Pardon my thickness, but how do you re-shim the valves ? If it is something simple, I may look into this

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

You mesure the gap between the lifter and Cam lob using a feeler gauge, then buy the right shim thickness to bring back to spec... Check the bgb for gap limits and a better how to... Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk


Thanks for the info! I have an actual BGB :D its falling apart. I assume they went with a higher lift on the intake cam for the 205 engine to support the extra air being pushed in by the ct20b?? I think that cam would work good with my setup :D
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby 819_ay » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:09 pm

Anytime... A bgb that's falling apart is better than no bgb haha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
819_ay
Club Member
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:32 pm

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby MrDB » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:44 am

awdmofo wrote:
underscore wrote:Do a search on here for the camshaft life line, it should have the info you need.


Underscore good advice as always. I read it before but was still unsure if I needed to change anything else for the intake cam to work, as I don't see a definitive answer about a 2gen 3s-gte running 3gen cams. Seems like everyone is talking about 3sge cams which I'm not interested in since I have a set of 3gen 3s-gte cams I can get for cheap at the moment.

MrDB wrote:Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.


Thank you MrDB, so from what the camshaft life line shows only the intake came is worth swapping as the exh shows the same duration. did you run just the intake cam? Also, are you running the stock fuel system? I don't plan on upgrading the fuel system until I build a more powerful engine next year. I have it all apart at the machine shop, just need to know what to tell them to do when then put everything back together. Thanks for your help. :notworthy: :notworthy:


Yes i ran with stock fuel, keep boost to around 1bar ( 14.5psi) to be safer. The AFM system responds better to changes in VE to a certain level better than a MAP based sytem used in gen3 ( st205 ) rev3 MR2 etc...
Image
Car Build : [ http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=26755 ]
MrDB
Club Member
 
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:22 am

Re: 3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

Postby awdmofo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:07 pm

819_ay wrote:Anytime... A bgb that's falling apart is better than no bgb haha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk


Very true!!

MrDB wrote:
awdmofo wrote:
underscore wrote:Do a search on here for the camshaft life line, it should have the info you need.


MrDB wrote:Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.


Thank you MrDB, so from what the camshaft life line shows only the intake came is worth swapping as the exh shows the same duration. did you run just the intake cam? Also, are you running the stock fuel system? I don't plan on upgrading the fuel system until I build a more powerful engine next year. I have it all apart at the machine shop, just need to know what to tell them to do when then put everything back together. Thanks for your help. :notworthy: :notworthy:


Yes i ran with stock fuel, keep boost to around 1bar ( 14.5psi) to be safer. The AFM system responds better to changes in VE to a certain level better than a MAP based sytem used in gen3 ( st205 ) rev3 MR2 etc...


Thanks MrDB :D If I went this route I'd run about 14-15psi anyways, don't have a FCD yet, and maybe wont look at an adjustable FPR until I build my next engine.
1990 All-trac current money pit (being rebuilt) :roll:
2013 Camaro LS 6-sp (daily)

2005 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2001 Spider (sold)
1990 alltrac (sold)
1991 MR2 turbo x2 (Sold)
User avatar
awdmofo
Club Member
 
Posts: 123
Images: 7
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 3:06 am


Return to Performance and Power

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest