3rd gen 3s-gte cams on a 2nd gen head?

awdmofo

Doing a rebuild of my 90 alltrac, need advice as I don't want some very aggressive cams that need tuning (just yet) so I was wondering if I can use 3rd gen 3sgte cams on my 2nd gen stock head without any modifications? If yes, what would I need to tell the machine shop? And, what gains if any would I be looking at with a rebuilt 2nd gen engine, ct20b turbo, intake, DP, 3" no cat exhaust and a little boost? Thanks :D :D :notworthy: :notworthy:

819_ay

If. I'm not mistaken the intake cam is the one you want, the exhaust cam is the same, anybody feel free correct me if I'm wrong, and for gains I can't help you there, you would get a noticeable gain I'm sure , I'd get some 3rd Gen 550cc Injectors to go with it
... Hope that helps a bit...

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

audiodjmp77

I looked into this and the head needs a shim under bucket conversion, even managed to get some stock 205 cams to use. [emoji17]

The only problem using 540cc injectors, the standard ecu will run really rich. If you put the larger injectors in a piggyback ecu is needed.

Sent from my phone. Sorry for any mistakes

MrDB

Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

I run this in mine, noticable gains.

awdmofo

underscore":3b9wjhcn said:
Do a search on here for the camshaft life line, it should have the info you need.

Underscore good advice as always. I read it before but was still unsure if I needed to change anything else for the intake cam to work, as I don't see a definitive answer about a 2gen 3s-gte running 3gen cams. Seems like everyone is talking about 3sge cams which I'm not interested in since I have a set of 3gen 3s-gte cams I can get for cheap at the moment.

MrDB":3b9wjhcn said:
Its a bolt in upgrade, Just need to re shim the valves. ( No need for shim under bucket )

Thank you MrDB, so from what the camshaft life line shows only the intake came is worth swapping as the exh shows the same duration. did you run just the intake cam? Also, are you running the stock fuel system? I don't plan on upgrading the fuel system until I build a more powerful engine next year. I have it all apart at the machine shop, just need to know what to tell them to do when then put everything back together. Thanks for your help. :notworthy: :notworthy:

audiodjmp77

MrDB":2j3jeu8g said:

Pardon my thickness, but how do you re-shim the valves ? If it is something simple, I may look into this

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

819_ay

audiodjmp77":1cy7hzf6 said:
MrDB":1cy7hzf6 said:

Pardon my thickness, but how do you re-shim the valves ? If it is something simple, I may look into this

You mesure the gap between the lifter and Cam lob using a feeler gauge, then buy the right shim thickness to bring back to spec... Check the bgb for gap limits and a better how to... Good luck

awdmofo

819_ay":307y3c94 said:
audiodjmp77":307y3c94 said:
MrDB":307y3c94 said:

You mesure the gap between the lifter and Cam lob using a feeler gauge, then buy the right shim thickness to bring back to spec... Check the bgb for gap limits and a better how to... Good luck

Thanks for the info! I have an actual BGB :D its falling apart. I assume they went with a higher lift on the intake cam for the 205 engine to support the extra air being pushed in by the ct20b?? I think that cam would work good with my setup :D

MrDB

awdmofo":fhh2ir23 said:
underscore":fhh2ir23 said:
Do a search on here for the camshaft life line, it should have the info you need.

Underscore good advice as always. I read it before but was still unsure if I needed to change anything else for the intake cam to work, as I don't see a definitive answer about a 2gen 3s-gte running 3gen cams. Seems like everyone is talking about 3sge cams which I'm not interested in since I have a set of 3gen 3s-gte cams I can get for cheap at the moment.

MrDB":fhh2ir23 said:

Thank you MrDB, so from what the camshaft life line shows only the intake came is worth swapping as the exh shows the same duration. did you run just the intake cam? Also, are you running the stock fuel system? I don't plan on upgrading the fuel system until I build a more powerful engine next year. I have it all apart at the machine shop, just need to know what to tell them to do when then put everything back together. Thanks for your help. :notworthy: :notworthy:

Yes i ran with stock fuel, keep boost to around 1bar ( 14.5psi) to be safer. The AFM system responds better to changes in VE to a certain level better than a MAP based sytem used in gen3 ( st205 ) rev3 MR2 etc...

awdmofo

819_ay":6c3zy6g4 said:
Anytime... A bgb that's falling apart is better than no bgb haha

Very true!!

MrDB":6c3zy6g4 said:
awdmofo":6c3zy6g4 said:
underscore":6c3zy6g4 said:

MrDB":6c3zy6g4 said:

Yes i ran with stock fuel, keep boost to around 1bar ( 14.5psi) to be safer. The AFM system responds better to changes in VE to a certain level better than a MAP based sytem used in gen3 ( st205 ) rev3 MR2 etc...

Thanks MrDB :D If I went this route I'd run about 14-15psi anyways, don't have a FCD yet, and maybe wont look at an adjustable FPR until I build my next engine.