gen 7 with 3sgte?

Well I read some people speaking of doing this but never saw any evidence. So I thought I'd stir up some conversation.

What I currently have is a 5sgte fully built with a precision 6062 and 2000cc injectors/flex fuel and still in the finishing stages. The engine is currently in my 88 alltrac. I attempted to dyno saturday in FWD mode and something in the drive train gave out at just over 500 hp. All I know if she doesn't make no noises like grinding or anything but flat ground it will verily pull it's self and any touch of the gas and nothing happens. But it will drive forward and reverse. I just haven't had a chance to tear it apart.

Now to where I am at. My body is really in bad shape. I've welded on the tank and sealed it. I've cut and rebuilt have the drivers side. The passenger side is still gone and in horrible shape. The wiring has been cut and spliced a dozen times and well she just needs a SHIT ton of work to restore. But I've been looking for a new shell when I came across a 7th gen with a bad engine.

The inside is super clean and the body is rust free and straight. Paint looks great on the car and I picked it up for 500 bucks.

Electronically/wiring don't worry I got this. This won't be my first engine swap or custom wiring.
Mounts and exhaust won't be a issue either I have practically a machine shop at work that I use regularly.

Anyone from experience or hear say know anything I should consider? I do plan on moving the AWD system over so if I have to cut my tunnel out and weld it in the new car so be it.

Well let the talk and arguments start lol. Any questions for me please feel free to ask or advice please do share.

Thanks guys,
Jeremy

underscore

All that I know is that dozens of people have thought about doing this over the years, and the only successful one I've heard of was done by a shop hired by some rich kid ages back. They made it AWD and all that, but I don't think it worked terribly well.

GT4times2

You already asked that question in the Project section. I replied and moved it in the Club Chat section. The Project section is for people that are sharing their work with others. Not to ask questions about future projects. Once you have yours going, please share with us. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=52130

Now, about your questions concerning dropping in a 7th Gen...Not impossible. But why don't consider doing 3 things that might help?

1. Restore your car. I'm sure it's not an impossible feat. The money you're going to spend converting to AWD will be less than what it would cost to have your ST165 restored. That's what I'd bank on. I'm sure spending a decent amount of money with a good body shop will work wonders. I've seen beat up cars beyond repair with rust/beat up panels turn out pristine. Give it a try.

2. Or go with a clean 6th Gen FWD swap. Easier than 7th Gen.

3. Source a decent ST165 and drop that engine you have in there. It would be nice to see more ST165s restored/cleaned and running.

Not trying to discourage you. Just simpler, smarter alternatives. Best of luck.

FC Zach

GT4times2":175olt14 said:

Not trying to discourage you. Just simpler, smarter alternatives. Best of luck.

My thoughts exactly, completely agree with you there. Especially the 6th gen idea, it's a direct bolt in swap in a GT and one can be had for very little.

1. Restore your car. I'm sure it's not an impossible feat. The money you're going to spend converting to AWD will be less than what it would cost to have your ST165 restored. That's what I'd bank on. I'm sure spending a decent amount of money with a good body shop will work wonders. I've seen beat up cars beyond repair with rust/beat up panels turn out pristine. Give it a try.

I have talked to a few shops and everyone quoted me 10k to just fix all the rust damage and this doesn't include new paint.

As far as all the work I'm going to be doing all the work myself. I won't have a shop cost at all. I will only have new parts cost.

I looked at a few 6th gen cars. But most of them I looked at had either had a bad life or they wanted more money than I was willing to spend. Besides I like the looks and feel of a 7th gen over the 6th gen.

3. Source a decent ST165 and drop that engine you have in there. It would be nice to see more ST165s restored/cleaned and running.

I've been on the hunt for a clean shell. I just haven't came across one.

I've seen a few people who have posted and not completely the swap on the forums or maybe not at all. I can assure you I will build it and complete it in my small garage and will provide pics and dyno numbers when I get done.

Hopefully I will push my 6062 to the max and beat Fensport's Celica. My turbo should max me out in the same neighborhood. But I've also read many of times that the percision turbo is under rated. So fingers crossed.

underscore

The other factor is time. Since you're DIYing, how much time are you able to put into it? Looking at the guys working on Project Binky, they've been at it for nearly 4 years and they still aren't done.

GT4times2

Well update us with your progress. I'd like to see you do it, if it's worth it to you.

1. A 3SGTE powered Gen7 Celica is a nice thing. Not common. And if it's clean (not tacky with these ugly body kits), more power to you.

But...Nothing is sweeter than seeing a clean, restored ST165 making power. Absolutely NOTHING!!

Anyways, Update us.

There are a few ST165s for sale online. Try to source one that you can put maybe $2k-3$k in body and paint, clean interior and swap your engine in it. I'm sure if you get one, and drop your engine in it, you may end up being happier.

underscore

GT4times2":21hfhcjw said:
There are a few ST165s for sale online. Try to source one that you can put maybe $2k-3$k in body and paint, clean interior and swap your engine in it. I'm sure if you get one, and drop your engine in it, you may end up being happier.

If nothing else you could drive around in that while converting the 7th gen, using the spare drivetrain parts from the new shell for mockup.

Snake19888

I thnk that Fensport Uk Build a 4wd 3sgte gen7 celica a few years ago :)

I am for a 4wd and build 3sgte swap in a gt86, with arround 4 or 500hp, that would be an awesome done.

Snake19888

I?
I never done something like that. I only wish someone would do that because it will be an awesome thing :)
I know how hard it is to build a thing like that. You nearly build a complete new car only with the look from the old one.. thats alot work and can only be done if you habe much much time, money and knowledge :)

I have done a rx8 converted to a lsx and a dodge Dakota also ls engine. Both had full working electronic. Wiring the gm n a dodge was harder because Chevy uses grounds as triggers and dodge uses resisted grounds to the body control module. So I had to a shit ton of ohm testing.

Picked up the diner car last weekend. I'll post a few pics this weekend.