Switch to full style
Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades
Post a reply

Quieter exhaust options?

Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:09 pm

Hey guys,
I had a 3 inch ss mandrel bent exhaust made for my all-trac years ago. HUGE in cab volume difference from stock. I remember the next day I went back to the muffler shop to lower the sound output of it and all they could was install a glasspack (iirc) but it did slightly help.

It has a 3 inch downpipe, it has a catalytic converter installed (slight rattle while idling) and a vibrant 3 inch flow through muffler. I'm running a gen3 st205 engine/ecu at 16-18 psi

Anyone have any advice on what I can do to have a quieter exhaust besides going with a 2.5 exhaust system?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now

Re: Quieter exhaust options?

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 am

Hello sir, have you tried a resonator yet? Those usually kill the droning.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:00 am

3SDNA wrote:Hello sir, have you tried a resonator yet? Those usually kill the droning.

:doh:
I'll look into one

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm

This is what I always use inline as a mid-muffler and it makes a big difference..

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14419

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:04 am

If you have the money I like the bi-model designs dfrom x-force. Bit expensive but you get best of both worlds . Press a button and a 25db reduction then pop in the ear plugs for a straight threw pure performance.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:38 am

Add a resonator, it helped out big time. I had a 2.5” dp back straight thru exhaust to a can muffler and it was loud AF! This was on my 5sfte

With my swap, I’ve gone to 3” dp, 3” exhaust, vibrant ultra quiet resonator, magnaflow performance muffler and it is way quieter. I can actually have a conversation as I drive, drone is gone, and I can drive around town without looking like I’m speeding everywhere. Only gets loud when I get on it , and it’s not even that bad.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:53 am

GT4_DRED wrote:This is what I always use inline as a mid-muffler and it makes a big difference..

https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=14419

Right now it has something that I think is a glasspack before the actual muffler. I think its similar to this but oh really want to try this.
I'd just hate to buy it and it doesn't do much compared to now. Only one way to find out....

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:57 am

pintoBC_3sgte wrote:Add a resonator, it helped out big time. I had a 2.5” dp back straight thru exhaust to a can muffler and it was loud AF! This was on my 5sfte

With my swap, I’ve gone to 3” dp, 3” exhaust, vibrant ultra quiet resonator, magnaflow performance muffler and it is way quieter. I can actually have a conversation as I drive, drone is gone, and I can drive around town without looking like I’m speeding everywhere. Only gets loud when I get on it , and it’s not even that bad.

The vibrant resonator is tempting also and it's the same price as the magnaflow on the above post. I'm just wondering if it'll fit

Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:32 pm

lalojamesliz1 wrote:
pintoBC_3sgte wrote:Add a resonator, it helped out big time. I had a 2.5” dp back straight thru exhaust to a can muffler and it was loud AF! This was on my 5sfte

The vibrant resonator is tempting also and it's the same price as the magnaflow on the above post. I'm just wondering if it'll fit

The resonator will be an easier fit, as what I'm recommending is an actual muffler, to be used as a pre-muffler.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:47 am

GT4_DRED wrote:
lalojamesliz1 wrote:

The resonator will be an easier fit, as what I'm recommending is an actual muffler, to be used as a pre-muffler.

Which one do you think will make my exhaust the quietest in your opinion? I need this done yesterday!
I love driving this car but the exhaust...... I've never heard how loud it actually is from the outside like it driving by unfortunately. But I also don't want anyone else driving it :evil:

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:55 am

I would go with the vibrant ultra quiet resonator , I might be biased though. I’ll post a clip of it in a little

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:13 am

few clips (might have to turn the volume up)

heres a few revs

https://www.youtube.com/embed/An6kJkKuGis

3rd-5th pull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teri4bVMxsw

Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:54 am

Sweet!
Thank you guys
Post a reply