intercooler

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Postby beej » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:39 pm

the question on the AC of the water in a WTA setup is a matter of how much HP it drains, and how much more it will produce. i think ur average AC drags around 10 - 15hp or more of ur power (someone correct me if im wrong and ur CERTAIN or have reference, but im pretty sure). question is, will that colder water produce more than another 15hp by effecting the charge air?

what are teh complications of the system? how much more room is it giong to take up in our already spacious engine bay?

a WTA system is already very efficient, which can be increased by a number of factors:

- the intercooler itself
- the size of the resoviour tank
- the size/efficiency of the heat exchanger/radiator that cools the water
- an appropriately powerful pump

many one run rag coolers use a pipe through a box of dry ice, which is evidence to the case that reduced charge temps can make a large difference, but in said case there is no scavenging

Corky Bell mentioned in maximum boost that his theory was it wouldnt create a great enough advantage to overcome the power drain weith current AC technology, i seem to think he may be rite, considering how well PWR's barrel WTA intercoolers werk

abel ibarra run two on his 6 second rotary

have a look here for urself http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Last edited by beej on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"ITS A VENT GODDAMIT NOT A F#$KING SCOOP!!!!!"
beej
Club Member

Postby built2run » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:34 pm

well i thought of the idea cuz an A/C can get your car very chilled, so i figured instead of having the cold air hit my face- its better to feed it to my engine, i am gonna try it and i'll let all you know...... any help will be very appriciated.
built2run
Established Member

Postby muneo » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:29 pm

Just by the laws of physics your not going to make more power with cold A/C air than with the compressor disconnected. If this was the case racers would be driving with the air conditioner on the whole time. If anything, it could recover some of the power loss caused by the drag of the a/c compressor.
muneo
Established Member

Postby ___Scott___ » Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:02 pm

You guys are overlooking a key detail:

"On demand, the SuperCooler system switches the intercooler flow from its normal circulation and dumps the chilled coolant into the engine’s intercooler..."

The AC isn't necessarily running during the short acceleration run. The reservoir of previously chilled coolant provides the temperature drop for the IC. Net long term power drain from the system is higher, but over a short acceleration run (¼ mile), it's all good until the reservoir warms up. The burden on acceleration is the added weight of the system not the power required to run the AC compressor.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
___Scott___
Established Member

Postby jprine01 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:47 pm

Well, i remember from physics class, you cannot create/destroy energy only move it around. I.E. its imposible to make a alternator so effiecent it could power a (so effiecent) motor that would drive the alternator (Perpetual Motion Machine).. Anyway
So just the logic of driving a compresser to generate so much more power it overpowers the loss from the compresser seems like it wouldnt work. A Turbocharger uses exhaust energy to power it, tons of energy wasted as exhaust&heat you can reuse, so i can understand how that works. But then again, a engine is a little more complex maybe the A/C thing could work, because a supercharger makes power and its driven off a belt...
jprine01
Established Member

Postby jprine01 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:59 pm

lol how about this (hahahaha)
You reroute the exhaust (after turbo) to flow though a specially designed steam engine, that basically runs off the exhaust heat. This steam engine will power a A/C Compresser :D

muahhaaha

It would have little restriction on the engine, just be made out of like copper or something that will transfer the heat efficently.

Would add weight though.. I imagine the whole thing would be like 100lb, plus you would need to carry some water.
jprine01
Established Member

Postby built2run » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:25 am

well i was actually planing on getting a electric motor for the a/c as it is in the car and then fabricating a shell over the i/c heat exchanger, cooling it a lot, then it should cool the charge air to lower than ambient
built2run
Established Member

Re: intercooler

Postby Overtriped » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:30 am

commercial refrigeratation that cools machinery ulitizes a chiller barel (evaporator) which is basicly two coils of titinaim in a PVC sleeve with a inlet and and out let for both the refrigeration piping and in this case would be your coolant. If you know how your evaporator works on your A/C you could maybe get a new expansion valve and turn your air to liquid a/c to liquid to liquid. You going to need a thermostat of some sort as well that reads your coolent temp and acuates the compressor on and off so it does run constantly. Would'ent hurt to get a larger condensing coil as well. This is best case If running a heat pump doesn't rob your ponies. Liquid to liquid is way more efficient than liquid to air.

This is a basic shitty water cooled condenser coil. - rememebe You want two titanium coils with flared brass fittings with PVC sleeve ( look up chiller barel) this image hopefully helps you understand what im talking About.

Change these words on that image" hot gas in" to cold refrigerant in ( right after your expansion valve )
Also "liquid out" changes to vapor out. (Don't want liquid refrigerant slugging your compressor and whipping it out.) make sure to adjust your expansion valve correctly.
90 ST185~205
04 Tundra V6 5spd 2wd
TOYOTA JUNKIE
Overtriped
Club Member

Previous

Return to Performance and Power