Differential

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

ST165 LSD

Postby Kyoto » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:55 am

This topic of diffs has been interesting me for a while. It seems almost all of the Japanese performance turbo/AWDs were released with some kind of LSD so by lacking one you'd have to assume that the 165s have an inherent disadvantage no? I have a couple of questions to ask before i decide whether to do anything with my setup (in the medium term future)...

- Is anyone able to give me an idea of the advantages and disadvantages of putting an LSD in the rear of a 165?

- Apparently the TRD website says you require two side gear shafts. What are these? Presumably two output shafts to the axles but i don't know...

- Being one of the very first GT-Fours my car has the manually locking centre differential. How will this affect the fitment of a rear LSD?

- Is the manually locking open diff in my car able to be swapped for a viscous coupling type?

- I know this one is possible, but is it going to be a major pain in the arse to replace my gearbox with a 205 box?

Thanks for the help as usual guys :)
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
Tim // Melbourne, Australia

1986 ST165. 152,000km on chassis
ST205 WRC engine / IC system / rear LSD with 82,000km
Blitz K1-380V
Apexi Power FC
Aussie 3" dump pipe to 3" catback system
TWM short shifter.
Whiteline front strut brace
Kyoto
Club Member

Postby alltracman78 » Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:16 pm

205 trans should bolt right into your car. Not sure if 165 clutch/tobearing would work tho.
Don't know anything else.
alltracman78
GTFour God

Previous

Return to Performance and Power