Shim the wastegate possible?

Q&A regarding engines, turbos, and intercoolers and power upgrades

Shim the wastegate possible?

Postby -==L=a=N=c=E==- » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:21 am

Well im about to remove this piece of shit in cabin bleed valve and sell it off. Im wondering is it possible to shim the wastegate to achieve more boost?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
User avatar
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Club Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Rosewood, Queensland, Australia

Postby saved_1992 » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:52 am

yes it is possible but i do not know how much extra boost you will get
mike
omaha,ne
1988 work in progresss (205 assem w/tdo6/haltech)sold
1988 a driver (RED) sold
1992 the keeper (RED)
1993 sold to 2of81 (RED)
saved_1992
Established Member
 
Posts: 1677
Images: 0
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:53 pm
Location: omaha,ne

Postby -==L=a=N=c=E==- » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:54 am

saved_1992 wrote:yes it is possible but i do not know how much extra boost you will get


Its all trial and error im told... Just needed to know if its been done :)

Ill report back on how it goes :)
User avatar
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Club Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Rosewood, Queensland, Australia

Postby ___Scott___ » Fri Sep 03, 2004 5:29 pm

I've done it, but I recommend just going with a ball/spring boost controller. You can build your own or pick one up cheap off eBay. I made mine and it works great.
Scott
Colorado Springs, CO - USA
SONY
Opera - The better browser
User avatar
___Scott___
Established Member
 
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 5:30 pm
Location: - - USA - - Colorado Springs, CO

Postby Griffin » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:02 pm

-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote:
saved_1992 wrote:yes it is possible but i do not know how much extra boost you will get


Its all trial and error im told... Just needed to know if its been done :)

Ill report back on how it goes :)


Yup it works - mine has 3 washers stacked between the wastegate actuator and compressor housing at both bolts and I made about 24 PSI with the factory controller at 100% duty cycle. I think theres actually more boost left in it still, but I'm looking for an electronically adjustable means of proper control. I've been considering trying to add a restrictor in the line from the compressor to the actuator
Dave Staba
Owner - DD Performance Research
SOLD - 1990 Black ST185
Current - 2000 Celica GTS , 2000 MR2 Spyder, 2013 Scion FR-S
Sealy, TX
User avatar
Griffin
Established Member
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:09 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby -==L=a=N=c=E==- » Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:23 pm

Griffin wrote:
-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote:
saved_1992 wrote:yes it is possible but i do not know how much extra boost you will get


Its all trial and error im told... Just needed to know if its been done :)

Ill report back on how it goes :)


Yup it works - mine has 3 washers stacked between the wastegate actuator and compressor housing at both bolts and I made about 24 PSI with the factory controller at 100% duty cycle. I think theres actually more boost left in it still, but I'm looking for an electronically adjustable means of proper control. I've been considering trying to add a restrictor in the line from the compressor to the actuator


3 washers and 24psi! f*** me! Ill try 2 washers, and see what i get... Im only aiming for around 1Bar MAX.
User avatar
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Club Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Rosewood, Queensland, Australia

Postby st185-sainz » Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:02 pm

I normally use M10 nuts for shiming! this works fine and I normally get 1-1,1bar boost!
Mario,
ST205 blue: completely stock
ST185CS (white): white - gravel/snow spec, dog box, TRD clutch, uprated turbo, lightened flywheel, uprated actuator, cold air intake, ST182 cams, walbro pump, batt relocation, forgies, programmable ECU (dyno), ...
User avatar
st185-sainz
Club Member
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:28 pm
Location: Austria

Postby Griffin » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:12 am

-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote:
Griffin wrote:
-==L=a=N=c=E==- wrote:
saved_1992 wrote:yes it is possible but i do not know how much extra boost you will get


Its all trial and error im told... Just needed to know if its been done :)

Ill report back on how it goes :)


Yup it works - mine has 3 washers stacked between the wastegate actuator and compressor housing at both bolts and I made about 24 PSI with the factory controller at 100% duty cycle. I think theres actually more boost left in it still, but I'm looking for an electronically adjustable means of proper control. I've been considering trying to add a restrictor in the line from the compressor to the actuator


3 washers and 24psi! f*** me! Ill try 2 washers, and see what i get... Im only aiming for around 1Bar MAX.


I should add that I have a modified CT26 not a stock one - your results may vary.
Dave Staba
Owner - DD Performance Research
SOLD - 1990 Black ST185
Current - 2000 Celica GTS , 2000 MR2 Spyder, 2013 Scion FR-S
Sealy, TX
User avatar
Griffin
Established Member
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:09 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Postby facapino » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:33 am

can anyone post pics on exactly where to put the washers? sorry for the ignorance. :oops:

or at least a detailed explanation.

thanks
facapino
Club Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:15 am
Location: philippines

Postby -==L=a=N=c=E==- » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:01 pm

facapino wrote:can anyone post pics on exactly where to put the washers? sorry for the ignorance. :oops:

or at least a detailed explanation.

thanks


Ill take some pictures for you when i do mine (wednesday hopefully)

Basically, on the compressor housing, there is a bracket which holds the wastegate actuator. It is held on by 2 screws. By putting washers inbetween the bracket and the housing, you can increase the boost, as the actuatot is further away from the wastegate, therefore more boost.
User avatar
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Club Member
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:22 pm
Location: Rosewood, Queensland, Australia

Postby facapino » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:45 am

ok thanks. though i got the basic idea. :)
facapino
Club Member
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:15 am
Location: philippines

Postby superalltrac » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:36 am

I've shimmed my wastegate and I got about 5 extra psi. before I shimmed I believe I was only getting 3 psi. I have also since put in a MBC and now I finally get 12 psi. I think it's time to rebuild the turbo or get a new one. Does anyone have a used one for sale?
Trevor,
1988 ST165 (ST185 turbo)
283,000 kms and still going
(well somewhat, haha)
superalltrac
Club Member
 
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:36 pm
Location: Carstairs, AB Canada


Return to Performance and Power

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest