st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

CMS-GT4

So the search is on. After examining the 205 BGB, this port is not listed. It is not the heater core. That is for sure. I traced that. I am going to see if anyone on mr2 oc might help. I wonder if the st205 had suttle changes under the hood just like the 90-91 and 92-93 models.

CMS-GT4

Yeah but I keep taking so many long laspes between working on the car, I forget every thing. I lost the whole day yesterday just trying to figure out what I have helf and printing out directions. Anyone want to come down for a weekend and help me finish this bad boy up? :D

CMS-GT4

So the project is on hold for the rest of the week due to a magazine. This week, I am going to go buy a new tool set so I can finish the car.
I may have lost support from my 3rd gen mr2 freind due to him being busy as of late.

So, I hope I can round him up when it comes time to trouble shoot any issues.

CMS-GT4

Fuel filter. Reroute charcoal canster (mostly done). Swap water temp sender. Install acc. belt. Fan. A few sensors to change plugs on. Fuse block. Wire in code 54 defense. Pull a rounded bolt to install DP bracket.

Welding:
FMIC
WG bracket

Then trouble shoot. I might have vaccum hoses or water lines to still figure out. I think next weekend I can turn the key.

Thats just the stuff to get the car started. I still need to do plenty more, like fuel pump boost guage and a whole list of other things.

CMS-GT4

Finished removal of the charcoal canister today.

img0860cm2.jpg

Put the alternator back in. verified today that with the AC in place the st185 belot will not fit the st205 engine. Its about 1" too short, with the tensioner all the way loose.

I tried to change the fuel filter but I am having a hell of a time removing the bottom line.

I plan on finishing the finiky stuff this weekend then this week will be to start the trouble shooting and getting it running right.

CMS-GT4

I got the fuel filter off. Worse thing I ever had to do on the car. It was just a pain in the ass to get that bottom fitting off.

I havce to wait till tomorrow to put it back on, since my filter did not come with crush washers.

I also changed the water temp sensor.

Problem I have now is I can not find the plug on the 205 harness for the oil pressure sensor. So would it be ok if I use the 185 oil pressure sensor?

That and the knock sensor are the last tow plugs I have to tackle. After the fuel filter is on, and I check all the hoses and fittings, I think I can turn the key to start trouble shooting.

CMS-GT4

So we are going to try and start the car tomorrow. Turns out the knock sensor was already wired for me. Good thing, cause there is about no way in hell I could get to it.

We will begin trouble shooting this week. I hope to have it all sorted out by the end of the month, then off to the welder it goes for fmic fitting.

I think I should be ready for the meet coming up. :D

CMS-GT4

So, we hooked up the ECU. Compression is good across the board. The starter needed to be hit a few times to unfreeze.

It cranks and seems good, but I am not getting any fuel.

Any suggestions?

BTW: THe trunk had about 20 gallons of water in it for a few months. Is it possible the fuel pump could have been fried or something due to the water?

We don't think it is getting any juice possibly.

CMS-GT4

GODDAMN!!! THE SUNAVABITCH RUNS!!!!!!

There was a loose plug on the ecu harness. It keeps running too. Now to just trouble shoot the vaccum hoses and we are ready to rock!!

Almost done guys.

CMS-GT4

Thanks for everyone's help so far. I am in the home stretch. Just these hoses and wiring up my code 54 solution then I can put on the fmic and drive this thing around.

I looked in my st205 BGB pdf but it only shows the hose where they are connected but not the other end where they need to go.
I heard there is a bgb page that has all vacuum hosses, but I looked through the whole thing twice with no luck.

Here are the images. I circled the hose{s} in question.

img3726xf6.jpg

img3727wb8.jpg

img3728go5.jpg

img3729ay7.jpg

I think this one might be an old one from my 185. Its been so long I can ot remember. If it is, what needs to connect to where this ends. What is it for?
img3730ka4.jpg

thanks,
JC

CMS-GT4

I have most of the hoses sorted out. I am getting codes 54 and 23. I am going to work on code 54 and hope code 23 solves itself like it did for Keith.

About all thats left is to put on the fmic and wastegate bracket.

CMS-GT4

Alright. So my Intercooler is on the way. We should have this thing for its first test drive next week.
I got a pigtail and intercooler pump from a late model bocra and a nice custom core for the IC. This setup should be able to hold up pretty well.

Quick question. Are there two main engine grounds or one?

CMS-GT4

I got a couple of hoses left to work out and I am done. I just have to figure out where the second vsv hose goes. Any ideas?

I have to swap plugs. The 185 vsv and 205 have a different plug. I am waiting for a couple of pig tails for my oil pressure sensor and intercooler pump. I plan on a quick spin around to block to just see how everything is offering.