st205 into st185 swap faq/ and parts compatibility

k_trac

Well, thats a tough question....

but my calculations show that it goes in .805 times

Thats what you meant right?? :twisted:

As for the PS pump, from what I remember the problem that I ran into was that the fitting that threaded into the pump off the 185 was too long, interms of the inverted 45 deg. surface bottomed out before the shoulder of the bolt sealed to the pump. Why it was designed with two seperated sealing surfaces....I dont know.....

But I just used a couple of aluminium crush washers and jacked it up to the bolt shoulder and 45 met at the same point. I did reuse that brass double bushing thing, in addition to the alu crush washers.

It started leaking when I was pushing the car around before I made that fix, now it hasnt lost a drop.

I hope that helped, let me know if there was anything else!

CMS-GT4

There is a brass fitting company in town. I was just going to see if they cold make the old fitting work on the new one.

I'll take some pics of the part I need.

We are slowing down on the project. They are going to black out my engine bay before installing the engine, then once the fmic is ready, we are going to put everything in and get the wiring done.

The part I am confused on now are the things Scott mentioned earlier.

The 2nd water temp sensor on the water elbow. Where is that? And what wire do I need to splice into it.

I am also trying to determine which part on the tb is the temp sensor he was talking about. I thought about using the cold start injector wire on that one since it would be so close.

k_trac

Well, if you are going to have something machined, just take that fancy 21ishmm bolt with the holes through it and just have the 45 deg angle machined down whatever depth it would take to use the original brass washers.

Heck, you could probably find the correct angle countersync and use a hand drill / drill press and take it down some.

Good luck with that wiring....Im still avoiding it at ALL costs.... :doh:

nynoah75

Seriously I know some people here have put a st205 engine into a 165 body. Does anyone here know what I need to do to do this. I do not want to reinvent the wheel. I would rather learn from someone and build on that knowledge.

CMS-GT4

I know at least one person on this board has. I would talk to Chris (gtfour.ca) He knows a bit about wiring. I would look to him to see what is needed for his 185 swap he did, then supliment that with this data. Thats the best I can help with. Good luck and keep us posted.

k_trac

I would think it wouldnt be that much different than into a 185.

For instance, there have been plenty 185 engines put in 165's. And it looks like the easiest way to get a 205 engine to work in a 185 is to use the 185 harness, so take that same concept and repin the 165 harness and switching some connectors and apply that to the 205 motor.

Granted, the 165 harness may be older and more different than the 185 harness...

brophats

so whats different about the power steering pump on the st205 as apposed to the st185. i'm currently in the middle of doing this swap too. the wiring was pretty easy i used a brand new st185 harness. but i'm trying to figure out what other parts i need. cause if a 92-93 ps pump can be used then i'm good i can get one of those pretty easy and which mounts are different?

Demetrius

CMS-GT4

The hardline does not fit into the 205 pump. I would have used my 185 pump if it wasnt for it being damaged. So I am making an adapter for it to work on my pump.

I hope to have every going by this weekend.

We are blacking out the engine bay, cause I don't want to have to pull the engine again when I paint the car.

Also having to toss some stuff from the trunk that got spoiled during the rain when the window got busted.

CMS-GT4

We got the engine and everything in. Figured out the solution to the steering pump.

There is a main adapter in the body of the PS pump. We just had to swaps those and then we could use the hard line from the 185.

We are running into a sensor problem right now though. I am going to take some pics tonight and post them up for everyone to see. I have a hand full of sensors that are not working. I will post later and hope we can sort this out.

Cheers,

JC

Fat Trac

oh i'm here, just reading. am going to do this swap in the next couple months into my 185 as well. are you guys using the 185 ecu? wouldn't it be easier to use the 205 one?

on the 165 i imagine you will have exhaust issues, and the engine won't clear the hood.

CMS-GT4

We are using the 205 ECU, but the 185 harness. Supposed to be easier that way instead of wiring in the accesories.

I am still trying to dig the damn stock ecu out. Fricken A man.

The piping was going to be late, but its supposed to be here monday. Trying to get a core in that time too.

Can anyone point out where the 2nd water elbow is? I need to wire into it for the 2nd tmp sensor.

We are having a few sensors that do not match the plugs. So I am going to try and use the old sensors.

Also the accesory belt from the 185 is about 1" too small.

Any suggestions for pulling out the damn ecu?

Also, any links to removing the airbag computer?

And what the hell is a speed limiter computer?

I don't want to put that shit back in.

CMS-GT4

So, I think the speed computer is for cruise control. I am going to leave the airbag computer unplugged unless it doesn't let the car start.

I have a hand full of vacume lines I am trying to figure out.

Anyone have any links or reference to the 205 vacume hoses?

Going to try and finish the car tomorrow night. I will let you all know how it goes.

CMS-GT4

Please do.

I think I have all the wiring sorted out less the two water temp sensors on the elbow.

In the place the THAM sensor will go, I have an egr temp sensor. I am just going to splice it to the THAM sensor.

The rest should be cake. Except those hoses...

CMS-GT4

Well, she is back home now and I am trying to finish the car up. I am really concidering replacing the rear hatch with lexan instead of glass. My only concern is if it fogs up, I have not defroster.

I am also thinking about ditching the A/C. I bet I can get this car under 3k.

img29944xt.jpg

img29969rd.jpg

illGT4

Good work JC.

I am searching for a descent 205 clip for the 185 and I stumbled across your thread. I wish you luck and I will keep checking back here to see how you are coming along.

I'm throughly bored with the GT-Four.. I need something like this swap to get things exciting again.

Top work, man! :wink:

k_trac

Ok, so Im gonna use my trusty old 185 harness, thanks for that write up, would never have done it without that. More I look at it, more sense it makes. :oops:

Have a question though.... In the case of the 02 sensor, knock sensor, etc., do I use the perspective 185 sensor or swap over the plug from the 205 harness in order to use the 205 plug?

I do plan on using my 205 alt, starter

Thanks!