The ST185 wheel size thread (offsets, widths, etc)

Suspension and other discussion

Calculator in Excel

Postby mike325ci » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:50 pm

I made a offset/backspacing calculator in MS Excel that I think will be useful to have, as a supplement to all the info posted in this thread.

I posted it in the FAQ section here:
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=69213
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby furpo » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:52 pm

Playfortoday wrote:OK guys... I have about five of these threads stickied, and I reviewed all of them. Also, I have been search the web for about four hours now, and I am having no luck. I still am unsure what size and brand I should go with. Maybe the answer is out there, but all of the jargon is confusing sometimes.

I would like whatever size wheel and tire that I go with to fill the wheel wells (as flush with fenders as possible) without rubbing the fenders or requiring me to roll them. Here is my set up:

Stock suspension, no wheel spacers. Currently running some lame 16" generic alloys with stock offsets. They look pathetic and sunker in from the fender lip.

Since I am going to be spending loads o' cash on new wheels and tires, I was hoping there is a wheel and tire combo out there that can help me to avoid having to spend extra money on H&R wheel spacers. However, if there is a sweet as size combination out there that mates up to the H&R spacers brilliantly, then I am game I guess.

I was looking at getting a 16(preferably due to weigh) or 17 inch wheels as wide as possible(or with an agressive offset) without having to place a custom order. The wheel style that I like best so far is the Enkei ZR1 in SBC or the OR52 in Anthracite. There are others brands out there that I like better but the enkei's seem cheaper. I am open to any brand with a similar styling to those too. Under $200 preferably.

Thanks in advance!

unless you buy two different offsets of wheels it will be impossable to fill the fenders on the front and rear without fitting rear wheel spacers.

if you measure the distance on your car from the hub to fender you will be able to figure out where it rim is in relation to the fender for a given wide and offset of mag. i have the measurements for a narrow body car but this will not help you much but i can post them up if you want.

roger
don't mind me, i always need help
furpo
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:16 pm

Found another wheel that seems to be made for the alltrac.

The TRD super touring, 17x8 wheel.

http://www.takakaira.co.jp/asp/template ... KkfhGielHg

Coldiron
92 st185 (205 swap) | 03 350Z Track (sold) | 13 Pilot | 17 Mazda3
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:08 pm

Found more wheel options. This company will make wheels, any offset, bolts pattern, and width for around 1,800/set. I am getting prices on 17" wheels from them.

The wheel is a 3 peice wheel, and if you dmaage part of it, you just buy the part you need. Spend 100 bucks to fix a wheel, rather 500 for a new one. The price is good if you concider the cost of volks in simular sizes. They are also light racing wheels.

http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php
Coldiron
www.noritoy.com | noritoy.deviantart.com | http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19891
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:58 pm

Here is another 185 in japan with a simular tire setup to the garage cruise car.

Specs:

hideki wrote:He is a friend of mine.

Not sure about the offset now (17-9J)
It has the PCD changer(spacer: PCD 100mm->114.3mm) and looked t=25 or 30mm

Tire
Front 245/40
Rear 225/45
(Before ,F&R 255/40 )

Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby db » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:14 pm

Found a real good, in depth offset wheel/tire combo calculator.

http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm
Dave
Black 1990 Celica Alltrac
2011 Ford Fusion SE (Daily driver)
2008 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.facebook.com/ethinos
db
Established Member

Postby ruffneck » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:50 am

Ok so shopping for new wheels to fit my Rocketeer brake package, I'm looking at G.Max 6 spoke wheels, 17*8 with a 45 mm offset..u guys think this will fit ok? I thought I would need a lower offset but the guy at the shop was telling me that because the actual rim is wider, it moves the wheel further out so the offset can be a little bit higher and still fit> What you all reckon?, or are there too many factors to say? If so like what?
ruffneck
st185 that's getting there
melb, aust.
ruffneck
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:08 pm

Here is my .2 one wheel fitment.

We all, especially before we had much understanding about wheel size and offset were/are looking for an easy answer for wheel fitment. Here is the best way to go about it.

• Get the specs on the wheels you currently have. Width, offset.

• With the car on a level ground, then measure the distance from the fender lip to the wheel. Then of course.... write it down.

• Then measure the distance from the inside of the wheel to the strut and anything else that the lip of the rim might be close to and could hit if wider.

• Then use one of the offset calculators we listed and see what changes.

The goal tends to be get further from the strut and closer to the fender lip.

You can go with a lower offset in the rear but many of us choose to run spacers to 1) get wheels cheaper as a set, 2) rotate tires.

If you choose not to run a rear spacer you can go very low and have a dipped or dished look wheel.

I would estimate if a 17x9 wheel w/ 30et comes close to flush with the fender, on a 25mm spacer then a 17x9 w/ 5et will fit the same w/o the spacer.
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby SuperWhite92 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:32 am

okay, how about massive spacers to both clear the strut and get the good flush look? does that sound good to you.

Actually, I found that stock 2.5RS wheels and wrx don't fit at all on the rears. They're both somewhere around a 50 offset. They hit the strut .

My vote goes to buying Celica/Toyota offset rims rather than Subaru
Shaun
My 1992 Alltrac is for sale again.
SuperWhite92
GTFour God

Postby AWDios » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:23 pm

ok my 17x9 30et's are almost flush with no spacer. I worry that with the spacer they'd actually stick out.
90 White 185 with a 97 205 motor
Puget Sound Toyota Owners Club
www.pstoc.org

Formerly known as GT-Four195
AWDios
Established Member

Postby furpo » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:28 am

SuperWhite92 wrote:okay, how about massive spacers to both clear the strut and get the good flush look? does that sound good to you.

Actually, I found that stock 2.5RS wheels and wrx don't fit at all on the rears. They're both somewhere around a 50 offset. They hit the strut .

My vote goes to buying Celica/Toyota offset rims rather than Subaru

lets go through this in detail then, hang on i will just go get the measurements that i took off my car ........................... are yes here we are, keep in mind this is for a narrow body car however, the distance from the hub to the strut should be the same unless toyota has got their wires crossed somewhere.

on the front the distance from the hub to the strut is 180mm - the distance from the hub to the guard is 80mm. so in total 260mm or 10 inchs, so a 9 inch wheel will fit just.

a 225 mm tyre on a 8 inch rim measures about 9 inches accross. so the max offset that can be used is 60mm. this makes sence as my 17 x 8's with a 35mm offset have about 25mm gap to the strut. so bring on the subaru wheels, most aftermarket subaru wheels have a 45mm offset.

on the rear the distance to the strut from the hub is less. i measure it to be 160mm and then 90mm to the guard. with the same wheel as pointed out above the minimum offset is 40mm. again this makes sence as i have a gap of about 5mm to the strut with my wheels. so a subaru wheel will not fit on the back however, if you run a 10mm spacer it will.

so AWDios's 9inch wide wheel probably measures 10 inches with the tyre on it. with a 30mm offset this would mean the back spacing is 155mm on the outside they would be 95mm. this would mean the hub to guard measurement on the wide body car is about 110mm.

the distance for a 17 x 8 inch wheel measuring 9 inches and a 45mm offset but having a 10mm spacer will sit 30mm from being flush with the guard. with a more typical 25mm wheel spacer this will be 15mm from the guard.

ruffneck, personally i would look around for a wider wheel and go for the larger offset. your car will drive a lot better when you get rid of the large scrub raduis on the front. i brought my wheels from the states and there is a large number of possibilities particuarly when you go for a subaru wheel.

run
don't mind me, i always need help
furpo
Club Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:49 pm

It depends on how flush you want it. There is no real magic number, since people want a different flush and setup. Width also affects how flush the wheel is vs offset. THat is why people need to learn how to use the offset calcualtors to figure out what they want.

The magic number with no spacers would seem to be 17x9 30 et and 5 et in the rear. Not everyone wants 17x9 wheels. Some people want 8.5, or 8 or what ever looks good.

A decent option is 17x8 w/30 et as well. W/ 25 mm spacer on the rear.

What it comes down to is taking some measurements of you car as is, then deciding on what offset/width you want then finding a wheel to match.
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby db » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:16 pm

My question. Can those 9 inch rims still do a full lock turn without having the tires rub? I see everyone doing math and whatnot, but not a mention of rubbing during sharp turns. The front wheels do turn.
Dave
Black 1990 Celica Alltrac
2011 Ford Fusion SE (Daily driver)
2008 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.facebook.com/ethinos
db
Established Member

Postby CMS-GT4 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:54 pm

Here is a thread where a member fit 275 slicks all around their alltrac.

http://alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10090
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

Postby CMS-GT4 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:55 am

For those wanting a magic number I say 17x8 w/ 30-35 et and 225-235 tires 40 profile.

I still think people should measure and figure out what they need but from the pics posted on the forum 17x8 30et fit nice on a gtfour.

Now a new topic.

We have seen 2 race gtfours with different front and rear tire profile sizes.

Bob that autox'es his alltrac, and the garage cruise celica.

I posted a thread on the scca forum, but have little feedback as of yet.
My hypothosis is that a taller rear tire will rotate slower than the front tire.
For example
F: 245/40/17
R: 255/45/17
The rear will be ~5% slower than the front.
I am not sure how this tranlates to power split, but the idea is that the vc diff senses that the front wheels moving faster is "slip" therefore sending more power to the rear constsantly.

This could only be used for racing and autox cause it will edventually wear out the center diff.

The question now is, do we make the rear tires wider, more narrow, or the same size?

Garage cruise had wider front tires, bob had wider rear tires.
I think the narrow tire would act more like a stiff rear sway bar and cause the rear tires to slide out, and the wider tires would just rotate out.
Its really hard to say.

Now a new topic.

I think I am going to gather some data and get some alltrac people to help redo this thread so it isn't so garbaged up.

Maybe a pic of how the tire/wheel relates to the fender and making a visual guide of where the wheels will sit when the width and offset is changed.

Anyone interested in helping?
We need someone with stock wheels, then maybe some other wheel options, 6.5-9" widths.
Anyone game?
Coldiron
CMS-GT4
GTSilver Member

1992 Toyota Celica

PreviousNext

Return to Handling and Braking