The ST185 wheel size thread (offsets, widths, etc)

CMS-GT4

They might work but the problem is you need to run the same size up front. Only way you might get it to work is get them cut down and welded to a width that will match the size you get up front. only issue is the extra cost involved.

underscore

Well yes, you need the same size tires all around or you can damage stuff. I still don't get why AWD cars even come with a spare, there's no way in hell I'd ever run it.

underscore

right, but the height is determined by the sidewall which depends on the width of the tire and how stretched they are on the rim.

celi_wabbit

underscore":3gswopfj said:
Well yes, you need the same size tires all around or you can damage stuff. I still don't get why AWD cars even come with a spare, there's no way in hell I'd ever run it.

I don't think that's quite right. That's what I thought at first and also everyone keeps telling me this. All you really need is the same height. For example, My Audi S4 had two different rims and tires (rims where the same height also) and my Mercedes 4matic also are wider in the back factory stock. As long as the tire height are the same, I think you'll be okay.

Landon

gotta throw in my thoughts. lol. first off the 526 would look hella sick in my opinion. and the offset should be good in the rear, i have the 502 which was an 18x9.5 with 35 offset i believe and i had to run a 25mm spacer. you should be close to perfect in the rear with that offset. might need a small spacer. and about the staggered wheels, you can run them just fine if you research enough to get damn close total rolling diameter. the width doesn't effect anything with the awd. my buddy's r32 is running staggered and he got pretty near perfect diameter. if you wanted to run the 526 get the 17x10 rear and 17x9 in the front and get a tire size that matches up well and you'll have a sweet setup imo. i'd like to see it done. :)

dragstang86

Landon":2pqodorf said:
gotta throw in my thoughts. lol. first off the 526 would look hella sick in my opinion. and the offset should be good in the rear, i have the 502 which was an 18x9.5 with 35 offset i believe and i had to run a 25mm spacer. you should be close to perfect in the rear with that offset. might need a small spacer. and about the staggered wheels, you can run them just fine if you research enough to get damn close total rolling diameter. the width doesn't effect anything with the awd. my buddy's r32 is running staggered and he got pretty near perfect diameter. if you wanted to run the 526 get the 17x10 rear and 17x9 in the front and get a tire size that matches up well and you'll have a sweet setup imo. i'd like to see it done. :)

What tire size are you running on yours? No spacer in the front? Are they sitting flush how they are now? How much clearance left on the inside of the wheels? Thank for the help, I should be able to figure out the perfect sizing based on yours since it's so close. I'm going to see if they have the 526 in an 18. I think it would look sick if I can get it figured out. Car is black too.

dragstang86

I have been doing a lot or research and I would like to do the XXR 526 17 x 10 + 20mm with what I figure will need a 5-15mm spacer. Hopefully Landon can let me know what the clearance is like on his and I should be able to figure out if I need the clearance on the inside or outside. Landon I figure at a 15mm spacer will put me with 1mm less clearance on the inside than you and would extended 11 mm more on the outside than yours. Hence a 5mm spacer would put it just 1 mm out further than yours but it would require 11mm additional clearance on the inside which is what I am wondering if you currently have. Are yours sitting flush now?

On the front I would go with the 17x9 and either +25 or +35 are available in that wheel. Which would be the better one to go with? I need to try and find out if my Wilwood 6 piston front brake kit has any different offset than stock but assuming it is the same as the factory brakes, which would be the better route? I have read that 17x9 +30 is ideal but that is not offered.

The lips are already rolled front and rear. A 255/40/17 would work on both the front and rear rim widths so the over circumference should be pretty close with the rears just slightly more stretched thus maybe being slightly shorter but I cant see it being any more then having worn tires on the rear and new tires on the front. What do you guys think?

Landon

hey man, if you look over my build on this page i have all the info and pics about my set up. its kinda hard to say exactly what something is gonna do. but on the rear i have prolly about like maybe 15mm of clearence between my coilovers and the wheel. like i think i can fit my finger in between, but its tight. they sit pretty flush imo but i plan on lowering the rear more and rolling somemore on the back so it doesn't rub when its lower. if you come out another 11mm you might need to roll more but i'm sure it can be done. it honestly depends on how much work you want to put into having a good stance. i'm believe it can happen though. if you can run a 25 offset up front i'd prolly do that, but 35 should fit fine too. the 35 is gonna give you more clearence for brakes i would assume. as far as tires go, i wouldn't reccomend doing the same size all around. running worn tires in the rear and new in the front is somehting that people actually strongly advise against with awd cars. thats why you usually don't replace 1 or 2 tires at a time. usually it should be a set. i would prolly run like 255s in the rear and 235's up front. check out these two things and hopefully they can help you figure it out.
my build
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=34781&start=30
tire size calculator. (helps you set up two different tire sizes to compare front and rear)
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

dragstang86

Landon":1z3imbfq said:
hey man, if you look over my build on this page i have all the info and pics about my set up. its kinda hard to say exactly what something is gonna do. but on the rear i have prolly about like maybe 15mm of clearence between my coilovers and the wheel. like i think i can fit my finger in between, but its tight. they sit pretty flush imo but i plan on lowering the rear more and rolling somemore on the back so it doesn't rub when its lower. if you come out another 11mm you might need to roll more but i'm sure it can be done. it honestly depends on how much work you want to put into having a good stance. i'm believe it can happen though. if you can run a 25 offset up front i'd prolly do that, but 35 should fit fine too. the 35 is gonna give you more clearence for brakes i would assume. as far as tires go, i wouldn't reccomend doing the same size all around. running worn tires in the rear and new in the front is somehting that people actually strongly advise against with awd cars. thats why you usually don't replace 1 or 2 tires at a time. usually it should be a set. i would prolly run like 255s in the rear and 235's up front. check out these two things and hopefully they can help you figure it out.
my build
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=34781&start=30
tire size calculator. (helps you set up two different tire sizes to compare front and rear)
http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Thanks for the info. Lots of helpful information. That is a really useful calculator. It shows the 255/40/16 to have the same overall height on a 10" wide rim as it does a 9" rim. So I suppose stretching the tire only has a real effect on tire width, not tire diameter. If you have 15mm clearance on the inside than I could split the difference and run like a 8 mm spacer and have about 7 mm inside clearance and only extend out 4mm more than yours which wouldn't even be a noticeable difference. The quarters are rolled really tight. Does your coil overs provide additional needed clearance over the stock suspension? What coil overs do you have? It sounds like it is going to be possible. I have really thick spacers on the rear right now but I have a mill at work that I can shave them to the exact size I need in order to fine tune the spacing if it needs something like a 7 or 8 mm spacer.

dragstang86

Man your car looks so sick! Makes me want to put 18's on it. I wish the 526 or 502 was offered in a 18x10 +20. The looks of your 18's but with the added lip of the 17x10 +20 in gloss black would be nasty on a black car!

Landon

you have stock suspension? that might be a problem... are you wanting to lower your car too? cause if you wanna be flush you will have to lower it. i have ksport coilovers and i love them. i think with the stock suspension you will have less clearence.

underscore

celi_wabbit":1te3jwy3 said:
underscore":1te3jwy3 said:

I don't think that's quite right. That's what I thought at first and also everyone keeps telling me this. All you really need is the same height. For example, My Audi S4 had two different rims and tires (rims where the same height also) and my Mercedes 4matic also are wider in the back factory stock. As long as the tire height are the same, I think you'll be okay.

The height is the only part that matters, however tires aren't measured in terms to total height, so you better be sure you calculate it right or you'll blow shit up. Tire width, sidewall number and any stretch will all alter the total height, when you can easily run the same size all around I don't see why not.

dragstang86

Landon":2dxougnv said:
you have stock suspension? that might be a problem... are you wanting to lower your car too? cause if you wanna be flush you will have to lower it. i have ksport coilovers and i love them. i think with the stock suspension you will have less clearence.

It doesn't have stock suspension on it but it doesn't have coil overs. I don't know what brand they are as they were on the car when I bought it but they are red struts with lowering springs. I wish I knew what offset the wheels that are on it are which would help me figure it out but I don't even know what kind of wheels they are. I'll have to do some research. They must have a ton of offset because there is at least a one inch spacer in there and I still am an inch ore more away from being flush in the rear with a 225/40/18.

Playing around with the offset calculator if you do indeed have 15 mm of clearance left on the inside. I could run the 17x10 +20 with a 4mm spacer and it would sit in the same exact spot in relation to the quarter panel as yours but with 12mm less clearance on the inside. If you get a chance, I'd greatly appreciate it if you could measure how much clearance you have in there. Thanks!

dragstang86

underscore":rz2uzow3 said:
celi_wabbit":rz2uzow3 said:
underscore":rz2uzow3 said:

The height is the only part that matters, however tires aren't measured in terms to total height, so you better be sure you calculate it right or you'll blow shit up. Tire width, sidewall number and any stretch will all alter the total height, when you can easily run the same size all around I don't see why not.

I follow what you are saying. Running a 9" in the front and a 10" in the back I could run the same size tire. The calculator, if accurate doesn't show the 1 inch difference in width having any affect on the over diameter. And just playing around with some tires laying around...I can't really see any effect buy just stretching an inch. The 255/40/17s I was looking at have a recommended rim width of 8.5-10 so I wouldn't be stretching outside of their recommendations. Think it will be an issue? My reason for wanting the 10" in the rear is just because I want to be able to run the xxr 526 with the 4.25 inch lip on it!

abraxxa

Guys, why do you want to run such wide tires on an AWD car?
If you make the rears wider it will understeer even more than it already does!

magnum

IMG_20120109_105155.jpg

here is a 17x9.5+15mm. It has 6mm of space between the wheel and strut tube. You would need a 17x10+10mm to have a safe gap between the wheel and strut.