Brake options

SBCelicaGT

Griffin":3mbyrlxh said:
SBCelicaGT":3mbyrlxh said:
To each his own. I just can't justify spending $1000 when I can solve brake fade with $120 race pads and some good brake fluid.

Ummm - RBF600 is about as good as brake fluid gets... As for pads - anything more agressive than what I have is going to be very rotor - unfriendly. Yes it will get the job done but I'll be looking at picking up a new set of rotors with my next set of pads in that case. And it won't be that far off....

The reasons I like the idea of larger brakes is they should give the increased performance I want while at the same time maintiaining some kind of reasonable reliablity

I agree that race pads eat rotors like crazy, but $1000 worth of $20 brembo rotors is 50 rotors. That's a crapload of rotors.

Oh, and I wasn't implying that the Motul fluid is bad, it was just an overall statement that good pads and fluid is what I recommend. Motul is one of the best you can buy. If you wanted to go balls out, you could purchase some Castrol SRF, but at $70/liter, it's kinda hard to justify the 500degF(wet) boiling point. haha.

granite statah

What about cryo treating? Would that help with durability issues? Does it help brake fade at all, even without drilling/slotting? I seem to remember a post from the old board about someone experimenting with liquid Nitrogen on their rotors.

SBCelicaGT

Cryo treating a metal is a way to temper the material.

Webster says :

Temper: To harden or strengthen (metal or glass) by application of heat or by heating and cooling.

So no, it will not improve brake fade.

Researchers at the American National Bureau of Standards, speaking about deep cryogenic tempering, stated, "When carbon precipitates form, the internal stress in the martensite is reduced, which minimises the susceptibility to micro cracking."

What does that mean in english? Well, a crack in a rotor usually develops from heating it unevenly. This usually happens with cross-drilled rotors as the metal around the holes cool faster than the rest of the rotor. This uneven heating(and cooling!) causes the metal to expand and contract at different rates. Brittle materials, like iron, do not like to do that, and will crack.

Cryo treating will reduce the internal stresses of a material, and this reduction in the internal stresses helps the metal to expand and contract more evenly.

For expensive brake rotors, like the aforementioned Wilwood's, cryo treating will prolong the useable life of the rotor because even slotted, or full face rotors, will develop cracked under heavy use.

For stock type full face rotors, for the price of cryo treating, you could by a new set of rotors, so I don't think it's worth it.

Darth Boost

Griffin":20qv0sxf said:
we see eye to eye on a lot of stuff :) Too late for me to appologize for that whole pissing match over the typo deal? :D

Mmm... water under the bridge will flow, no matter what mankind may try in an attempt to stop it. Sometimes it's a flood, and sometimes it's a trickle, but regardless, it will always wash away pain. The speed at which it does this is relative, however.

My river flows very rapidly.

Griffin

Darth Boost":32uxjlpm said:
So do I, but my river runs at 17 PSI at the head, so it's a bitch to stop.

Ditto but 24 PSI :D Thankfully I've taken some of the water weight out of the river which helps a bit.

furpo

the only drilled rotors i would ever get are ones with the holes cast into them as apposed to the ones with the holes drilled in them.

also what effect does putting bigger calipers on these cars have on the abs? and also does the proportioning valve need to be changed to get the front to rear bias right?

roger

CMS-GT4

ABS sucks. If you are going through the trouble of making a better braking system, I'd ditch the abs.

furpo

that is what i suspected. i have a written off non abs gt4 sitting on my front lawn at the moment. are there any differences between the abs and non abs brake systems other than the pipes, abs box and abs computer?

roger

Griffin

furpo":1wgj8r29 said:
that is what i suspected. i have a written off non abs gt4 sitting on my front lawn at the moment. are there any differences between the abs and non abs brake systems other than the pipes, abs box and abs computer?

roger

The proportioning valve may be different, as may the master cylinder - I don't know for sure though.

maroon_185

what about the slotted and dimpled rotors on 935, I want slotted but want the look of crossdrilled also at the same time with out the possibility of cracking , so say would the dimple really hurt anything in your guys opinon

AWDios

Not as bad as drilled, but it's still creating a weakness. Like was stated before, if this is just a street aplication, I wouldn't worry about it too much because you just won't be putting the same stress on the rotor.

SBCelicaGT

furpo":32m24cgx said:

roger

90-93 Celica Alltracs have 15/16" bore MC w/o ABS and 1" if you have ABS.

furpo

thanks for that. ill stick with the abs master cylinder. is there any difference in the caliper piston size?

roger

SBCelicaGT

Not that I know of. I have a set of Alltrac calipers that match the set of GT-S calipers. 50mm fronts and 35 mm rears. Anyone with an ABS car can measure theirs to verify, but I doubt it.

alltracman78

Calipers are the same, but the porportioning valve is different.
Only the front lines are different. Rears are the same.

*One other factor, do the 184s/185s have the same brake porportion? If not, changing to a 184 non-abs porportioning valve will change the front/rear bias. Not sure how much it matters tho :shrug: *