bushing replacement suggestions (zombie bump!)

lumbercis

Hi all,
I have the infamous CLUNK! when I reverse quickly and then when I move forward after. I assume based on the other threads that ive read that it's my rear diff mount. I plan on getting the aluminum mount from Mario.

My question is, my road feel/handling feels kind of crappy now. I imagine that it's due to the 13 year old suspension bushings/bearings etc. under there. I don't really want to do massive upgrades, since I don't have alot of cash right now. I just want to get it working well at a relatively stock level. I work at toyota, so I can get OEM parts relatively cheaply, but if I can spend a similar amount for a poly/upgraded part, I will. So which mounts/bushings and assorted bits do you think I should replace to "freshen up" my suspension? And which parts would you replace with OEM and which with aftermarket stuff?

Thanks for your suggestions!

J.

Stubble

Take all 4 endlinks for the swaybars off. See if there is any play with them. They're relatively easy to get off (use a 5mm allen wrench to hold the stud and a 14mm wrench), and you can quickly see if they need replacing.

When I redid all my bushings last year, the control arm bushings were still in good shape, the lateral arm bushings did not look so good, and the sway bar bushings looked like crap.

Trance4c

I am trying to get confirmation though on these spherical bushings, if they are the same diameter and length needed for the ST184 rear control arms. The linked through used the MA70 Supra spherical bearings because they are sold seperately, anyone know if they will work on the ST184 rear as well as the already documented ST185? These are the only bushings/links or suspension parts I need to find to refresh my whole setup.

Thanks

lumbercis

4 Year BUMP!!! :crazy:

I was about to post a new thread and then something told me I'd asked this question before. After some searching lo and behold I found this thread.

So, the car's different than the one I had when I first posted, but the question is pretty much the same.

Cliffs: post your top 10 list of bushings to replace in order of importance. (excluding motor mounts)

The new project is a high mileage beast, 200K+. It's got a lot of slop in the driveline. I'd like to freshen stuff up, but also don't want to replace every single bushing on the car if I don't have to. So with that in mind:

1) Is there a priority based on which bushings seem to experience the most wear on our cars? The rear diff mount is the obvious #1, but is it common for the bushings to wear out in a particular order? Or does it vary by car?
2) Is there a priority based on what shows the biggest improvement? I.e. are there more "critical" bushings that will show a bigger improvement than others?
3) Is it better to do bushing replacement according to how easy/hard it is to get to? For instance, it may be easy to replace endlinks, so you could do them anytime, but if you want to replace all the bushings on the hub/spindle assembly, you may want to do them all at once if you are going to go through the trouble of taking the hub off. Likewise the rear subframe to chassis bushings or something like that.
4) Does type of intended activity change your order? How would you prioritize bushing replacement for drag racing or road course work?

Appreciate your insight!
J.

Landon

hey man, i dunno if you've got this figured yet. but my two bits of advice on the bushings from experience... the rear suspension bushings can get pretty shot. i replaced mine at it was amazing difference! if you have access to a shop or a press i would say do this for sure. the bushings aren't to spendy and i'd say check for poly ones. i have a sorta write up on my project.

jonnyboygt4

ive also opted to do my rear end...solid mount with bushings and subframe bushings....Klue and mario both offer these kits....bushings are made of delrin i beleive...I havent got them installed yet but when i do i can report how it all feels..

lumbercis

i'd like to hear how it rides with Mario's solid mount and full delrin subframe and diff mounts. I'm almost certainly going to go this way, but am thinking maybe staying OEM for the subframe mounts.

When you guys say rear suspension bushings are you just buying one of those full bushing kits from Superpro? Or are you replacing things individually? Are poly swaybar mounts an important thing to do?

YerRandO

You can also get poly subframe bushings, red rocket on celicatech carries them and they pop up on ebay also. Just thowing out another option

Boo_Guy

If your car likes to move left and right when getting on and off the gas then control and trailing arm bushings are supposed to fix it. :)

klue

I can try and answer some of your questions since I am on here pretty much every day :)

The rear bushing kits that I make, here in Canada are outstanding if I might say so myself :) We are currently working on the sub frame ones as the requests are in a good enough quantity. As you would expect the ride is solid in the rear, which at least for me is 100% desirable. Some may consider it harsh but if you have been driving on a blown diff its certainly a lot better than that. Direct connection to the rear end, improved corner exit, improved throttle response, and LSD function.

For the rear end bushings, if you have the sway feeling as BooGuy is describing those are usually the trailing arms. The rear diff bushing typically clunks under throttle lift and application

klue

celigts":1bhu39ab said:
Oh oh I have the clunk sound :D must be the diff mounts. Klue... I want your mounts :)
Thats what she said :D

In my experience, the usual culprits are rear diff, rear trail arms, wheel bearings, strut top mounts and on the front which ever bushings have oils leaking on them. You can get advice from lots of people still does not beat getting under your car and checking shit out for yourself :)