ST205 Front Brakes

klue

I have the power to have a custom rotor made and a bracket, which ever solution is the least headache i would do. If i can use the stock 205 rotor would be great, As i can easily have them copied.

CMS-GT4

So how much can you get the custom rotors made from? I am talking to a company who can get me a good deal on wrx hats that will fit under the 205 caliper.

CMS-GT4

Crap on a crap cracker. My wheels will not fit over the 205 calipers when they are mounted to the spindle. My spoke design clears larger brake kits but not this one on a 12" rotor. I would need a bracket to use these calipers or a small spacer...

I might have to determine another solution.

klue

Your in the USA im in canada so either way shipping wont be great. I have no specs on the rotors to submit so i cant get an accurate quote.

CMS-GT4

The 205 caliper is not going to work for my wheels, at least if I mount them to the spindle.

I was looking at some wrx rotor hats from this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=

He would have sold them to me for $40 each.
They are designed to clear the stock wrx caliper and per his measurements I would be able to clear the 205 caliper and use a custom rotor ring to have my 2-piece brakes. However, I would have to either use a 6mm spacer and grind 2mm from the caliper or use a 5mm spacer and grind 3mm from the caliper.

The issue I really have is that my disc will not clear the spoke of my wheels unless I use a larger rotor and a bracket.

Since I am going to have to do custom rotors anyway, I would be better off using the sti rotor hat and just getting a custom disc made to fill the entire caliper. I have an idea of what I am going to do now, I just have to slowly get the parts and $$ together. I am curious how much longer of a brake line I will need to go to a 14" rotor.

If the face of the st205 rotor is .25mm thick, then I think I will need an 18.6mm offset hat.

Here is the drawing of his dimensions for this hat mounted to a 1.25" thick rotor. He makes custom rotor rings for $130-160.
picture2x.png

bozo-merlin

Hope my sentence will mean something for you :

205 caliper are max out with 330mm rotors

top pads is just at the OD of the rotor and OD of the rotor is 1mm from caliper extrem shape.

i try a 345mm today and the pad is out by a few mm. No way for me to machined caliper to fit this bigger rotor, i will stay with 330mm.

CMS-GT4

I have been thinking of your conversion merlin. Its a shame your caliper bracket is not available to the public. One could use custom hats and rotors with that setup as well.

bozo-merlin

CMS-GT4":1736jqmn said:
I have been thinking of your conversion merlin. Its a shame your caliper bracket is not available to the public. One could use custom hats and rotors with that setup as well.
I don't say it won't be avalaible for public, full development is not complete.
You say that the 114.3 HUB project prior to this, and other people continue talking about 205 rotors ...
It's a pity to do, we all know now, where are information from other 205 caliper fited kit owner ?
1 hour here, 1 hour there, like you, i managed to find something "good" for me ... 1 hour here, 1 hour there, let me time to fully test it before any other information / sharing / saling.

At the moment i try other set up (that's why I say 330mm rotor is the maximum for 205 calipers) but i also try something smaller to fit in 16" without big mod caliper (and it's really hard !!!)

What it looks on my 5 gen (La GrOsse)
IMG_0227.JPG

IMG_0229.JPG

What it looks on a 6 gen

Same braket + 2 spacers to fit the difference depth.

And i have to do 1 or 2 more track day before think make more than 10 part production as i know people in France, UK, Swizerland and probably US want a set.

Is it easy to source 205 caliper in US ?
Is it easy to source alfa roméo 147 GTA rotors in US ?

Other thing i experienced : dba catalog is not up to date for several cars, try brembo catalog, perhaps EBC too.

[Off Topic] Does anyone want Air box like this from me ? :lol:

CMS-GT4

After messing with my calipers today, I think I can make a bracket that raises the caliper ~18mm and allow me to run a 340mm disc. It seems my wheels will fit that as well. It will allow me to move the caliper to change my offset rather than the disc. I am going to make a dummy bracket to test it out.

Wolf_Tm250

It just came to my mind that a friend of mine is using, on his st185, brembo gold series 310mm disks for Audi s3 and Brembo 4 pot calipers.
Iirc, without any bracket...

MrDB

Wolf_Tm250":2zlxdcov said:
It just came to my mind that a friend of mine is using, on his st185, brembo gold series 310mm disks for Audi s3 and Brembo 4 pot calipers.

What brembo calipers, pics ? If this works its the first bolt on solution i have seen without fabrication...

deecee

I was wondering on those that have done the conversion using WRX discs, what disc was used to get the right outer diameter?
I have the opportunity to pick up some cheap ST205 calipers and am trying to figure out the right disc to use.

Now as I understand it, the conversion using the WRX STI rotor, implemented pad spacer units behind the brake pad to account for the difference in rotor thickness:

MY99 - 01 = 294mm diameter x 24mm thickness
But the STI MY02 - 04 uses a 326mm x 30 thickness rotor which would negate the need for pad spacers and increase overall diameter, but can't fit the st205 caliper in place of the stock st185 unit

From what I've read, discs diameters have ranged between 297 - 307mm for milled st205 discs and the use of a 294x 24mm sti disc.

ref:
http://www.celicagtfour.com/205_brake_upgrade.htm
http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19002&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75
http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=19242&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=150

There is the option of using a mounting bracket to change the orientation of the st205 caliper but if I do that, then I may as well use a diff caliper with a larger disc.

I'd rather not machine down rotors. I personally don't like the thought of additional costs on consumables and am aiming for a cost effective and easy solution.

So if anyone has used a WRX disc, let me know please
Otherwise, I'll try and bargin to borrow the st205 calipers off the seller and see what results I come up with.

The bolt hole spacing on the ST185/ST205 calipers is 5.25" / 133.4mm.
That gives us knowledge on the potential of aftermarket calipers that bolt up and will help people determine which brembo was used by Wolf_Tm250's friend.

PS - yes I have posted this on a couple of forums, diff people browse regularly on diff forums, so I'm just trying to spread my info gathering net :)

Wolf_Tm250

Wolf_Tm250":35w4w7jp said:

Sorry, my fault...
I phoned him today, adn I remembered wrong... he had bracket for them...

schmooot

SuperWhite92":shwg1ps1 said:
Do not clear 7th Gen Celica rims.

Not even close. To fit they'd need to have an extra 1/2" of spoke clearance around the caliper, and to have more room around the outside of the rim. Yes, you read that right, they hit both the spokes and the rim at the same time.

SSR Comps however, will work. There's about 1mm clearance on the center-most part of the spokes, but there's room everywhere else.

7th gen gts rims? or just standard 7th gen rims? the 7th gen gts rims are 16x6.5 ET38 btw

CMS-GT4

A member posted this in another section.
2 things could have made this kit better.
1) A ring to make the rotor hub centric.
2) A fixed nut on the inside to keep from having to split the calipers when disassembling.

Brendan":1n6wq46x said:
RE ST205 brakes

There is a guy here that makes a kit. I have one ready to fit onto my car. It uses 295mm Subaru front disks. You need to split the caliper to fit it, but the kit is basically a spacer behind the disc, and another spacer behind the inner brake pad to centralise them. the only other thing you will need is longer wheel studs. All the parts are laser cut and spot on. Kit cost me £100, add the calipers, discs, new pads, brake lines, I guess I've spent £350 total.

To fit the conversion it goes a little like this

Remove all the old components until you are left with this

st185hubreadytoacceptspacer.jpg

topviewofst185hubreadytoacceptspace.jpg

Remove a small section of the backplate to accomodate the larger st205 caliper

Before

st185backplatebeforemod.jpg

After

st185modifiedbackplate.jpg

And the tiny piece that needs to be removed

pieceoffthemodifiedst185backplate.jpg

After this fit the spacer onto the flange and bolt the inner section of the caliper into place

Spacerandfirsthalfofst205caliperinp.jpg

Then place the brake disc in position and bolt the outer section of the brake caliper up onto the inner section remember to place to 2 rubber seals in place :wink:

largerdiscandst205caliperonthefront.jpg

After this simply fit your pads and 1 more spacer

st205padsandpinsinplace.jpg