ST205 Front Brakes

CMS-GT4

Any specs Rip?

Wilwood referred me to colemanracing.com to look into custom rotors.

I can use a wilwood hat and use their rotors. The only downfall is they are not as cheap. I would pay around 134.25 for each rotor ring.

From my guestimation the rotor ring needs to be 307mm diameter and ~7" inner diameter to have full pad contact.

Edit: I just took out my wore down pads. It looks like the pad surface height is just over 2.25".

I bet if I did enough research I could find something off the shelf as well.

darthripley

^ damn, i'm sorry i totally forgot about measuring the brakes for you this weekend.

i'll get joe to help me do it tonite or tommorrow nite at the latest.
we only go outside to work on the cars at nite when it's "cooler" like 93* @ 8pm is better than 102-105* that it's been during the day lately.

CMS-GT4

So it looks like the surface area is just slightly larger than the pad area.

Now that gives me an idea of what is needed when looking at rotors from other cars, thanks.

I got to find measurements of svx rotors and that will be my sign if they will work or not.

Edit: I got front and rears in my head at the same time sorry.

I am trying to research rear disc replacements. I am wondering if we can either 1) make a wilwood replacement or 2) use the supra rear rotors.

If we could use a wilwood rotor then I would consider having the rears made into hats like GT4rcdude did.

If there is more room, a supra rear rotor might fit.

I was looking up specs of the rav4 rear brakes and they are 303mm and 1mm thinner than the 185 discs.

I am mostly researching my options for if and when I do the hub conversion because I will likely do the rears as well.

darthripley

i didn't even think of the rears for doing the RAV4 hub conversion duh! :doh:
the 205 rears work so well, i hope there is a 114.3 option for the rears that is as good & simple.

are the Supra rears a drum/disc combo like the Celica? Camry's/ES300s are also the same way & both are 5x114.3
another option could be IS300 ... i would say SC300 but those guys upgrade to the MKIV Supra brakes front + rear.

rusolinio

martinking6 a member on GT4OC.net, sells a conversion kit to allow you to fit 205 calipers using subaru 295mm disks. It consists of 2 sets of spacers. One that is the same shape as the pad and goes behind the pad closest to the car body. The other spacer is circular and has holes for 5x100 pcd fitment. This spacer goes behind the subaru disk onto the hub and VOILA, 205 brake setup on your 185.....

All he sells is just the spacers and some bolts for you to mount the calipers.

If anyones interested i can get in contact with him as im a member there myself.

CMS-GT4

He wants 100pounds plus post. That is about 165 usd.

I am going to look over my other options first.

klue

CMS-GT4":2hph03ck said:
He wants 100pounds plus post. That is about 165 usd.

I am going to look over my other options first.

im wating on my st205 brakes and then i will be making performance rotors from them. Give me a few months if there is enough inetrest i will produce more than my needs require

CMS-GT4

Well I guess keep us posted on prices. I am on the fence about if I will stick with these calipers or not .

deecee

just a note on the st205 rear brakes and people having issues with vibration without shim in place.

How about using any st20x front hub and putting it into the rear hub carrier. Uses the same bearing as the st185 and you just need a press to do the job.

Then no more vibration under braking without shim for st205 rear brakes.

klue

Ok, Time to look into rotors...
Can anyone help me draw up some dimensions,

What would the ideal rotor be? proper center bore, spacing from ball joint, alignment with the caliper, with or without a bracket

CMS-GT4

I have noted lots of dimensions of whats I think is very close, but it is all based on data I pulled from other's rotor fitment.

A 307mm x 32 mm disc is a good place to start for those who want the non bracket option.

klue

CMS-GT4":5flkndc6 said:
I have noted lots of dimensions of whats I think is very close, but it is all based on data I pulled from other's rotor fitment.

A 307mm x 32 mm disc is a good place to start for those who want the non bracket option.

yep I have taken some of my own measurements but id like to compare to others.

I have 306mm diameter, 32mm thickness, 54.1mm center bore

CMS-GT4

Offset will be your largest trick to making this work, plus I am pretty sure you need to grind a couple mm off the caliper ears first as well to help clear the ball joint.

klue

I can make a completly custom rotor so if i can solve all the issues with just the rotor that would be best

klue

or I guess we could work on making a bracket, im not good with auto cad so if someone could help that would be great.

I can get the bracket cut for sure wont be a problem.

CMS-GT4

I am not sure how many various options you want to make, but you can make a bracket that raises the caliper 1" exactly then use a 14" rotor.

Anything smaller will require you to offset the caliper from the spindle mounts and will require an odd shape that will likely have to be fitted with the rotors and measured before drawing up.

bozo-merlin

dura lex sed lex

with 205 caliper unmachined fit on the 185 hub you have 30mm width from the ball join to the pads (wheels side).

no 32mm rotor will be ok if you keep the caliper unmachined.