ST205 Front Brakes

darthripley

That setup reminds me of some 7th gen Celicas I have seen that have ST205 calipers installed where it gets relocated to the back side.

Has anyone ever fit the 7th Gen Celica TRD BBK to an Alltrac?
I don't know the specs on it or who actually made the kit as all TRD parts are always rebadged.

CMS-GT4

There used to be a kit for the y2k celica that was a set of rotors that let them use the 205 calipers as a direct bolt on.

I have considered trying to TRD kits but the main issue is the height of the rotor vs the height of the caliper when using a 185 spindle. They tend not to be cheap too, so you might as well buy a bolt on kit at those prices.

darthripley

oh i see. thanks for the clarification, was just curious.

those Scooby kits you posted look nice.
I probably would've went with something like that had I known about it.

What is the hub center bore on a Scooby vs. the ST185?

CMS-GT4

sti center bore: 58
205: 55
185: 54

Those 11.75" discs I posted use a hub ring so they are likely much larger than a standard sti center bore, which would allow us to have a ring made for our specs more easily.

abraxxa

Someone interesstend in my ST205 discs, front and rear?
After I've upgraded to the Endless discs they sit in the shelf.

CMS-GT4

I would almost take you up on it, but I am sure shipping to the states would be killer.

Any idea of what thcikness is still on the rotors? It would be good info for potential buyers. 30mm is the thinnest they can go on the fronts.

bozo-merlin

CMS-GT4":2ynujvy6 said:
Care to share details of how the caliper is mounted on a 330mm rotor?
The real secret is what rotor depth to use

As i find the "near to perfect" rotor for ST185 my braket is "near to simple"

This was my v1.0 braket, after some adjustment i am now v1.3, but give you an idea of what it looks
205Con185n330v10.jpg

I go on a track day May 24th, it will be a test day for this brake kit.

I already have 205 full size brake but have requiered too much machinework to be cheap, this time with unmodded caliper it's really less expensive and easy remplacement part too

CMS-GT4

I feel a group buy coming on! I think a lot of of us would be down for a bracket pending the cost.

phattyduck

CMS-GT4":eqddyppl said:
I was going off the specs claimed on the DBA website. Its in their product PDF.
http://www.dba.com.au/

I have been using it as my guide since I have been trying to find a solution for my 205 calipers etc..
I currently have a set of Chrysler 300C V8 front disks in my garage - 340mmx28mm... They neet to be redrilled for 5x100 and you can use a wheel hubcentric ring to center the disks perfectly (already done and tested for enough ball joint clearance). To fit my 17" RPF1's, I will probably have to reduce the diameter somewhat and use a slightly rotated bracket to fit everything there. The disks should have enough swept area to work with... I'll be doing a write-up when I get time to put it all together - hopefully in the next few weeks.

-Charlie

CMS-GT4

Here is some measurements I pulled from my sti rotors and the 205 rotors that one member modified. The measurements are close by 99%.

rotoroffsetconcept.jpg

I know the offset needs to be increased by 3-7mm for the disc to be close to center. I would rather have to use a 1-2mm spacer than have a rotor hat that is too shallow.

Wilwood offers a rotor hat offsets: 19.5mm, 20.5mm, and 21mm that should all be close enough for the specs.

They have an undrilled .77" offset hat. We need to know what diameter the rotor holes need to be because they offer them drilled in 5x3.93 as well. My own crude measurements of the sti holes show something in the 14mm/.55" range. The wheel studs are 12x1.5.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/003-Hat ... /index.asp

bozo-merlin

i won't go for such rotor depth if you don't plan to put a spacer between hub and rotor.

lower ball join will be to close !

i use my car for track day only and put "rotor to red" after 20 minutes of time attack on a technical track.

i suppose lower ball join won't accept temp during a hard moutain trip.

Keep 5-10mm between rotors and ball join = space from 4 to 9mm a STI rotor.

bozo-merlin

To be understanded

i don't use 205 full size rotor on the pics i show as a teaser but another 330mm x 32mm one, we can't keep the caliper unmodded with an 205 OEM rotor.

on my previous brake kit i use them but with a machine work caliper which is a pity to do and to do it again. They are fine but expensive in maintenance too.

klue

bozo-merlin":2h11yqdf said:
To be understanded

i don't use 205 full size rotor on the pics i show as a teaser but another 330mm x 32mm one, we can't keep the caliper unmodded with an 205 OEM rotor.

on my previous brake kit i use them but with a machine work caliper which is a pity to do and to do it again. They are fine but expensive in maintenance too.

thanks for the clarification.
The st205 brake rotor is hard to source here.

CMS-GT4

You done teasing us Merlin? We want to know what rotors you used? I would consider keeping my front 205 rotors for a solution like this.

bozo-merlin

I said it in another post i think

rotors are 330x32 from Alfa roméo

here in France i found them $160 brembo pair new and delivered

315mm 205 rotor are too small for an unmod caliper
326mm sti02-04 are a bit too small too and need spacer between hub and rotor itself.

it will be hard to show but with 330 rotor pads are just align to the OD of the rotor and caliper is 0.5mm from the HUB.

CMS-GT4

Thanks for the info. If I stick with my 185 hubs, I will look into getting a pair shipped over here.

CMS-GT4

I was looking at specs in the DBA rotors document and found some rotors to research for those who bolt the 205 calipers directly to the 185 spindle.

porsche 930 81-85: 304/57/32

svx: 301.1/57/28

EDIT: SVX is 5x114 bolt pattern.