polyurethane bushing drawbacks

Conrad_Turbo

Gary ST165":n9tai095 said:
I do NOT have a part number for the inside bush. Hence, little choice at i the moment. Either buy new arms from Toyota or suck it and see with a poly bush.

So does anyone have this PN that would work? I just did the 4 spherical bearings on my 185 this weekend for both rear hub assemblies. While doing the change I noticed some deflection on the inside spherical bearing on the rear suspension arm no. 1...so the looseness in the rear was definately from the varying toe in/out while driving due to these spherical bearing. So is there a Toyota part number to replace the no. 1 and no. 2 inside spherical bearing? Or is this still unknown and the only alternative is buying the entire arm or going with aftermarket poly?

RedCelicaTRD

The st205 uses part number 48725-20500 on arm number one. I have no idea if this would work and it doesn't look like the part number comes up in US systems. Perhaps someone who can get them could order them up and take some measurements.

Meurz

best ask Rene (Meurz) for his feedback.

In short:

The C-One Sport diff. cushion solved my clunking noises. It's a bad ass fat mothereffer! 8)

c-onediffmount2.jpg

mike325ci

Gary, I think I'm also going to go and do your "combo" approach of combining poly with new OEM rubber so that things aren't too harsh. I really don't know what else you drive/have driven, but I know everyone has a different definition/sense of what is "harsh"/"noisy"/"stiff" in their car. It also depends on what kind of car it is. Taking a sporty car and making it stiffer/harsher is not a big deal, taking a luxury/comfy car and doing the same will make it feel a lot more dramatic... I think the Celica falls somewhere in between, so I'm thinking a combo will work best for this car. If it's too soft for me still, then I know I can just go full poly-- if it's stoo stiff, I can just go full OEM rubber. I'll just have to see, I guess...

But thanks for your input and all the lovely photos.

Gary ST165

RedCelicaTRD":1dczg6en said:
The st205 uses part number 48725-20500 on arm number one. I have no idea if this would work and it doesn't look like the part number comes up in US systems. Perhaps someone who can get them could order them up and take some measurements.

recieved some pics via email from Jussi in Finland:

haven't bought these bushes yet or measured up...hope to find a local ST205 soon to take some measurements for intended ST165 and ST185 application.

GT4RC

Just out of curiosity, how many shop hours would one be looking at to have the diff mount and bushings done?

bridge47

Way back when, someone had a Camry part # for the spherical bearings. Maybe the "old post hounds" can find it. Seems the board had a black format then.

Gary ST165

bridge47":2jzxkmkf said:
Way back when, someone had a Camry part # for the spherical bearings. Maybe the "old post hounds" can find it. Seems the board had a black format then.

to which spherical bearings are u refering, where do they fit?

bridge47

I'm talking about the outboard bushings on arms 1 & 2 where they bolt up to the knuckle. Is the part# for these the one in your pictures of four OE bushings?

I'm sure its been talked about but make sure when using any type of bushing that you tighten bolts with the car on the ground or that
suspension is not relaxed. Otherwise bushings will fail in short order. Mine's a ST185. I've had the Whiteline bushings, no problems as of yet. Does anyone have a pic of a shot poly bush?

Sorry I got mixed up. I believe its the inner ones on arm 1&2 that have Camry part#.

Gary ST165

bridge47":bq80492x said:
Sorry I got mixed up. I believe its the inner ones on arm 1&2 that have Camry part#.

now this is very interesting... i need to replace rear control arm (inner bushings)

please please please !!!! any more info regarding the Camry part# or thread link 8)

not12listen

i have to pipe up on this one.

i HATE polyurethane bushings, for personal and technical reasons.

i've heard it from a few people that SWEAR TO HIGH HEAVEN by them, that they do NOT harm the chassis at all.

if an insulator is designed to absorb vibration and noise, and it is replaced with an insulator that does not absorb noise or vibration, where does the 'left over' energy from the road vibration go? directly to the chassis.

my wife experienced it on her 1988 SC MR2 - she had polyurethane bushings, and over time on less than ideal roads, nuts and bolts would rattle so much that they'd fall off.

i replaced my worn out OEM bushings with the TRD bushings... amazingly, even MORE road noise was removed (yes, my OEM bushings were THAT worn out), and the handling was improved tremendously. the ride was noticeably firmer and stiffer, but not jarring or painful like polyurethane.

the sheer amount of 'unforgiveness' of polyurethane is terrible on chassis.

its boils down to a very simple end.

polyurethane for racing vehicles that DO have a disposable chassis.
OEM or similar daily driven vehicles that do NOT have disposable chassis.

DipStick

Are these spherical bearings also available for the ST-185 without having to buy a new knuckle? Are they the same P/N?

bridge47

not12listen

I can see your point about energy being transferred to the chassis more with poly bushings, however...

1. I can see this being a real issue on cars with aluminum bushings and heim jointed front ends.

2. Put most cars on a lift and using a pry bar(read 5ft min.) try moving the lower control arm fore and aft. The play you'll see is what happens during hard cornering. My ST185 bushings had alot of play(85K miles). Even Car and Driver thought the originals were soft enough to tell the factory reps they needed revision.

3. Poly bushings have had no detrimental effect on my car. Its slightly harsher on "botts dots" and square edges. Where I live it is a good tradeoff b/c roads are pretty good. My rule of thumb is: as long as the steering wheel and shifter doesn't buzz everything is cool.

4. No one has shown a pic of a properly tightened poly bushing that is shot. I'd be interested to know which bolts/nuts came loose or fell off your wife's car.

5. Be aware of your environment. Cold weather and high air pollution are hard on rubber parts(bushings, CV joints, timing belts etc.) Not everyone will have the same story.

Conrad_Turbo

SA-65.jpg

Anyone come up with the PN for the spherical bearing for the chassis connection for Rear Suspension Arm No. 1 or No. 2? I know I need to replace No. 1...