polyurethane bushing drawbacks

Suspension and other discussion

Postby camry90 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:43 am

How did you remove the bushings from the subframe? press it out?
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
camry90
Club Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:58 am

I used a big screw driver and a mini sledge. They came out fine.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
2017 SRT Challenger Hellcat
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby Gary ST165 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:30 am

we used a press to push out the subframe bushings:

i have also seen them removed by burning away or pushing out the rubber, and then hammering out the bush casing.

bozo-merlin did similar on his "la grosse" project:

ST165 turbo 4WD
ST185 GT-FOUR RC Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 825•5000
ST185 turbo 4WD Carlos Sainz Limited Edition 2541•5000

Gary ST165
Established Member

Postby lumbercis » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:18 pm

Awesome pics Gary! Would make a good how-to sticky.

Couple questions:

1. Okay, sorry for the newbness, but what exactly is a "press?" Is it just the metal sleeve in the pics above? Do you just pound on it to force the bushing out? Or is it some type of machine that presses the bushing out?

2. How do you feel about the poly bushings for the diff carrier that come with mario's kit? Im leaning more towards going all-OEM and relying on my coilovers and swaybar to do the stiffening up, esp since I will be a rank beginner on the road course (once I actually get out onto one). :D My choices are between 1) Going with the C-One diff mount and OEM carrier bushings, or 2) getting Mario's kit. Whats your opinion between the two?

J.
lumbercis
Gold Member

Postby Gary ST165 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:46 pm

lumbercis wrote:what exactly is a "press?" Is it just the metal sleeve in the pics above? Do you just pound on it to force the bushing out? Or is it some type of machine that presses the bushing out?

we used a modified hydraulic ram. also good for pressing out wheel bearings:

lumbercis wrote:2. How do you feel about the poly bushings for the diff carrier that come with mario's kit? Im leaning more towards going all-OEM and relying on my coilovers and swaybar to do the stiffening up, esp since I will be a rank beginner on the road course (once I actually get out onto one). :D My choices are between 1) Going with the C-One diff mount and OEM carrier bushings, or 2) getting Mario's kit. Whats your opinion between the two?

I'm using a combination of marios nylon diff carrier mounts and an OEM rubber toyota diff mount.

I used just 2 of marios bushes because i got them cheap and delivered fast from a guy in the UK who never used them when he replaced his diff mount. The Toyota bushings would have been on 2 week back order from Belgium. I didn't have the option to wait that long.
The solid bushings seem fine when used with the new OEM bushes throughout the remainder of the rear sub-frame. I certainly have not noticed any additional noise or vibration increase as a result of fitting 2 nylon bushes. In fact the previous clunking noises have disappeared :lol:

My only criticism is that the inserts were manufactured of mild steel > think rust :? Best ask mario if he has revised the inserts supplied.

I really like the feel and design of new Toyota rubber bushings. If you can afford them, then i would not hesitate to advise replacing them for fast road use. It makes the car feel like the day when it left the factory:- no more "4 wheel steer" type scary moments.

For road use, I think the key to avoiding unwanted vibration in to the cabin, is to retain the 4 main rubber sub-frame bushings.
If you were to fit solid mounts then i think it would ruin the pleasure of fast road driving.

Restoring the rear sub-frame will further highlight any failings of an old cars suspension. I went the hole hog and also fitted DMS coil overs and 450 lb-in springs. Result superb dampening, adequate travel to prevent coil bound, and acceptable body roll using stock sway bars). A complete transformation from a very tired 17 year old to a new car feel. grip is now my best friend.

From my experience you cant go wrong if using new Toyota parts. good for another 10 years road use. However the cost of buying and fitting OEM parts for a 17 year old sports car is never going to be cheap.

I have also driven a friends high horse power 185 with a solid diff mount "temp fix" but with factory rubber diff carrier bushings.
The welded up diff mount was "fixed" as in successfully repaired. no additional vibrations. To date the repair has withstood over 300 ft lbs torque atw for 10,000 miles.

I have no comment regarding using a solid rear diff carrier AND a solid aluminum mount, having never experienced that combination.

The C-one diff mount also looks to be up to the job. best ask Rene (Meurz) for his feedback.

hth 8)
ST165 turbo 4WD

Gary ST165
Established Member

Postby Conrad_Turbo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:34 pm

Gary ST165 wrote:I do NOT have a part number for the inside bush. Hence, little choice at i the moment. Either buy new arms from Toyota or suck it and see with a poly bush.

So does anyone have this PN that would work? I just did the 4 spherical bearings on my 185 this weekend for both rear hub assemblies. While doing the change I noticed some deflection on the inside spherical bearing on the rear suspension arm no. 1...so the looseness in the rear was definately from the varying toe in/out while driving due to these spherical bearing. So is there a Toyota part number to replace the no. 1 and no. 2 inside spherical bearing? Or is this still unknown and the only alternative is buying the entire arm or going with aftermarket poly?
Conrad Andres
Mint Design
mint-design.ca
Conrad_Turbo
Club Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:29 am

The st205 uses part number 48725-20500 on arm number one. I have no idea if this would work and it doesn't look like the part number comes up in US systems. Perhaps someone who can get them could order them up and take some measurements.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby Meurz » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:55 pm

best ask Rene (Meurz) for his feedback.

In short:

The C-One Sport diff. cushion solved my clunking noises. It's a bad ass fat mothereffer! 8)

Turbocelica.nl
Meurz
Established Member

Postby Gary ST165 » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:49 pm

RedCelicaTRD wrote:The st205 uses part number 48725-20500 on arm number one.

thanks for that. i will make some enquiries.
ST165 turbo 4WD

Gary ST165
Established Member

Postby mike325ci » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Gary, I think I'm also going to go and do your "combo" approach of combining poly with new OEM rubber so that things aren't too harsh. I really don't know what else you drive/have driven, but I know everyone has a different definition/sense of what is "harsh"/"noisy"/"stiff" in their car. It also depends on what kind of car it is. Taking a sporty car and making it stiffer/harsher is not a big deal, taking a luxury/comfy car and doing the same will make it feel a lot more dramatic... I think the Celica falls somewhere in between, so I'm thinking a combo will work best for this car. If it's too soft for me still, then I know I can just go full poly-- if it's stoo stiff, I can just go full OEM rubber. I'll just have to see, I guess...

But thanks for your input and all the lovely photos.
NYC, NY, USA
Teal '92 ST185 (Current), Black '88 ST165 (Sold)
Founder, Kabiela - DIY & Enthusiast Marketplace (diybuysell.com)
mike325ci
Gold Member

Postby Gary ST165 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:36 pm

RedCelicaTRD wrote:The st205 uses part number 48725-20500 on arm number one. I have no idea if this would work and it doesn't look like the part number comes up in US systems. Perhaps someone who can get them could order them up and take some measurements.

recieved some pics via email from Jussi in Finland:

haven't bought these bushes yet or measured up...hope to find a local ST205 soon to take some measurements for intended ST165 and ST185 application.
ST165 turbo 4WD

Gary ST165
Established Member

Postby RedCelicaTRD » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Good to see that part number is helping out a bit. I'm sure you'll keep us updated.
Wayne
1990 All Trac
Grumpy Moderator
RedCelicaTRD
GTFour God

Postby Rick89GTS » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:18 pm

Great thread with lots of useful info and pics.
Rick89GTS
GTFour God

Postby GT4RC » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:27 pm

Just out of curiosity, how many shop hours would one be looking at to have the diff mount and bushings done?
GT4RC
Established Member

Postby bridge47 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:24 am

Way back when, someone had a Camry part # for the spherical bearings. Maybe the "old post hounds" can find it. Seems the board had a black format then.
bridge47
Club Member

PreviousNext

Return to Handling and Braking