stock struts on lower st185

903SGTE

has anyone lowerd a st185 using new toyota struts?whats the outcome?is it worth it.i dont want the car to ride rough, just handle a little better and have the lowered look.

935motorsports

A friend of mine lowered his ST165 with new Toyota struts/shocks and Intrax springs. The ride was surprisingly firm and predictable. In fact, I didn't know that they were stock struts until I asked why the ride was so nice.

I suspect that in hard handling, they would not perform as well. But in a 100 mile drive with 3 people in the car and lowered, it felt great.

silverarrow

I'd rather have the kyb gr-2s with lowering springs. Have them on my 240sx and it feels great through turns or cruises. Although going through turns can be improved with better suspension upgrades.

903SGTE

has anyone tried using gt-s rear struts in the all trac?aftermarket companies sell complete rear strut ass, for the gts just wondering if i could use those.ex.(monroe,gabriel...).

935motorsports

You could actually put GTS rear shocks in and it would work aside from some bracket issues. If you had blown rears you would probably be reasonably pleased if you drove like a Grandma. However, you'd be better off at the least to try and get a deal on some OEM units. I was surprised that the OEM units are pretty beefy. The shaft is much thicker then the usual Toyota shock.

MARLON1211

Thats almost the same set up i would like to do. Use a new Toyota strut, and I'll buy a Whiteline springs, i think that should do the work. Don't wanna spend thousands of money for a suspension upgrade to just use it daily and not go for more agressive driving.
marlonSt185..

903SGTE

yup,sounds like what im looking for. i use this car as a dialy driver but my stock struts are blown.i just wanted to lower it without making it ride to hard.i thought maybe i could get away with gts struts because no one makes the rear for our cars.the toyota st185 rears are $140,i thought i could find someone that made the rear gts for less then that. :cry:

MARLON1211

Thats not really bad for that price. Remember it lasted that long so you know once you slap that OEM struts it will lastyou another 10yrs. Thats why am looking for a OEM set-up due to the durability, and long lasting. Performance yes thats good, but havent really heard of TEINS, Whiteline kit, TRD"S, JIC"S, set up that lasteed over 10yrs. Well it always depends on the person for what set-up they want for their cars.

silverarrow

The oem struts won't last too long with lowering springs themselves. I'm sure give it 5+ yrs and the oem may go out too.

RIalltrac

The oem struts won't last too long with lowering springs themselves. I'm sure give it 5+ yrs and the oem may go out too.

thats what i was thinking, wouldnt it be damaging to the overall design if your not using them exactly how they were meant to be used? I would imagine that the stress on an oem unit would be at a different point if you werent using stock springs. If you want a lowered car do it right, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

MARLON1211

Is there anyone has the same set-up w/ OEM struts and lowering springs.
I was looking at Tokico, and Eibach nothing for a 90 Alltracs.

935motorsports

I have seen some using. They are too weak for the all trac and cause an extreme lowering.

I'd suggest B+G which are made in a similar fashion to Eibach but with a better spring rate.

903SGTE

how much do they lower the all trac and how hard of a ride are they?ive had eibach in my 88 gts and was happy with the ride quality.just want to make sure its not a harsh ride??anyone else have any lower spring suggestions??

RIalltrac

If I remember correctly ground control uses eibach springs, they can custom wind them for you depending on what rates/drop you want. Probably your best option if your looking to have a certain type of ride. I remember someone saying that you can actually call them up and run through want you want in your spring and they can suggest the proper rates and go from there.

MARLON1211

hows Ground control really i've been hearing about them, and i would like to just do a mild upgrade like that. Anybody did the same. I thought about that using a new OEM with GControl Coilover springs. Anyone?