[HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

tw2

No problem. There are not many bolt on upgrades for our car or at least not for a reasonable price so these sorts of projects are great. Much more exciting than simply bolting some coilovers on.

johndgt4

You guys should check out the MR2 inserts from Gaz in the UK. Very nicely made units. Very similar to Koni in that they are rebound adjustable only and IIRC will custom set the compression damping to your specified spring rate.

They used to be about £85 UKP per unit so very reasonable.

I was going to upgrade my AGX conversion, on my old 185, with them but ended up selling them on and now I have Bilsteins on my 205 with 14kg/mm f 7 kg/mm r springs which surprisingly (or not as Swift springs with Bilstein dampers) absorb ruts/potholes no problem!

John

pmr2

lucky for you guys i own an sw20 with agx struts all around. i can tell you it is a stiff ride but i like it. i also own a ra65 and i know those guys use the mr2 agx REAR inserts for their FRONT coilover conversions. the idea behind it is the mr2 is a mid engine making those sturts valved for engine weight plus the frame body panels ect. so put them where the engine is. Also it would almost make sense to me to use the mr2 rears for the front of a st165. same engine, nearly the same trans, probably close to the same front clip weight. now for the REAR of the st165 using the sw20 FRONT agx makes sense. imo the sw20 agx is a little on the stiff side so it should ride ok on 1 and take the weight of the st165 alright. im sure the rear of an st165 is more than an sw20, but imo shouldnt mess with the valving too much. of course this is assuming the sw20 rear inserts would fit. i might go grab my old sw20 rear inserts and throw some measurements up for you guys if i can find the time.

88gt4DE

Killtodie":g51ofcoe said:
Any reason why 4 fronts are used, and not 4 rear, as the rear struts would be more applicable from an MR2

Not sure ... I used the same in the rear cause I had an extra set and figured if I didn't like it I would change it. and I actually Love the look and the ride. Its perfect ...

Killtodie

Hmm, because the front of an MR2 is lighter than the rear of the All-Trac. I figure the extra weight upfront (the huge trans) and the extra weight in the rear (rear diff) would be better off using rear MR2 struts all around.

tw2

The reason was that there was confusion whether the rears actually could be used. There was talk that they might not be replaceable inserts and no one wanted to order a set to see (I presume this has been proven now). The other reason was that the inserts were generally considered very harsh for the mr2 so they were expected to be much harsher than stock but liveable for daily driving on the alltrac which I think they definitely were. I never had the mr2 rears to compare to but I would definitely do it all again, they were prefect in my opinion.

Killtodie

What do you mean by "not be replaceable inserts"?
I believe the rears are shorter though. but not finding any info on that.

tw2

Killtodie":tnrnuasy said:
What do you mean by "not be replaceable inserts"?
I believe the rears are shorter though. but not finding any info on that.
As in not inserts, full replacement struts instead, like the stock rears of the alltrac. Also as you say, I thought they were too short to be used.

Killtodie

Pictures of the rear appear to be inserts. In the same pic they appear to be shorter as well.
I do not see anything but inserts for the rear.

I'll email KYB and get info from them on length and dampening resistance

Killtodie

Reply from KYB

765015 Front
20.35” extended
14.02” compressed
13.3” body length
145/70 Setting 2 @ .3 m/s

765016 Rear
21.73” extended
14.92” compressed
14.17” body length
240/90

The rears are actually a bit longer than the fronts. I also dont understand where folks think the rears were full struts with spring seats, they are obviously inserts.

Info on regular Celica (non All-Trac) front inserts

365064 Front
19.57" extended
13.66" compressed
13.27" body length
120/30 @ .3

MWP

Killtodie":3dswiqg3 said:
I also dont understand where folks think the rears were full struts with spring seats, they are obviously inserts.

My KYB Excel-G's are full struts at the back.

Inserts at the rear are harder to install due to the tiny gland nut, you cant install an insert through it.

I know Koni get around this problem by using a bolt-through type insert.
Ie, you cut off the top of the strut, and the insert is bolted in through a hole you drill in the bottom.

Killtodie

bump, I'm finally getting around to do this.

Would like to know if anyone has ever used MR2 rears all around, or flipped them. MR2 rear in front, and fronts in the rear.

MWP

Killtodie":5hu1uzyc said:
MWP":5hu1uzyc said:
Inserts at the rear are harder to install due to the tiny gland nut, you cant install an insert through it
Can you clarify on this?

To put inserts in the rear you have to cut about 2" off the top of the rear strut tube, and weld on the top 2" from a front strut tube.

Killtodie

MWP":3n0o2t1i said:
Killtodie":3n0o2t1i said:
MWP":3n0o2t1i said:
Inserts at the rear are harder to install due to the tiny gland nut, you cant install an insert through it
Can you clarify on this?

To put inserts in the rear you have to cut about 2" off the top of the rear strut tube, and weld on the top 2" from a front strut tube.
Yes, that's the plan. I picked up a blown set of struts to do this with.

Still would like to know why folks are using mr2 fronts

Killtodie

Ordered MR2 fronts to be used in the rear, friend is going to assemble and weld them for me. Going to go with lowering springs. Should have them done next weekend hopefully.
I'll post updates, and pics

Killtodie

Update:

4edH5hf.jpg

IPOTFRh.jpg

fCgXfqX.jpg

Before welding.

I dont know what OP means where when he said not to order the MR2 rears for the front because something about the gland nut, I called KYB and verified with them that the gland nut is identical between 765015 and 16. So the MR2 rears will fit the front.

I still need to order them, currently using MR2 fronts for the rears. Will update as I go along.