Page 4 of 5

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:30 pm
by 88gt4DE
Killtodie wrote:Any reason why 4 fronts are used, and not 4 rear, as the rear struts would be more applicable from an MR2


Not sure ... I used the same in the rear cause I had an extra set and figured if I didn't like it I would change it. and I actually Love the look and the ride. Its perfect ...

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:39 am
by Killtodie
Hmm, because the front of an MR2 is lighter than the rear of the All-Trac. I figure the extra weight upfront (the huge trans) and the extra weight in the rear (rear diff) would be better off using rear MR2 struts all around.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:11 am
by tw2
The reason was that there was confusion whether the rears actually could be used. There was talk that they might not be replaceable inserts and no one wanted to order a set to see (I presume this has been proven now). The other reason was that the inserts were generally considered very harsh for the mr2 so they were expected to be much harsher than stock but liveable for daily driving on the alltrac which I think they definitely were. I never had the mr2 rears to compare to but I would definitely do it all again, they were prefect in my opinion.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:03 pm
by Killtodie
What do you mean by "not be replaceable inserts"?
I believe the rears are shorter though. but not finding any info on that.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:30 am
by tw2
Killtodie wrote:What do you mean by "not be replaceable inserts"?
I believe the rears are shorter though. but not finding any info on that.

As in not inserts, full replacement struts instead, like the stock rears of the alltrac. Also as you say, I thought they were too short to be used.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:16 am
by Killtodie
Pictures of the rear appear to be inserts. In the same pic they appear to be shorter as well.
I do not see anything but inserts for the rear.


I'll email KYB and get info from them on length and dampening resistance

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:35 pm
by Killtodie
Reply from KYB

765015 Front
20.35” extended
14.02” compressed
13.3” body length
145/70 Setting 2 @ .3 m/s

765016 Rear
21.73” extended
14.92” compressed
14.17” body length
240/90


The rears are actually a bit longer than the fronts. I also dont understand where folks think the rears were full struts with spring seats, they are obviously inserts.

Info on regular Celica (non All-Trac) front inserts

365064 Front
19.57" extended
13.66" compressed
13.27" body length
120/30 @ .3

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:22 am
by MWP
Killtodie wrote: I also dont understand where folks think the rears were full struts with spring seats, they are obviously inserts.


My KYB Excel-G's are full struts at the back.

Inserts at the rear are harder to install due to the tiny gland nut, you cant install an insert through it.

I know Koni get around this problem by using a bolt-through type insert.
Ie, you cut off the top of the strut, and the insert is bolted in through a hole you drill in the bottom.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:51 pm
by Killtodie
MWP wrote:Inserts at the rear are harder to install due to the tiny gland nut, you cant install an insert through it


Can you clarify on this?

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:08 pm
by Killtodie
bump, I'm finally getting around to do this.

Would like to know if anyone has ever used MR2 rears all around, or flipped them. MR2 rear in front, and fronts in the rear.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:47 am
by MWP
Killtodie wrote:
MWP wrote:Inserts at the rear are harder to install due to the tiny gland nut, you cant install an insert through it

Can you clarify on this?


To put inserts in the rear you have to cut about 2" off the top of the rear strut tube, and weld on the top 2" from a front strut tube.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:54 pm
by Killtodie
MWP wrote:
Killtodie wrote:
MWP wrote:Inserts at the rear are harder to install due to the tiny gland nut, you cant install an insert through it

Can you clarify on this?


To put inserts in the rear you have to cut about 2" off the top of the rear strut tube, and weld on the top 2" from a front strut tube.

Yes, that's the plan. I picked up a blown set of struts to do this with.

Still would like to know why folks are using mr2 fronts

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 pm
by Killtodie
Ordered MR2 fronts to be used in the rear, friend is going to assemble and weld them for me. Going to go with lowering springs. Should have them done next weekend hopefully.
I'll post updates, and pics

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:11 pm
by Killtodie
Update:

Image
Image
Image

Before welding.

I dont know what OP means where when he said not to order the MR2 rears for the front because something about the gland nut, I called KYB and verified with them that the gland nut is identical between 765015 and 16. So the MR2 rears will fit the front.

I still need to order them, currently using MR2 fronts for the rears. Will update as I go along.

Re: [HOW TO] remove struts, AGX mr2, rear strut conversion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:48 am
by 88gt4DE
Sweeeeet Almost there :smokes: