The ST165 wheel size thread (offsets, widths, etc)

drewtcook

so this might be a nooby question, but it seems everyone runs the same sized wheels all around but get spacers to make them fit flush in the rear. Would it be ok to run a higher offset of the rear wheels if they were the same size. IE 16x7 +35 in the front and 16x7 +20 in the rear to keep them flush.

UtahSleeper

Do the front tires wear differently then the rear? Just curious as I would figure AWD would wear evenly, so just swapping the rears from left to right would be fine.

underscore

If they're directional (most good tires are iirc) you'll have to unmount them to move them left to right anyways. Depending on your driving style I would imagine front to rear wear could be different.

BlackDragon

I'm looking to run enkei classic compe's in 16x8 +25 offset. Tire rack says they fit, but only with a 205/50r16 tire. Is that really all you can fit? I'm going to be installing coilovers at the same time, just crazy to think that's all you can stuff under there

88st165

BlackDragon":38kfs327 said:
I'm looking to run enkei classic compe's in 16x8 +25 offset. Tire rack says they fit, but only with a 205/50r16 tire. Is that really all you can fit? I'm going to be installing coilovers at the same time, just crazy to think that's all you can stuff under there

They fit. I run them with 225/45/16 star specs. No spacers.

IMG_2297.jpg

Awesome-Trac

88st165":8e6zdneu said:
BlackDragon":8e6zdneu said:

They fit. I run them with 225/45/16 star specs. No spacers.

IMG_2297.jpg

Damn the wheels I wanted so bad but I have a BBK setup so 16" wouldn't work anymore

88st165

Awesome-Trac":18m3t4z6 said:
Damn the wheels I wanted so bad but I have a BBK setup so 16" wouldn't work anymore

Yea that is the reason I have not gotten a BBK yet is because I like to run 15's because track tires are more affordable in those sizes. Stock brakes are pretty undersized for the track but not the worst I've experienced believe it or not. I'm going to try and experiment with cooling ducts and upgrade to 185 brakes first before considering a BBK.

88st165

BlackDragon":2zq7no43 said:
That is awesome, wish they had a better tire selection in that size. They only make track tires it seems

Yea 16's seem to be dying off. 15's and 17's have so many more choices. I personally think that 16's are perfect size on the 165 chassis but that is just my taste. Who knows though, maybe I wont be able to get that tire size in the future so I'll be forced to go to 17's haha.

zaluss

Vxvdy05l.jpg

Antera Type 109's. I think they wrapped with Federal 205/55/16. 16x7.5 I'll have to double check.

They are so ugly that they are amazing. Need to lower the coils a bit.

Awesome-Trac

The wheel progress!!! I started from 15 inch 1990 GTS wheels,16 inch 2000 GTS wheels 17x8 Work Emotions CR Kai and 18x8 SSR GT-2

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    708.6 KB · Views: 3,127
Does anyone lift their 165? That's what I have done. Wondering about a good gravel/dirt road tire that can be driven every day. I plan on using 15 inch wheels.

mpg

Hi,
I'm getting some new tires for my old 88 St 165 and Tire Rack said 215-60-14 will fit. The wheels are the stock 14X6 that came on the car.
The car has stock suspension aside from poly bushings for the sway bars and end links so the ride height is stock.
Can someone please tell me if i'll need wheel spacers and if so, what size and where can I get them and do I need 2 or 4 (for all 4 wheels)?
My concern is for the back tires, as there seems to very little clearance between the tires and bottom of the strut towers.
Hoping to get it done this week and then to Hagerstown this weekend.
Thanks.

underscore

215/60 is obviously 10mm wider overall, so 5mm further out on each side that way. The diameter is 12mm bigger, so 6mm closer to things up top. Different tires will have different profiles so there may be some variance to those numbers. See if you think that would fit within the clearance you have, a 5mm spacer would keep the inside wall of the tire in the same place but then you'll have the outside wall moving the full 10mm.

Datturboz17

Hey all newbie here. I love the classic oz rally for my 165 but dang 300 a wheel tried doing a search for some knockoffs...did find something called the sparco terra. Has anyone tried these before if so what size would you reccomend. Sitting on all stock stuff right now but do have a shorter set of springs.