How are B&G springs, KYB struts?

Larry Klassen

I'm looking at improving the ride of my car, and was wondering if anyone has experience or knows about these springs. They are B&G and make a 1.4" drop (is that alot? I don't want too much) and the stock number is 921035 - getting them for $310 CDN (about $240 US or so) for all four. Will this stiffen up my '91 alltrac a bit? I don't need it really hard, just would like it a little tighter.

Also looking at KYB struts, stock number GRZ K365075 - $88.30 each (CDN, so about $75 US).

One other option is Koni Adjustable, stock number 8641 1211 Sport - These are $225 each ($185US), but do I need this much? I'm not racing the car, just looking to make it feel better in the corners on the highway, that sort of thing. Any thoughts? Thanks.

RedCelicaTRD

Talk to Rob about the B+G Springs, he needs someone to do a review and I think he said hed give a discount. You would be much happier with the Koni adjustables.

Larry Klassen

how do I get hold of Rob?

How will the Koni's be better than the KYB's? I'm not doubting it, I just need to make an informed decision. It's a difference of almost $600 CDN, which I could use to increase HP (a downpipe, or other stuff), so I really need to be careful where to get the most bang for my buck.

Thanks again.

TraviST185

Koni's have 5-way adjustable damping. They are custom valved from whiteline to the all-trac application. The konis are the best, but more expensive strut replacement for the alltrac. I have a set of Konis that I am not going to use from my whiteline Works kit. Like you said these usually go for about $185 a strut times 4 struts and you would be looking at $740. I need to get rid of these so you could have them for $500. I think that these would go perfect with the BG springs. I have heard that the whiteline springs are a little soft, so the BG-Koni package would be optimal. I know that is what I would be doing if I didnt get coil-overs.

killer_siller

i just ordered the B+G springs and kyb agx struts for my st165. if you are willing to wait a few weeks i can tell you how i like them once i have them on.

in all the research i did that was the best bang for the buck. their not the best; but they did turn up some awesome reviews.

alltrac.net

One thing I noticed is that the ST185 KYB GR-2 are MUCH stronger then the ST165 GR-2. The "by hand" compression check shows much more force on the ST185 unit. It would be a worthwhile mod to put the ST185 GR-2s in the ST165. The ST185 version is a bit shorter, so you would need a spacer in the strut housing at the bottom to make it come back to original height.

mtbgael

can't the shorter strut rod length be an advantage when lowering a car? Not based on any theory I can come up with offhand, unless the lowering spring is shorter itself. It's just something I've heard along the way.

gtfour77

Is the housing shorter or just the rod? If the housing is shorter then you would have to shorten the strut housing.....or use a lot of washers...just my 2 cents...

Larry Klassen

Can the B&G springs be used with factory struts? The part number for the B&G's is 921035, the guy at the aftermarket place (Partsource in Canada) told me this would produce a 1.4" drop - is that right? That's quite a bit, isn't it? Can I still use 2000GTS factory rims and tires if the car drops that much? My car is a '91 ST185.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.