Brake Pads?

trd-at

What brake pads are people running? I was looking in to the EBC red stuff pads, any words on those? pics of brake setups?

CMS-GT4

Looks like Hawk is offering alltrac pads now. I have been happy with them on my Z. I use porterfields on the alltrac.

madman

I am happy with my Porterfield R4S pads, but they do dust a lot, well at least more than the stock pads did.

trd-at

my car doesnt stop very well at all, i need this to improve so i was just curious, without spending the money for a big brake upgrade, what are my options?

TimmyD

madman":hl3nrahp said:
I am happy with my Porterfield R4S pads, but they do dust a lot, well at least more than the stock pads did.

I've got these too and they're holding up well to daily driving and track time. The only time they were noisy was after some stops at the track that caused some smoke and they glazed a bit, wore off fast and have been quiet ever since. They always stop great.

RafaCalde

EBC green stuff. they work really well for me. low dust unless you're like me and don't clean your rims that often. i'm thinking of going to yellow stuff.

trd-at

isnt the yellow their race line? i have heard stories that a race pad like that used on the street will wear your rotors real fast due to their compound structure. Also, race pads need to heat up to work at their best efficiency, the compound is very hard and you will not see any benefits on the street really, but if you're a weekend warrior then you'll def see the benefits there. Very loud as well, but this is only for race pads so. . .

RafaCalde

red stuff pads are the race pads. yellow stuff is still suitable for the street. they might make more noise but i don't mind that much and i use brembo rotors. they last quite a bit longer than the duralast ones from autozone.

trd-at

I went to the EBC website to learn more. The red stuff is their street pad but offers a more aggressive compound than the green and is more suited for weekend track days. The yellow stuff is their race pad, but the cool thing about this on is that they claim that the pad does need to be warmed up to gain the full benefits but does work better when fully heated. They offer two different compounds as well, one more suited for race applications. I think i'll give them a try.

Simba

I use EBC pads on virtually everything I own. The greenstuff are good pads, but not really suited to a performance car. I use the redstuff pads on everything that does regular street duty, and had the new compound yellowstuff pads on my AT before going to a BBK.

So far as an "all around" pad that you can live with on the street and beat on on the track, nobody does it as good as EBC in my experience. There are better track pads, all of which are horrible on the street, and there are (arguably) better street pads, all of which are horrible for any kind of spirited driving.

Regarding the yellowstuff pads-- you don't need to warm them up for an acceptable level of braking, but it sure helps. They get much, much better once up to temp.

trd-at

hey thatks a lot for the input, seems like you've tried them all. It seems like ebc has really covered all their bases with their pads.

RafaCalde

yeah sorry guys i was wrong about the info i put. my bads. please don't kick me off the forum. :cry: i'm gonna use the redstuff.

concealer404

I use Yellowstuffs on my ST184.

It's horrific overkill, but they're amazing pads. Just got to pay attention when you first start driving, especially on really cold days.

2400lb car + brembo blanks + yellowstuffs + dot4 fluid + stainless braided lines = who needs a bbk?

CMS-GT4

concealer404":1ore5bed said:

It's horrific overkill, but they're amazing pads. Just got to pay attention when you first start driving, especially on really cold days.

2400lb car + brembo blanks + yellowstuffs + dot4 fluid + stainless braided lines = who needs a bbk?

Those of us with 3200lb cars! :wink:

concealer404

CMS-GT4":3ywb59fx said:
concealer404":3ywb59fx said:

Those of us with 3200lb cars! :wink:

Hahaha.... touche Josh. :)

I still think though with a similar pad and good fluid i think you guys should be fine. Until you get to ridiculous velocity over and over again.

Even last year at the dragon i was running unknown rotors, only front stainless lines, run of the mill dot3 fluid, and EBC greens and i only got fluid fade at the bottom of the very last run, and my car was closer to 2600lbs then. Never had pad glazing, nothing other than the fluid itself overheating.

CMS-GT4

I have slotted rotors, porterfields and some high temp fluid and my brakes held up fairly well on the dragon a few months ago. Over the run I could notice the loss of response. I want a firmer pedal feel and more initial brake torque.

crazy_russian

Which EBC redstuff part number do you use on 165?
EBC catalog lists the same pads for 88-93 Altrac, but Toyota has different part numbers for pads for st165 and st185 (04465-20430 and 04465-20090 respectively). I know the caliper is different, so it's suspicious.

gt4tified

Current setup (2piston caliper) - Mintex Pads (UK brand)

New setup (single piston) - Akebono (my friends with the Levin/Trueno really love these)