Supra/MR2 to alltrac Hub conversion

CMS-GT4

Has anyone had a chance to compare the supra or mr2 hubs to the alltrac ones. If they could be switched out more wheel options could be availible. Of course this is better for those of use who are doing custom brake setups.

silverarrow

And it's actually a good way to have better wheel choices. I'm thinking you can, but then you'd need to use their rotors and calipers too if the supra does in fact use bigger/thicker rotors.

alltracman78

Thier calipers will only work if
1- the bolt pattern on the axle carrier is the same, or
2-you make a adapter for the caliper

silverarrow

I forgot about the axle carrier bolt pattern for the caliper....only one way to find out. Get both of them and compare.

Well if you are talking about me, I am here, but I will be laying
under my alltrac most of the day. Too nice of a day to waste.
The remaining driveshafts and drivers side rear suspension is
coming, so is the rear differential

My questions on this:

1) What does the suspension look like on the Supras and MR2,
maybe we could just bolt on the entire hub,carrier,calipers
if the axle splines line up. I know, I know, pretty sure that the
suspension links are different :twisted:
but aftermarket for MKIV supra brakes is probably great

2) I think I have spare ST185 hubs and I know I have a
complete front set of carrier/hubs/dust shield in the basement

I no longer have extra parts for a MR2, I sold my project MR2 T and
now just have a nice low mileage MR2 that really doesnt need any
work done on it

alltracman78

Yeah, I got extra AT hub/carriers :p , but no MR2/Supra stuff.
Dunno about the other two's carriers in the front. Do you think it would work? [with axles]

jprine01

I've owned supras, there is no way in hell the whole hub axle carrier would bolt up from a supra. Supras have double wishbone syspension, alltrac has mcphearson superstruts.. totally different.

BraveUlysses

jprine01":x8vmv4lj said:
I've owned supras, there is no way in hell the whole hub axle carrier would bolt up from a supra. Supras have double wishbone syspension, alltrac has mcphearson superstruts.. totally different.

ST205's have superstrut suspensions. The ST165 and 185 have regular McPherson strut systems.

jprine01

Oh sorry to mis-inform. What is the difference?
Anyway the supra has 2 control arms upper and lower, with the mcphearson it takes place of the upper arm, and there is only lower arm. Whats different about the superstrut on the 205?

CMS-GT4

The only thing we really need to compare is if the hub will fit in the alltrac assebmly, and if the axel will fit in the hub. If that will work, then one would just need to get some custom rotors (possibly adjusting the z axis of the calipers) and should be set. I am doing a big brake kit with custom everything anyway so, as long as the hub fits, I would be set.

alltracman78

If your getting a kit with custom everything anyways, why bother? Wouldn't it be easier to get rotors with 5x100? hats than trying to swap 4 hubs into your car?

I could see it being worth the effort if it all bolted in, but........

alltracman78

Gary":1bj0zihy said:
http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/superstrut.htm

Wow, I was thinking about trying this on my AT, but never really got into it. Leave it to Toyota to develope something so frikin complicated. :doh:

CMS-GT4

alltracman78":26iv9r4h said:
If your getting a kit with custom everything anyways, why bother? Wouldn't it be easier to get rotors with 5x100? hats than trying to swap 4 hubs into your car?

I could see it being worth the effort if it all bolted in, but........

Well it would be, and I had already done that, but for the option of more wheel choices then one could swap hubs rather then being limited in wheel brands and styles.