BC Racing coilovers?

Toxygene

Has anyone heard of or used of http://www.bc-racing.co.uk's coilovers?

They have two different sets for the ST185: http://www.bc-racing.co.uk/vehicle-check.asp?manID=13&modID=91#info

BR Series Coilover : Type RA
For Street and Circuit Use
br-series-coilover.jpg

RM Series Inverted Coilover : Type MH
For Fast Road and Pro Circuit Use
rm-series-coilover.jpg

I came across them while looking for coilovers for my in-law's car.

lumbercis

I want to say their G35 has competed in some american Time Attack events, but that's all I've ever heard of them.

That said, those coilovers look GREAT! I especially like the ride height adjustment being independent of the lower spring collar. Not only does it let you corner weight the car without sacrificing damper travel, but for those of you who are going for the "hellaflush" look ( :D ) these will let you dump the car as far as you want without hitting the bump stops.

The only thing I don't like is that, despite all the great information on construction and features, they didn't list the spring rates and damping rates for the coilovers, which is really the information you need if you are making a performance decision.

That said, just based on the ad blurbs and looks of them, I'd spend money on these before I bought another set of Tein SS (not impressed).

LegacyofDan

lumbercis":whcm1oe1 said:
The only thing I don't like is that, despite all the great information on construction and features, they didn't list the spring rates and damping rates for the coilovers, which is really the information you need if you are making a performance decision.

BR
Front Spring Rate : 8kg/mm (446.9lbs/in)
Rear Spring Rate : 4kg/mm (223.5lbs/in)

RM

jackett

They seem to be getting good reports from the ST205/Superstrut crowd. And considering the complexity of the SS design if it works for the ST205 it works for the ST185.

After having coilovers on my car for a year and putting back on struts and springs there are a couple of things I would do. First, on the road I would always have tender springs fitted, they make such a difference for comfort. Secondly I'd budget the price of the coilovers plus another couple hundred for two or three sets of different rate springs as I find the ones that come fitted are never to your liking and one person reckons 600lbs is soft and another 450lbs is too hard!
My only real gripe with "cheap" aftermarket coilovers is they are never full travel. Not everyone wants the fender two inches over the tyre :)
Anyhow, here are two threads that are basically the same but on different forums:

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?sho ... +coilovers

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?sho ... +coilovers

lumbercis

LegacyofDan":g9hpfaei said:
BR

RM

Woops! I totally missed that. I think I just clicked on the first link and not the ST185 specific page. :oops:

Why would they have the same spring rates for both the street and circuit versions? Typo? :shrug:

LegacyofDan

i figured as such, no worries man. :) ..i have done it before too :)

i was thinking the same thing, it perplexed me as well. Idk either. :shrug:

Roundy

I've bought a set of the RM series ones to replace my G4s...

They seem very well build and look and feel very beefy.

I chose spring rates of 8/5.

More info after i have installed them, which won't be for another few weeks unfortunately.

Toxygene

Roundy":d5kune2p said:
I've bought a set of the RM series ones to replace my G4s...

They seem very well build and look and feel very beefy.

I chose spring rates of 8/5.

More info after i have installed them, which won't be for another few weeks unfortunately.

I'll be interested to see how they work out for you.

Insanity-74

I`ll be putting a set of these on the Corolla :D had good reviews from some of the GT4OC who have used them...a couple of hic ups with the ST205s which I`m sure will be sorted out.

mike325ci

BC Racing in the MR2 world:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=363569

Great discussion with dyno charts and actual empirical data on D2 Coilovers and other "cheap" coilovers:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=333205

The BC one:
I would consider something like this later down the line... :) No one sells them in the USA, correct? Just have to buy them directly from the UK? Only thing about that is support and having to send them back across the pond for servicing...

Toxygene

Insanity-74":1rjql40v said:
mike325ci":1rjql40v said:
The BC one:
I would consider something like this later down the line... :) No one sells them in the USA, correct? Just have to buy them directly from the UK? Only thing about that is support and having to send them back across the pond for servicing...

http://www.bcracing-na.com/contact.php

+ I see them sold on E-bay USA, in fact that's how I came across them in the first place.

i've been reading up on them from various forums, including the guys in the UK. seems to be a good product from all the initial writeups. the EVO and STi guys like them too. You can find dealers in the US for sure. They are out there. In a pinch check out dealers that do EVO stuff, they have a line on BC racing. There is distribution as mentioned in an earlier thread. Getting them from Australia, New Zealand and the UK isnt bad either since the exchange rates are bad, at least for the CAD dollar:)

i've been reading up on them from various forums, including the guys in the UK. seems to be a good product from all the initial writeups. the EVO and STi guys like them too. You can find dealers in the US for sure. They are out there. In a pinch check out dealers that do EVO stuff, they have a line on BC racing. There is distribution as mentioned in an earlier thread. Getting them from Australia, New Zealand and the UK isnt bad either since the exchange rates are bad, at least for the CAD dollar:)

MWP

You guys need to read this:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

Remember this list:
* Bilstein
* Penske
* Koni
* Ohlins
* Sachs
* Dynamic Suspension
Not on this list? Almost certainly crap.
Where there's no Bilstein fitment and Penskes are too expensive, Konis are usually perfectly adaquate. They are, by far, the best budget shock and better than any of the crap coming out of Japan. JIC, GAB, Tokiko, Tein - synonyms for "crap".

Im sticking with Koni's.
Ive had Koni Yellows in my Starlet GT (were awesome) and will soon have some in my GT4.
Ive also got Koni 8611 racing shocks in my project car.

i've read it, and i'm sure a lot of the older members here have as well. We would all love a set of Bilts or Penskes if they made them for the GT4, but sadly they don't. I actually had an email conversation with the Ohlin's rep and he said they don't have a application for the GT4 and kindly gave me a couple companies that they supply to that may be interested in doing a custom setup with Ohlins components. Obviously that would be a bit too even for my blood and I don't mind spending good money on certain parts. Konis are fine. i, personally don't want to go through the whole cutting the rear shock bodies deal. I probably share the same feelings as other members here that we always welcome new products form companies that want to support the GT4 / Alltrac community as it is a dying breed. So if these BC Racing coilovers are decent, i'm not expecting Biltstein or Penske all worldness, i think they are worth trying out. When there aren't many options for our cars, it would be foolish not to give them a chance.

GrpAGT4

From what ive researched about them they seem pretty good. They seem to be a new company that is trying to get into the higher end market over time. Their dual resevoir coilovers look awsome. The BR's are the only one available for our cars though i think. If when the time comes to do my suspension i can afford DMS 40mm streets then the BC BR's are the ones i'll be going for.