ST165 to ST185 Strut Spacer In Production

935motorsports

I have ordered to be cut, 100 pieces of spacers that will allow ST185 strut housings to be bolted into the ST165 Hub using ST165 Bolts.

It's basically a small washer in the correct size to allow ST165 the ST165 bolts to be used without play.

Feel free to post any comments or suggestions. It will require 8 pieces for the 2 front struts. Target price is $29 per set of 8.

935motorsports

I still want to install a set and make sure it all works before selling.

These are machined from T6 aluminum, and allow the ST165 bolts to be used on the ST185 strut housing. This allows you to put ST185 struts on without having to upgrade the brake/axle combination.

These should work with TEINS, but I'll have to get John a set to try it out.

DSC00200.jpg

PreGrid

Just for clarification...

the st185 struts are LONGER or SHORTER than the st165 struts?

Are the springs LONGER OR SHORTER?

Are they STRONGER or WEAKER?

Scott
-------

rally%20guys.gif

935motorsports

Shorter Struts
Shorter Springs
Higher Rate

It's basically the same, but a little beefier for more travel. You have to figure Toyota changed it for some reason. The concern though, is that if the setup is stronger, it may actually raise the car. There are also alignment issues that could come into play.

I'm using an OEM 184 strut with 185 lowering springs and see where that puts me. I'm coming from 165 lowering springs with a stock setup so I imagine it will raise the car.

PreGrid

Therein lies the problem... I want to go UP. Not down.

I got a set of 185 springs and installed them on the s65 mounts and the car went down although it did seem a bit stiffer.

I ended up building my own "version" of the struts by picking up a set of 185 bodies and cutting the tops off of them and welding them onto the 165 bodies and now I have RE-Usable strut bodies.

I installed Tokico 5 way adj. MRs inserts in the bodes and they have about 1.5 inch MORE travel than the 165 did... BUT...

The stock springs are so soft they won't push the car UP at all.

I would REALLY like a taller spring as I Rally and am to cheap to spend $5000 on a set of DMS coil-overs.

Anyway... just thought I would ask.

By the way, I do LOVE the new suspension. It's tight, adjustable, stable, solid and... best of all... it's made the car faster, tunable and more stable in the Rally Course.

Seems like there's no need for me to switch to 185s... Thanks anyway.

Scott
------

rally%20guys.gif

PreGrid

Any MR2 rear spring? Does it matter the year or the torbo/non-turbo? Don't know but before I go out buying more springs I don't need... LOL!

Incidentally, I have a set of st186 Springs and a set of non all trac Celica Springs if anyone's interested. :D

Thanks for the tip!

Scott
------

rally%20guys.gif

935motorsports

not sure if the turbo ones are diff.

Look for MR2 turbo oem springs, rear.

Usually there are sets for free or a few dollars. I paid $20 for a pair. I put them on uncut and it raised the rear about half an inch. I ended up liking it that way because on launch the car would not squat anymore. It would just take off nicely.

PreGrid

I half inch? That's it?

I guess on a stock set of st165 struts that's all you would get, eh?

I wonder if, with the longer strut I have, if it would come up even more... hmmm...

Where did you find your springs? Gotta link, an idea, a friend... a clue? :D

Thanks again!

Scott
---------

rally%20guys.gif

935motorsports

Hey on a stock height, adding half an inch is a very big deal. I did like however being able to hit speed bumps at full speed and catch a micro second of air. A real odd but fun feeling. (rally bug starts) That was on blown stock rears.

go to mr2oc.com or ebay

lots of stock springs I'm sure.

alltrac.net

I installed these today.

They fit well as expected. I put on ST185 struts only, leaving the original 165 hubs and brakes, etc.

I put on a new set of KYB GR2 for ST185 and Lowering Springs for ST185. The car is just as low as with the ST165 setup. However, the car is now very stiff. I can't wait to give it a drive. I can't even push down on the car. This might prove to be the ultimate low buck setup.