interest in custom brackets to fit porsche calipers

gtfourtc

Okay so I am looking at making so more brackets to fit the porsche calipers, I thought I would get some feed back from anyone interested in doing this and what they would like to see In terms of rotors. Currently I am looking at making the brackets to fit with rotors from the e46 bmw m3 these are 325x28mm with an overall depth of 52.5mm. The other option is the subaru wrx sti rotors which are 326x30mm with an overall depth of 52.7mm so basically either rotor would work with the bracket, the only difference would be the need to redrill the bolt pattern of the bmw rotors, and for the subaru rotors you would need to file the pins on the porsche caliper to fit the wider disc. Both would require hub rings to center the rotor on the hub which i would provide as well.

iIve thought about doing this as well. things to consider. Since you're saving $$ on retrofitting Porsche calipers (compared to the coveted AP racing kit for the ST185) I would want to use a nice 2 piece rotor/aluminum hat setup around the 300-330mm size x 28-30mm. WRX STI applications are a good start but pretty much anything where you can get a hat in 5x100 so you don't have to redrill the bolt pattern. I would also base it on Porsche radial mount calipers and not the older porsche / brembo non radial mount versions. Evo and G35/350Z calipers are non radial and a BS when you try to create a nice clean billet bracket. Those are just my thoughts. I know some guys on here are on a slim budget so a setup like the one I'm thinking of is still out of the price range, but still way cheaper than the AP setup. You can get Boxster S and some 996/997/998 4pots for $300-600 a pair on fleabay. Cayanne 6pots may be interesting too but may be a bit big but i see a bunch online. keep us posted on what you plan to do.

gtfourtc

I see you have done some good research as well. You make a good point about being able to use a 2 piece rotor setup. That is one thing niece about the bmw and subaru rotors you can get them in a two piece option if you want to spend a little more money. The nice thing for those on a budget is that you can get the rotors from stoptech for around 125 buck per rotor. For a note on weights the bmw rotors weigh 19lbs and the sti ones are about 23 lbs. Oh and the brackets would be made to fit the boxster s/ 911 carrera front calipers.

Once you pin down what rotor you are going to base your brackets on I'd be interested in a set of brackets for sure. You thinking of just making brackets right or are you thinking of creating a one stop shopping package with calipers, rotors and brackets? Its easy enough to find rotors and calipers. The brackets done properly where the caliper is aligned perfectly and maximize the sweep of the pad to rotor is key.

gtfourtc

here is some info on bmw rotor options

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results. ... toModClar=

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/de ... 82801-ZIMM

http://www.racingbrake.com/M3_E46_s/3234.htm

and here are some subaru options

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/results. ... toModClar=

http://www.racingbrake.com/SUBARU_STi_s/4392.htm

so you pretty much have your choice of anything you would want from 85 bucks up to 1000. one interesting thing is to look at the weight differences, for example the subaru racing brake 2 piece rotors weigh 18.5 lbs vs the 1 piece bmw rotors which weight 19.5 lbs. So that 1 lb weight savings cost you around 500 dollars.

phattyduck

I'll vouch for the quality of the brackets. Correct studs for the calipers, correct nuts and washers, etc. (though I am replacing the buggered up Jet Nuts that came with my used kit. :p )

I would suggest sticking with the correct 28mm thick rotor, whatever the plan. Stepping up to a 325-330-ish mm rotor would make for good brake balance with ST205 rear brakes and is probably within the workable range for the caliper (318x28mm stock disks on the Porsche).

For all those suggesting aftermarket rotors - keep in mind the Porsche Brembo calipers are designed for brake pads with a large annular sweep. Most 2-piece aftermarket rotors wouldn't work unless they are for a stock replacement applications.

-Charlie

gtfourtc

thanks Charlie, oh and sorry about the buggered nuts, sent you an email about them.

Oh and Charlie makes a good point about the pad sweep of the porsche calipers being larger. Like the st205 caliper there needs to be about 60mm of pad sweep on the discs, and this does eliminate pretty much anything from brembo, stoptech, and wilwood, without going to custom hats which will cost quite a bit. luckyly rotors like the bmw and sti disc both have 60-65mm of pad area, and they have oem 2 piece replacements available to those looking for a weight reduction.

gtfourtc

So i thought i would ask if anyone has a spare front upright and hub I should be making some brackets in the next couple week and want to verify the fitment for the alltrac.

Mitsuslider

If this can be done for st165s Im definitely interested, not in bmw rotors though cuz i wouldnt wanna have to have them redrilled everytime i need to change a rotor. I dont know alot about converting brakes but I am definitely looking to buy a bigger brake setup for my 165 both front and rear. so....

gtfourtc

the st165 shouldnt be any harder i would just need a couple of dimensions to locate the bracket properly, Oh I agree not having to redrill brake rotors is great however how often do you change rotors, quality rotors should last more than 50k so redrilling would be every 3 or 4 years. Of course track use would wear them out quicker. Pretty much the only rotors to use with the 5x100 bolt pattern are those from the 04 wrx sti, and they work as long as you file down the pins on the calipers that locate the pads, otherwise the calipers can only fit a rotor 28mm wide. so if you dont want to file down the pins you would have to shave the sti rotors down to the minimum thickness. The only other source for 5x100 rotor might be some audi/ vw applications most have a much shallower rotor meaning that the caliper might not clear the spokes of your rims without spacers. Right now I would say i am leaning towards the sti rotors, tomorrow i will be doing some work in the machine shop so i want to see if i can get the centering rings to fit them to the alltrac.

gtfourtc

Good point lol maybe these will be better.

draw1d.jpg

draw2c.jpg

T3K_ST165

just wanted to say....Baller!!! better than my idea of trying to use Evo calipers with custom 2 piece rotors. Are you planning on selling these or open sourcing the design?

gtfourtc

I would probably be down to both sell some and provide the solidworks files/ drawings. I know some people dont have access to a machine shop. I also know there are those like me that really enjoy making their own stuff.

gtfourtc

So i have a st185 front spindle coming so i should be able to get some solid dimensions. And i am pretty sure that the st185 and the st165 brake ears are in the same location.

gtfourtc

so i got my st185 spindle today and took measurements they were all super close to what mitsuslider gave me from his st165, the only one different was the center of the spindle to the center of the caliper ear, the measurement i got was the same as my old tc. I am pretty sure the st165 and 185 have the same dimensions for the caliper ears. Hey mitsuslider if you want to double check your center to center measurement im betting its the same as the st185 which is 85mm. the way i measured it is by wrapping tape around a sturdy pen, i put that in the caliper ear and spin it around on a piece of paper. Here is what that looks like

Uploaded with ImageShack.us