165 power steering delete....

Mitsuslider

So Im working on deleting my powersteering, anyone got any tips on a manual rack that fits the 165, or how to convert my rack to manual?

klue

You can just take it out, leave the rack with some fluid and cap the lines.

The steering gets uber heavy, personally I like the PS on the alltrac

Mitsuslider

yeah but everything in mine is bad (the pump, the lines, the rack seals, i.e. everything) and i really dont feel like replacing everything. I read some where that you could convert the power rack to a manual rack by changing a few things but cant remember where i read it.

MXP_57

I paid 100aud for a power steering shop to remove the seals around the cylinder inside the rack and get it fully packed with grease. It's like a manual rack now. They fully checked the rack also for that price.

I tried capping the line at the beginning but it made it really awful and heavy.

I had to explain for like 5 min why i wanted to do this lol, they couldn't understand. :D

sleeper

I have done that on mine, was not hard to do.. you just open the rack and remove the seals in there..
Takes you about 2 hours if you never done it before ( and 30 min if you have..)

MXP_57

Good to know it's easy. You don't need any special tools?

I was rebuilding my engine on the kitchen table at the time so i was under pressure (girlfriend lol). :lol:

Mitsuslider

yeah i dont even know where to begin on a steering rack after taking it out of the car lol. So more info would be great.

lumbercis

Mitsuslider":lkg1hf2x said:
yeah but everything in mine is bad (the pump, the lines, the rack seals, i.e. everything) and i really dont feel like replacing everything. I read some where that you could convert the power rack to a manual rack by changing a few things but cant remember where i read it.

:doh: You own a 20+ year old car. This is called "maintenance" and it is something you should budget for. The solution to a maintenance problem isn't to rip out the system. :bangshead:

J.

MXP_57

It's not THE solution, but it's A solution... Especially when you see the price of the parts, and how crap the feel of the power steering is. Even for parking it's not even hard with the converted rack. And you finally feel straight away when you start loosing grip. Like if your hands are running on top of the road.

I've removed everything that could be removed on my car. And now it's sooooo simple, so empty, that basically i just have to take care of the engine and the suspensions. But it's still an st165, with the original bodykit, etc... and i don't feel like i've butchered my car at all.

Mitsuslider

agreed, its MY solution, and I dont give a damn what anyone thinks of it. Power steering only helps under 25 mph anyway, but mine doesnt work at all. I have removed the power steering from all my cars except the vw that my wife drives cause thats the way I like it. I WILL be deleting all the powersteering from my alltrac.

Mitsuslider

I did this, getting the rack out was the only hard part. The only special tool I used was my dremel and now I love it. Also deleted the a/c and cruise and all the various brackets. This really cleaned up ALOT of my engine compartment.

Douglas Quaid

SWEET! i hate how the steering feels so light. this seems pretty easy. im gonna do it tomorrow since i have my engine and trans out. ill post some pics and such.

Mitsuslider

Be sure to check out that miata link first, once you see how to take the rack apart its a breeze. Very simple, I suggest you pack the rack with axle/bearing greese when you put it back together.

TRDTurko

hmm I am almost considering doing this for autocross... but I am only planning on using my 165 for autocross for one season then its going to be a show car. So I think I will keep the power steering.