Porsche Brembo Calipers and STi Rotors

phattyduck

Also, the choice of brake pads can make a difference... Some pads are crazy noisy, others only make noise at certain brake pressures/speeds. My first set of pads was noisy, my current ones are silent so far.

-Charlie

C-dubb

Just Porsche calipers huh? No specific model or year? I know they're pretty standard but want to make sure I don't get the only ones that won't work.

underscore

You need the front calipers off a 99-2005 911 Carrera 2/4 996, 2000-2008 Boxster S or a 2006-2008 Cayman, Porsche part #996.351.425 & 996.351.426, I got mine off a 2002 Boxter S (3.2L)

They may say Porsche on them or they may say Brembo, regardless they should have the part # on them as part of the mold (raised numbers) and small raised letters saying Brembo. Doing some research into pads Porsche owners don't seem to think there's much difference between the regular Boxter (non-Brembo) and Boxter S (Brembo) calipers so you might be able to use those for cheaper.

C-dubb

^ Thanks a lot underscore!

I meant to ask also, are there adapter brackets available anywhere, the link for them was dead.

underscore

I remember looking into those with Tubasteve, other than the bolt pattern being wrong I believe there were other reasons why it wouldn't work.

underscore

I can't remember off the top of my head but the 350Z rotor has the following specs:
Bore Diameter (mm): 68
Discard Thickness (mm): 28.4
Initial Thickness (mm): 30.0
Outside Diameter (mm): 324
Overall Depth (mm): 49

And the STi:
Bore Diameter (mm): 58.07
Discard Thickness (mm): 22
Initial Thickness (mm): 24
Outside Diameter (mm): 293.2
Overall Depth (mm): 56.64

And for reference, the Celica's:
Bore Diameter (mm): 54.14
Discard Thickness (mm): 23
Initial Thickness (mm): 24.9
Outside Diameter (mm): 276.899999
Overall Depth (mm): 46.15

It looks like the 350Z rotor is too big and too thick, not to mention you'll need to have it drilled to the 5x100 and get some big hubcentric rings. You're also pushing the rotor further out from the hub which means the caliper moves further out, to the point where you have to worry about clearance to the back of your spokes as the STi setup already has it very close.

MWP

Isnt that the wrong STi rotor size?
Aren't we interested in the larger one:
12047019.JPG

The 350Z rotor looks quite good other than the bolt PCD.
12042076.jpg

underscore

Looks like you're right, the specs I got were labelled STi but they seem to be wrong.

Either way, you've got to make sure the "height" is enough to fit on our cars (though I doubt it would be a problem) and that the calipers will clear the back of the wheels. I know with my wheels there's no way the calipers would clear without an additional 10mm spacer as well, and then I'd be hitting the fenders with my tires.

Akihero

does anyone remember if there was a ring needed to make the rotors fit onto the celica i was planning on ordering the calipers and wanted to know what else i need

Awesome-Trac

Akihero":1qw48ks8 said:
does anyone remember if there was a ring needed to make the rotors fit onto the celica i was planning on ordering the calipers and wanted to know what else i need

Yes or the rotor won't sit properly on the bore. You can run it without but that will put more stess on the studs kind of like running wheel adapters without the hub centric ring to hold it in place