Best suspension for a DD

celigts

So shop said I'm gonna be needing new shocks so I was wondering what's a decent make and model to get. Looking at 160 max per shock. But nothing less than $70.

I'll be keeping the stock springs unless I find a good price on stiffer springs with the same height.

UtahSleeper

Depends on what you mean by better. Stock shocks being new were probably pretty smooth and absorbed most road issues while not being to stiff or bouncy.

For DD, if not looking for performance suspension, I would rebuild the stockers and get new springs since they are probably ancient.

celigts

Sorry ill clarify. I meant by not performance is I don't wanna spend the money on coilovers.

I am an aggressive driver cuz of the slow Mennonites in my area.. And I love driving my car!

celigts

I am a fine welder. It's my occupation :) its what I get paid to do ;) but I don't wanna wreck anything. I'm a horrible fabricator. I'm surprised my heat shield is doing well and my buddy has some d2 coilovers and are purple. I forget the info on them. But mr2 is different then alltrac so I passed.

Droptop93

To replace the suspension properly(I.E new struts,strut mounts, insolaters,springs ect) its going to end up costing the same or probably more then a good set of megan or bc racing coilovers........ did the math once but I don't know the exact cost difference. Just food for thought. :doh:

UtahSleeper

Didn't know you were a welder. My bad. I would buy a blown set of stock struts and modify them. You can buy the new top piece and weld it on. Seems easy as I have seen alot of people do it here and on other forums.

Either way, let us know what you decide on :)

lumbercis

Best Suspension for a DD is stock (refreshed if necessary)
If you want a sportier ride, I'd go with konis (NOT Kybs) and stock springs.
If you need lowering springs for the look I'd go for only a very mild drop if you want to keep the handling and ride decent
I wouldn't put any of the cheap coilover kits on my car if you paid me (BC, D2 etc.).

UtahSleeper

lumbercis":2ojd7y18 said:
Best Suspension for a DD is stock (refreshed if necessary)
If you want a sportier ride, I'd go with konis (NOT Kybs) and stock springs.
If you need lowering springs for the look I'd go for only a very mild drop if you want to keep the handling and ride decent
I wouldn't put any of the cheap coilover kits on my car if you paid me (BC, D2 etc.).

What is the difference? I know megan makes their stuff nice and pretty, but are their springs that much better? I ask cause the sleeve and adjusters can't be that much different. Then the rest of it is the fabricators works.

lumbercis

The difference is engineering and quality control:
http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html

I've personally had Tein SS on my car which the above author would describe as "crap" and honestly, they were fine for bombing around the streets. But what reading his articles taught me is that coilovers are not inherently "better" than a good shock/spring combo, and often worse. Note that his "crap" list are what would normally be considered quality japanese brands. He doesn't even mention stuff like D2, BC, or Megan, which are knockoffs of crap, so likely perform accordingly.

For the alltrac, Koni is really the only decent reasonably priced choice (other than stock).

J.