Is there a difference between 1988 and 1989?

brad0105

With the shocks and springs? Looking for coilovers for my st165, but can't find any for an 88. Only an 89 are there any differences???

brad0105

I know there's modification that needs to be done If I go for the st185 coilovers, I'm just not sure how its done at all, I just keep getting bits and pieces of information not a forsure answer, :bangshead: can anyone give me a step-by-step guide on how to mat up the tein ss coilovers to my 88 st165????

klue

You can modify your front control arms to fit the st185 stuff (as I have done)
Or you can modify your st165 hubs to accept the st185 shock.

monkey8oi

i currently run Tein SS coilovers for the st185 on my st165... i bought a spacer kit from 935 motorsports a couple years back for it (dont bother looking for them there now cause they're no longer in business)... but all it is, is a little ring the size of a dime that is used as a spacer for the two bolts where the coilover and the hub is connected.. i'm sure you can make them or might be able to source it at a hardware store..

st165-alltrac

i saw some kyb 4 way adjustable struts if you wanna stray from coilovers . but i just deleted the bookmark on my computer. ill try to find the website for you. not sure about springs. are the ones on the car any good?

dustinbart

I've got got KYB struts and Mr2 eiback springs in the back and the fronts are stock but cut. I think it looks good and it handles much better than my other stock suspension st165.

brad0105

Well looks like I'm just going to buy the SS coilovers and then go from there, since it doesn't seem to be a HUGE problem fixing them together, thanks all. My new engine is coming along nicely! Will be starting a build thread shortly!