Rear shocks?

Suspension and other discussion

Rear shocks?

Postby Curry » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 pm

I've been checking the usual parts sources and can not seem to find rear shocks/struts for my car.

For the front I found Monroe cartridges Part # 73238. Is that correct?

1988 ST165

Help I'm bouncing all over the place =/
Members don't see the above ad. Register now - it's free!
1988 ST165 - My Daily
2002 WRX - Wife's Daily
1999 Lexus GS300 - Sold
1993 SC300 - T61 Turbo - 310whp- Wrecked
1996 SC400 V8 - Brother Wrecked
1994 Camry V6 - Sold
Curry
Club Member
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:37 am

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby tubasteve » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 am

Rear are next to none on the 185. Maybe look for used? And convert them to take other inserts like the 185 does with mr2 fronts all around.

An idea i had was 2002 high Lander struts....but i have adjustable cool overs on my other two and modified new ones on another.

Just some in sight
feb. 1990 alltrac red one: fun machine http://tinyurl.com/Tubasteve
5x114 conversion: http://tinyurl.com/nu3qnez
Image
User avatar
tubasteve
Established Member
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: temecula, ca(951)

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby fussellbug » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:46 pm

According to the Monroe.com catalog their rear struts (71865, 71866) DO NOT fit the All-Trac but O'Reilly autoparts website shows that they do fit the All-Trac as well as the other 88-89 Celica models.

I also found the application guide for Tokico shocks which lists their model number interchange with the OEM part numbers. Tokico part number B3043, B3044 are used as replacements for rear struts on the All-Trac and the other 88-89 Celica models.

I wouldn't consider this conclusive evidence but you might try a physical side by side comparison of your strut and one made for the FWD Celica.
fussellbug
Club Member
 
Posts: 289
Images: 36
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 7:17 pm

1990 Toyota Celica

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby tommy8768 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:48 pm

those Tokicos are for ST162-front wheel drive celicas only
tommy8768
Club Member
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:22 pm
Location: Fall River, MA

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby tubasteve » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:13 pm

The rears goes are wrong for the fwd.I've seen people try to re drill them...towed to my shop.
feb. 1990 alltrac red one: fun machine http://tinyurl.com/Tubasteve
5x114 conversion: http://tinyurl.com/nu3qnez
Image
User avatar
tubasteve
Established Member
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: temecula, ca(951)

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby Curry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:19 pm

I guess I'll have to settle with fronts for now and at some point source out some 185 coils. I really don't want coils now becuase I want to do everything on the suspension head to toe first. I've read that they are direct bolt on to the 165 without mods.

I might ask my shop if they can find something for the rear that will probably save me some time.
1988 ST165 - My Daily
2002 WRX - Wife's Daily
1999 Lexus GS300 - Sold
1993 SC300 - T61 Turbo - 310whp- Wrecked
1996 SC400 V8 - Brother Wrecked
1994 Camry V6 - Sold
Curry
Club Member
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:37 am

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby celicat93 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:08 pm

fussellbug wrote:According to the Monroe.com catalog their rear struts (71865, 71866) DO NOT fit the All-Trac but O'Reilly autoparts website shows that they do fit the All-Trac as well as the other 88-89 Celica models.

I also found the application guide for Tokico shocks which lists their model number interchange with the OEM part numbers. Tokico part number B3043, B3044 are used as replacements for rear struts on the All-Trac and the other 88-89 Celica models.

I wouldn't consider this conclusive evidence but you might try a physical side by side comparison of your strut and one made for the FWD Celica.


There are a few sites that say that they have struts that work for ST185's, but it's a mistake.
celicat93
Club Member
 
Posts: 723
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:20 am

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby 88gt4DE » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:11 pm

165 Rear strut insert conversion so you can use front insert in rear and is then replaceable ... I have pictures on my project thread and info ...
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
User avatar
88gt4DE
Established Member
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:44 am
Location: New Castle , DE

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby Curry » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:10 pm

88gt4DE wrote:165 Rear strut insert conversion so you can use front insert in rear and is then replaceable ... I have pictures on my project thread and info ...


Thank you sir, I will check that out!

So the fronts that websites list are those correct?
1988 ST165 - My Daily
2002 WRX - Wife's Daily
1999 Lexus GS300 - Sold
1993 SC300 - T61 Turbo - 310whp- Wrecked
1996 SC400 V8 - Brother Wrecked
1994 Camry V6 - Sold
Curry
Club Member
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:37 am

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby 88gt4DE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 am

Curry wrote:
88gt4DE wrote:165 Rear strut insert conversion so you can use front insert in rear and is then replaceable ... I have pictures on my project thread and info ...


Thank you sir, I will check that out!

So the fronts that websites list are those correct?



I'm not saying that but I think I posted what I used , my brother ( 97jza80 ) did the same conversion and used adjustable agx inserts in his ... so there are some choices based on how much ya wanna spend 8)
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
User avatar
88gt4DE
Established Member
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:44 am
Location: New Castle , DE

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby lumbercis » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:10 pm

I really wish someone/a shop would do the rear insert conversion as a service. It's not trivial if you don't have welding skills. And without a rear insert conversion pretty much your only choice is to buy new OEM rear struts or buy coilovers all around. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for the service.
Caldina powered...
Image
lumbercis
Gold Member
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Washington, D.C.

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby 88gt4DE » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm

lumbercis wrote:I really wish someone/a shop would do the rear insert conversion as a service. It's not trivial if you don't have welding skills. And without a rear insert conversion pretty much your only choice is to buy new OEM rear struts or buy coilovers all around. I'd be willing to pay a pretty penny for the service.



Let me talk to my brother and see what we can do for ya .... might be a week or so .... 8)
Rob
1988 ST165 - 77K - Project ---> http://www.alltrac.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=31483&start=240
2000 Toyota Tundra SR5 - 162K - DD - Thanks 97JZA80
2007 Toyota Rav4 - 110K - My girls DD
1999 Honda Civic - 116K - Highway Runner
User avatar
88gt4DE
Established Member
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:44 am
Location: New Castle , DE

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby Curry » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:32 pm

Yea put me down too. That is a little beyond my DIY comfort zone.
1988 ST165 - My Daily
2002 WRX - Wife's Daily
1999 Lexus GS300 - Sold
1993 SC300 - T61 Turbo - 310whp- Wrecked
1996 SC400 V8 - Brother Wrecked
1994 Camry V6 - Sold
Curry
Club Member
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Fri May 04, 2012 2:37 am

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby tubasteve » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:51 am

I have a full set with the mr2 cartridges on all four. They have less then 1k on them. I fitted the car February last year, bought my black car late Feb last year. And the red one sat until i got my custom suspension.

Maybe for sale. I'm still learning about weights for shipping.my biggest problem is i work when post office is open...Monday though Friday.730-630, Saturday 8-4


It's not that bad of a diy.

I could do it if shipped.. The rears might be hard to come by
feb. 1990 alltrac red one: fun machine http://tinyurl.com/Tubasteve
5x114 conversion: http://tinyurl.com/nu3qnez
Image
User avatar
tubasteve
Established Member
 
Posts: 1149
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:48 pm
Location: temecula, ca(951)

Re: Rear shocks?

Postby lumbercis » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:22 pm

What's is the correct part # for the rear for Koni inserts? (or KYB for that matter). I've had a hard time nailing it down from searching what people have actually used and been happy with.
Caldina powered...
Image
lumbercis
Gold Member
 
Posts: 2346
Joined: Fri May 13, 2005 4:52 am
Location: Washington, D.C.

Next

Return to Handling and Braking

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron